1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ALLEDGED - Penn State sex scandal prompts 2 resignations

Discussion in 'College Sports' started by BigDogsHunt, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    What you are saying is the extreme. That police covered up the raping of children.

I don't see how he could have known. He certainly shouldn't have discussed anything with Sandusky.

And yes, they see it as evidence of a cover up. Nobody has argued there was no cover up. There are people being charged criminally with the cover up. The question is whether Paterno was part of that cover up, or whether he was kept in the dark.

2. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    haha come on now. I say he should see signs of it not being investigated, you turn it into him breaking up a criminal enterprise single handidly.

Sure, which is why I said if he looked the other way then he was part of the cover up. Now was he active in the cover up that's a different story. You are arguing there was no way he could have inferred himself that an actual investigation wasn't taking place. I am saying he had plenty of signs that the investigation of 2002 wasn't the same as 98. Why shouldn't he have discussed anything with sandusky? Even if you think that you don't think he would have realized in 2002 that his coaching assistant, the witness wasn't interviewed? If so what? he basically handed it off, never questioned what was going on again. In which case he was indifferent to the case.

3. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    Because it was supposedly an open investigation. You don't go around asking parties involved whether they were questioned, and what they were asked. In fact, I'm no expert, but I would assume the worst thing you can do in a child abuse case is go directly to the accused party. All of this is the responsibility of law enforcement.

4. Boik14

Boik14 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    The reason Sandusky was no longer the heir apparent to Paterno was because of Sandusky's own doing. Sandusky, the story goes, was given a timeline originally by JoePa of when Joe Pa might ready to hand over the reigns. Joe Pa decided he didnt want to give up the reigns when that time came and Sandusky got tired of waiting. This was the story long before these allegations came about.

Now if Sandusky was good enough for PSU, an elite college program that garners national attention and has a national following, why wasnt he good enough for another major college program? Thats the question Im curious about. You would think he would have had to have gotten a job offer somewhere considering how widely respected Paterno was especially around that time period when PSU was a steady national title contender, largely in part because of the defense Sandusky built.

5. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Ok fair enough.

On another note sandusky was a sick sack of ****.
    http://articles.philly.com/2011-11-10/news/30382450_1_grand-jury-molested-jerry-sandusky

SICK, Stitches and Stringer Bell like this.
  6. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Looks like Penn State could be punished by the NCAA for breaking NCAA bylaw 2.4 requiring the institution maintain principles of ethical behavior.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's also motivation for him to act. You don't need the conspiracy part.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    I need to ask, where in the Grand Jury report does it state that Schultz and Curley told Paterno they informed Social Services and campus police about Victim 2?

9. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The reports back then were that PSU was not providing much of an endorsement of him. That's all part of the same reason he wasn't the heir apparent. They obviously knew about the allegations. Which is why Paterno's failure to act when he continued to see Sandusky on campus with adolescent boys resulted in his firing.

10. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    The only thing I've seen/read about someone being notified, is that they notified the grad student that they informed social services and campus police.

11. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    In the Grand Jury Report?

12. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Yeah sorry I'm wrong too, this is the passage I was thinking about, but looks like the grad assistant was just never interviewed:

13. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    gafinfan likes this.
  14. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I think there is much more to this than meets the eye. BTW the FB program, I read, brings in more than 70 mil not 50 as is stated here!

More fuel to this fire!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ex-abuse-case-Penn-States-Jerry-Sandusky.html

This is, I think, where its reported that Sandusky told the woman "I did it and wish I were dead."

The more that comes out in this case the more I believe this is a coverup involving people in very high places, Joe Paterno being only one of many.

Also to think that murder could not be apart of this mess when sums of 50-70 mil a year are being talked about is just being naive imvho. This is even more true IF the facts of pimping to rich doners are real and proven!

15. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    I'm not sure why you would stop at the football program. The entire institution should be gutted.

17. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    You don't shut down the football program because of this. None of the players there (or those committed) did anything wrong. I'm sure there are people on the staff who weren't even around back in 2002 who played no part in any of this.

If you want to replace everyone who was around back then that is one thing (or even replacing all the coaches), but you don't shut the football program down. I don't see how that's possibly the "right" thing to do.

18. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I would think its an out of sight, out of mind thing. Personally, while I understand why you suggest it, I just don't know if I agree with it. BUT, the NCAA may still bring the death penalty hammer if they find ethical violations, so it may be easier to just kill the program yourself

19. CanePhin

CanePhin Banned

Nov 12, 2011
    Everything I've read about this case is beyond messed up. How much Paterno knew or didn't know is still debateable. I have read differeing accounts one saying that Paterno told the AD and the VP (Schultz) and another saying that he only told the AD. If the former is true and since Schultz was the head of the Penn St Police Department this means that Paterno did go to the police. Still though, did he do enough? Not in my book.

The guy (McQualey?) who walked in on Sandusky should go to prison. You can't happen upon a child being raped and then just walk away and report that you "saw a kid being touched". To me that's the same as hiding an escaped convict or known murderer in your house.

Any person who molests a child should get the death penalty.

20. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    I have never been more proud to be a Husker fan than today. Regardless of which schools idea that was, it was class IMHO

Stitches likes this.
  21. CanePhin

CanePhin Banned

Nov 12, 2011
    What did they do?

22. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    Shook hands at mid field as a team and our very own Ron Brown led both teams in prayer. No better man for that job. ESPN even showed it instead of usual Pregame bull

EDIT: Ron Brown reached out through FCA and set this all up

unluckyluciano and CanePhin like this.
  23. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    The problem is that, at the least, the AD and VP both criminally covered this up. Whomever is in a position of power at the school could have been hired by those that are being criminally charged. Whomever is above those two at the University were employing criminals and they were not aware.

Im sure it would be unfair to many, but it's necessary IMO to ensure nobody involved is still at the school.

24. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Yeah the football players shouldn't have to pay for this nor should the majority of the staff and the kids that go to school there. I won't bring up my feelings on the football staff however :tongue2:

25. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    eesh lol

SICK likes this.
  26. BlameItOnTheHenne

BlameItOnTheHenne Taking a poop

Aug 15, 2010
    Davie
    The "Who do you think you are?" comment was hilarious.

Who is he? He's a father. And he doesn't want anyone associated with child molesting to have contact with Penn St, his alma mater.

fcking clueless fan base.

27. GridIronKing34

GridIronKing34 Silently Judging You

Nov 22, 2007
    Denver, CO
    Stitches likes this.
  28. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    You want to know something truly ****ed up.................I know the GA involved; Mike McQueary. I mean I know this guy, and Sandusky, amongst others. It is ****ing insane to think I know these people, and that they are involved in this depravity.

SICK and unluckyluciano like this.
  29. Anonymous

Jul 5, 2009
    Con, I know you played for Penn State. What are your thoughts on Paterno in this situation.

30. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Too soon?

31. Conuficus

Conuficus Premium Member Luxury Box

Dec 8, 2007
    Well away from here
    I've lost respect for the man, absolutely. I know how that program was run, and Paterno was god there. He asked his boss; the AD to go an get his lunch from his car before. I believe Paterno knew more than he is publicly stating, how much I don't know, but given how organized that program is, he knew something. He had to.

And, truly, he did nothing to stop it.

Personally, I don't know how you move forward without completely blowing up that program.........I really don't. Who can you trust there? Who else knew? Who didn't? What we will see is likely going to be unprecedented.

I don''t care what happens, I'm just sick to my stomach and embarrassed.

gunn34, SICK, Fin D and 3 others like this.
  32. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I agree I just don't see how people can assume Paterno and his coaches didn't know or discuss these allegations literally a decade before this, and how to move forward? I don't know either. I know there are thousands of decent people that played there, went to school there, live Penn State Football that had nothing to do with it, but I think a cleaning of house is in order. The NCAA should get involved if Penn State doesn't do so. If the program needs to take a few steps back to clean the stink of this I would think its worth it. I honestly don't know what to say about Paterno, I don't think he's a horrible human being but damn why didn't he do something? Its mind boggling to someone sitting on the outside how this could happen. Kids were molested on Penn State grounds and people did nothing? Its heart wrenching to think about.

unluckyluciano and Stitches like this.
  33. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    I think it's obvious they knew. If they went to the police though, Penn State football would of been dead. Everyone would of transferred and recruiting would be ****ed. They put the success of the football program over morals. And it's pathetic and an embarassment.

SICK likes this.
  34. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    Thats the thing though, if they had come forward and arrested the guy responsible I don't think the program takes a hard hit. Sure the first year or two some high profile recruits might have went somewhere else but you would think Paterno's rep and the history of the program would have overcome that in a few years. I think people would at least have respected them for protecting kids and getting rid of a sex predator. I don't see any reason why I would even consider Penn State if I had options as a football player to play at other high profile schools at this point.

Fin D, Anonymous and Stitches like this.
  35. finyank13

finyank13 Reality Check

Jan 6, 2010
  36. CanePhin

CanePhin Banned

Nov 12, 2011
    All these child molesters need to be killed.

1969 – Jerry Sandusky starts his coaching career at Penn State University as a defensive line coach.
    1977 – Jerry Sandusky founds The Second Mile. It begins as a group foster home dedicated to helping troubled boys and grows into a charity dedicated to helping children with absent or dysfunctional families.
    January 1983 – Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1982 season.
    January 1987 – Associated Press voters select Penn State as college football's national champion for the 1986 season.
    1994 – Boy known as Victim 7 in the report meets Sandusky through The Second Mile program at about the age of 10.
    1994-95 – Boy known as Victim 6 meets Sandusky at a Second Mile picnic at Spring Creek Park when he is 7 or 8 years old.
    1995-96 – Boy known as Victim 5, meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is 7 or 8, in second or third grade.
    1996-97 – Boy known as Victim 4, at the age of 12 or 13, meets Sandusky while he is in his second year participating in The Second Mile program.
    1996-98 – Victim 5 is taken to the locker rooms and showers at Penn State by Sandusky when he is 8 to 10 years old.
    Jan. 1, 1998 – Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1998 Outback Bowl.
    1998 – Victim 6 is taken into the locker rooms and showers when he is 11 years old. When Victim 6 is dropped off at home, his hair is wet from showering with Sandusky. His mother reports the incident to the university police, who investigate.
    Detective Ronald Schreffler testifies that he and State College Police Department Detective Ralph Ralston, with the consent of the mother of Victim 6, eavesdrop on two conversations the mother of Victim 6 has with Sandusky. Sandusky says he has showered with other boys and Victim 6's mother tries to make Sandusky promise never to shower with a boy again but he will not. At the end of the second conversation, after Sandusky is told he cannot see Victim 6 anymore, Schreffler testifies Sandusky says, "I understand. I was wrong. I wish I could get forgiveness. I know I won't get it from you. I wish I were dead."
    Jerry Lauro, an investigator with the Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare, testifies he and Schreffler interviewed Sandusky, and that Sandusky admits showering naked with Victim 6, admits to hugging Victim 6 while in the shower and admits that it was wrong.
    The case is closed after then-Centre County District Attorney Ray Gricar decides there will be no criminal charge.
    June 1999 – Sandusky retires from Penn State but still holds emeritus status.
    Dec. 28, 1999 – Victim 4 is listed, along with Sandusky's wife, as a member of Sandusky's family party for the 1999 Alamo Bowl.
    Summer 2000 – Boy known as Victim 3 meets Sandusky through The Second Mile when he is between seventh and eighth grade.
    Fall 2000 – A janitor named James Calhoun observes Sandusky in the showers of the Lasch Football Building with a young boy, known as Victim 8, pinned up against the wall, performing oral sex on the boy. He tells other janitorial staff immediately. Fellow Office of Physical Plant employee Ronald Petrosky cleans the showers at Lasch and sees Sandusky and the boy, who he describes as being between the ages of 11 and 13.
    Calhoun tells other physical plant employees what he saw, including Jay Witherite, his immediate supervisor. Witherite tells him to whom he should report the incident. Calhoun was a temporary employee and never makes a report. Victim 8's identity is unknown.
    March 1, 2002 – A Penn State graduate assistant enters the locker room at the Lasch Football Building. In the showers, he sees a naked boy, known as Victim 2, whose age he estimates to be 10 years old, being subjected to anal intercourse by a naked Sandusky. The graduate assistant tells his father immediately.
    March 2, 2002 – In the morning, the graduate assistant calls Coach Joe Paterno and goes to Paterno's home, where he reports what he has seen.
    March 3, 2002 – Paterno calls Tim Curley, Penn State Athletic Director to his home the next day and reports a version of what the grad assistant had said.
    March 2002 – Later in the month the graduate assistant is called to a meeting with Curley and Senior Vice President for Finance and Business Gary Schultz. The grad assistant reports what he has seen and Curley and Schultz say they will look into it.
    March 27, 2002 (approximate) – The graduate assistant hears from Curley. He is told that Sandusky's locker room keys are taken away and that the incident has been reported to The Second Mile. The graduate assistant is never questioned by university police and no other entity conducts an investigation until the graduate assistant testifies in Grand Jury in December 2010.
    2005-2006 – Boy known as Victim 1 says that meets Sandusky through The Second Mile at age 11 or 12.
    Spring 2007 – During the 2007 track season, Sandusky begins spending time with Victim 1 weekly, having him stay overnight at his residence in College Township, Pa.
    Spring 2008 – Termination of contact with Victim 1 occurs when he is a freshman in a Clinton County high school. After the boy's mother calls the school to report sexual assault, Sandusky is barred from the school district attended by Victim 1 from that day forward and the matter is reported to authorities as mandated by law.
    Early 2009 – An investigation by the Pennsylvania attorney general begins when a Clinton County, Pa. teen boy tells authorities that Sandusky has inappropriately touched him several times over a four-year period.
    September 2010 – Sandusky retires from day-to-day involvement with The Second Mile, saying he wants to spend more time with family and handle personal matters.
    Nov. 5, 2011 – Sandusky is arrested and released on $100,000 bail after being arraigned on 40 criminal counts.
    Nov. 7, 2011 – Pennsylvania Attorney General Linda Kelly says Paterno is not a target of the investigation into how the school handled the accusations. But she refuses to say the same for university President Graham Spanier. Curley and Schultz, who have stepped down from their positions, surrender on charges that they failed to alert police to complaints against Sandusky.
    Nov. 8, 2011 – Possible ninth victim of Sandusky contacts state police as calls for ouster of Paterno and Spanier grow in state and beyond. Penn State abruptly cancels Paterno's regular weekly press conference.
    Nov. 9, 2011 – Paterno and Spanier, one of the nation's longest-serving college presidents, are ousted, effective immediately. Earlier in the day, Paterno announced he'd retire at the end of the season. In the end, he didn't have that choice.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/09/penn-state-scandal-timeline-jerry-sandusky_n_1084204.html

37. Vinny Fins

Vinny Fins Feisty Brooklyn dolfan ️‍

Oct 26, 2009
    Bklyn
    I hope you never have children.

Jackass.

38. Laces Out

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    ESPNs Tom Rinaldi reporting that McQueary stopped the alleged sexual assault he witnessed. Rinaldi is citing anonymous sources. Sorry I don't have an article link from my phone

39. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Cry some more lol.