1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allen Hurns & Albert Wilson Opt Out

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Destroyer, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Still a decent amount of lives and COVID-19 still isn't a year old. It has plenty of time to kill more people

Silverphin likes this.
  2. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007

He didnt die so its completely fine!

Silverphin likes this.
  3. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Yup. Protected by his peak athleticism with no lasting issues.

4. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    He gained 12lbs during quarantine? Was he quarantined longer than 14 days? It doesn't say that he had any significant issues requiring hospitalization. He also had strep throat. Attributing this solely to covid isn't accurate, and neither the article nor the coaches are putting it on covid. The article mentions mental issues stemming from covid/strep.

Seems a little odd.

5. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    He had strep throat and GAINED 10-12 pounds and then he couldn't handle the workouts.

Ok.

Sounds like he is just out of shape and mentally checked out of football.

resnor likes this.
  6. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    I mean did they even read the article? Lol

resnor likes this.
  7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Hospitalization is only when they think the person is going to die. You can still be knocked on your *** and have lung damage while not being hospitalized.

Silverphin likes this.
  8. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    An athlete struggling to breathe and having breathing issues would be in the article.

9. JJ_79

JJ_79 Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2012
    Germany
    And 80% of the people who had Covid 19 didn‘t have any symptoms at all.

resnor likes this.
  10. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    Bacterial co-infections are not exactly a rare occurrence with Covid, and if he's unable to work out for an extended amount of time(which is very clearly the case here, and the driver of why he's getting the redshirt), he's going to end up dropping or gaining significant weight depending on his natural build.

11. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    The article clearly mentions a mental hangup. It wasn't simply covid, or they wouldn't have brought up the weight gain, the strep, and the mental aspect.

Attributing it to covid may be correct, or or may not be correct. But there seems to be more to it than covid.

12. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Yes, and they are finding that they still have lung damage.

13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    literally said he had issues with his breathing.

14. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Breathing would be an issue for an out of shape player who gained 12 lbs. Nothing in that article indicates that covid was the actual problem. It's why they talk about the weight gain, the strep, and the mental problems.

We probably aren't going to agree.

15. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    It's certainly possible, but you're not coming from a place of credibility here when you're going through every possible contortion to determine that it wasn't actually a side effect of the pandemic virus with very well documented short and intermediate term complications for an athletic career.

I mean we're about 5 posts away from someone citing Xavier Thomas as clearly having a phlegmatic composition and the skull proportions of a loafer.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2020
    Dol-Fan Dupree and resnor like this.
  16. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'm just saying, that the article points all these things. Don't you think they'd love to just point to covid? I'm not saying covid didn't play a part, of course it did. But how much? I mean, a guy gaining significant weight and being out of shape is going to cause issues with getting back into the swing of things. Especially if he is having depressive symptoms or other mental struggles.

17. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    gaining 12 lbs for an athlete shouldn't keep them out of practice.

18. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Agreed. But The article indicates that it was the strep throat, weight gain, and mental issue causing him struggle in workouts.

19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The article also mentioned not being able to breathe well as for his struggle in workouts. Not being able to breathe well does not help your mental state, especially if you are an athlete.

20. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL

resnor likes this.
  21. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Sure. All I'm saying is, it appears that he had covid, didn't need hospitalization. Gained 12lbs. Went to camp, had strep, had mental struggle, and struggled to be successful. It seems to me, from reading it, that there was far more at work than his prior covid diagnosis.

You see it differently, that's fine.

22. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I think that many if these NFL athletes will contract the Rona (who's real name should be posted but the cancel culture objects) if they played or not. In their everyday lives NFL players have caught it. They are not very risk adverse in their actions IMO. They will be tested constantly and be diagnosed quicker if they are exposed then "out in the real world". And who's to say they didn't catch it outside of the NFL workplace. THere is a risk in everything we do. That's why the lightning strike and car comparisons come up. While some dismiss it as apples/oranges the representation is that there is inherent risk in everyday things that we do. We dismiss these as "acceptable" risks in our normal lives. So if you look at the risk of the Rona for a specific age group and do what the data tells you, it tells you that the risk profile is way lower than the everyday life risks that we dismiss on a daily basis. For some ZERO is the only number. Great opt out. That's your right. I personally know 2 people that are so paralyzed that they won't leave their houses and have had mental breakdowns over the fear of the Rona.

Turn off the news and stop obsessing about "the numbers" IMO.

Or live your life in fear and end up worse than the actual reality of what the virus is.

resnor and Den54 like this.
  23. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I mean, the bottom line to me is that one death or hospitalization would be too much to justify a frivolous and unnecessary thing like football when said event is entirely preventable, despite how entertaining it might be.

The comparisons to car crashes, swimming, ect are logically flawed because those things cant be spread from person to person unknowingly.

So if the NFL can guarantee full safety, go ahead. If not I wont blame any player who opts out.

24. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    And that answers my question.... How?

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  25. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    It shows you that you have much higher chances of dying by things that you do everyday, like eating, than a .00000002 or whatever chance from drinking there drink, but it doesn't stop you from doing them.

26. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    They are risks you take everyday. That is the comparison. It's about risk assessment. You drive a car you expose yourself to the risk of X% of injury or death. NFL players exposure to the virus carries X% of risk for injury or death. They decide on if that risk is worth it. I go to work everyday because I need to get paid. Most of these guys also need to get paid. You look at it as entertainment. Many doing the sport and supporting the sport look at it as a livelihood. Too many are too quick to take away someone's livelihood because " the bottom line to me is that one death or hospitalization would be too much". Who are you to decide for them??

resnor likes this.
  27. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    My statement was simply that I dont blame anyone who wishes to opt out.

I'm not sure how you got me taking peoples livelihoods away.

Lastly, Unfortunately, if you dont understand the inherent differences in the risks you listed, I dont think anything will change your mind. The differences are so basic and plain to see, and unlike an exaggerated figure that has ruined the world with his preachings, I cant cure the blind.

Dol-Fan Dupree likes this.
  28. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    That is what it is supposed to show? If it is it did a terrible job.

29. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I think there's really a lot of unnecessary posturing and emotional bargaining and deal-making over people not wanting to be called or thought of as an ******* because they're OK with people potentially dying for their entertainment(provided, of course that there's no additional personal risk).

It's unnecessary because a lot of the arguments here aren't really proving much of a fig leaf to hide behind- just say it. Like if that's actually what you believe, you'd presumably have done better research into the risks, etc. and so on.

30. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    That video, in conjunction with the question about drinking the drink that was asked. There video just shows likelihood of being killed by various things.

31. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    It is different. I don't walk outside and get cancer and die.

There is a HUGE difference between chance of dying of something while living your life, or chance of dying of something due to a specific action.

In this video the chances of someone dying of Russian Roulette would be very low, however, if I do Russian Roulette it would be 1 in 6.

That video didn't work in conjunction with the question.

32. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Well I think you're being intentionally obtuse on this. It gives, for instance, the likelihood of choking on your food, or dying in a car accident. Both of those are a greater probability than dying or being injured in the drink example. And those are two things you do everyday.

33. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    These are their livelihoods. They need to pay their bills. Most of these guys aren't rich. They got bills to pay just like all the other support personnel. How a group of individuals think it is up to them to determine the risk level people should be taking and advocate to strip them of their livelihoods, be it in sports or in business, is beyond selfish.

34. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    The feeling is mutual.

Saying, "Here, you have a 1 in 10 chance of dying if you drink this drink" the response, "Well I have a 1 in 6 chance of dying in cancer throughout my lifetime" is not a good response.

The chance of dying in a car crash is 1 in 103, that is because 1 in 103 people will die in a car crash. That does not mean that out of 103 times someone drives their car, someone dies.

Silverphin and Disgustipate like this.
  35. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    [​IMG]

It's the same false dilemma as when applied to football players. You can't purposefully engineer a scenario to compel people to risk their lives for money and then hold your hands up and say that scenario was a naturally occurring state of affairs that couldn't be helped if someone dies.

Silverphin likes this.
  36. Finatik

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Except they CAN opt out. No one is COMPELLING them to do something. Except the side that says we will NOT ALLOW you to make a living if you so chose to take the risk. Try again.

37. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    In my home, my wife/I have been ultra careful to protect the home and my 85 year old dad. But my teens are a different story and they disappear every chance they get. Daily we're running other teens off since they stopped by "because they're bored"...and they don't care about the virus for the exact quotes you shared in another part of this thread.

My 18 year old had COVID and she thought she was going to die from not being able to breathe...and then she was fine a week later. And don't get me wrong, we're thrilled that she's okay, but her attitude towards this could have taken another family member. My dad was released from our hospital a few hours ago; we honestly didn't think he'd come home at all but it turns out he didn't have COVID....yet he was on the COVID floor for three days until his tests came back negative. Will he have COVID in a week from now? Who knows.

The point is, you can't say "Well, you look well and so do I, so there's zero risk." That's how the virus keeps spreading and the NFL won't be able to use that philosophy....elite athletes or not.

38. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I understand what it means. The point is, there are assumed risks that we all act under all the time. Covid is new and abnormal, so it's scary. I think down the road or will be no scarier, for the average person, than the flu.

39. resnor

resnor Derp Sherpa

Nov 25, 2007
    New Hampshire
    Prayers for your family, Key.

KeyFin likes this.
  40. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    There's still ultimately a moral culpability for people beyond the individual even in a scenario where someone is fully informed and making a conscious choice of the risks. If you're paying for, facilitating, or even watching someone play russian roulette with fully informed consent and understanding it doesn't suddenly become an ethically clean transaction, and it's still something that bears consideration in the context of the NFL.

And again, putting it fully in the context of the players is more than a little bit disingenuous as well. If the guy making $15 dollars an hour to do stadium security to make ends meet ends up on a respirator, or Chan Gailey ends up getting murked because it was his last shot at a job he loved doing or whatever, it's not any better.

Silverphin and Dol-Fan Dupree like this.