1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alex Smith: From Successor To Being Replaced

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by alen1, Aug 30, 2008.

1. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I normally don't do Other NFL write-ups especially on the 49ers but after watching so many pre-season games, I wanted to do something. I did a write-up and didn't plan on posting it for some reason. Now, after thinking about it, I decided to post it lol.

Alex Smith: From Successor To Being Replaced

Many have tried to follow in the footsteps of the great Joe Montana and Steve Young, from Jeff Garcia to Cody Pickett but little have had success. Due to the lack of success in finding the next great one, the 49ers made Quarterback Alex Smith out of Utah their number one choice overall in the 2005 NFL draft.

As a rookie, Alex Smith was thrown into the fire on a bad team. Smith struggled with 11 fumbles, a TD/INT ratio of 1:11, a 40.8 QB rating and a lack of comfort in the pocket. The team finished a long and disappointing season with four wins and twelve losses. After the season, the 49ers made many changes including replacing their departed offensive coordinator Mike McCarthy with Norv Turner. Turner was coming off a firing from the Oakland Raiders head coaching job. Turner was known as an offensive master mind and was asked to help Alex Smith develop.

Smith looked poised to make strides in his rookie year with his new offensive coordinator and he did do just that. Smith started 15 games for the 49ers and improved his touchdown total from last year by 15 but ended up throwing 5 more interceptions. The second year pro also had a 74.8 QB rating and a completion percentage of 58%.

The young Quarterback started off his third year with another new offensive coordinator, his third one in three years. Smith would have trouble adjusting to the new playbook and wouldn’t get much action. He started seven games in 2007, posting a 57.2 QB rating with a touchdown/interception ratio of 2:4. Smith’s completion percentage also regressed, nearly ten percent. Smith battled shoulder injuries but tried to play through it, hoping to leave a good impression on his teammates. After being limited by his injury, he was replaced by the end of the season with journey man Shaun Hill. It would be the start of a heated QB competition and the start of Smith’s downfall in the Bay Area.

2008 was a brand new year and a brand new offensive coordinator in Alex Smith’s life, making it four in four years. Smith now was learning from the pass first genius Mike Martz and it got off to a rough start. Smith was having trouble grasping the never-ending playbook and accuracy troubles haunted him. The team brought in J.T. O’Sullivan to compete with Smith. O’Sullivan was very familiar with Martz system as he had gone everywhere Martz went and it showed. O’Sullivan made a good first impression and was competing for the starting job in a matter of days. Then came the pre-season and O’Sullivan heated up while Smith regressed by day. Smith was lacking chemistry with the new receiving core and was not able to make specific throws that were asked by the staff. In the third pre-season game, Smith faced the Bears and his struggles continued. He had trouble hitting receivers, constantly throwing behind them or out of their reach. He also showed a lack of pocket presence and started to force throws. On the other side of the competition, O’Sullivan was making throws all over the place, leading the team to a touchdown drive. He was doing so well, they pulled him early to avoid a possible injury. After the game, O’Sullivan was named starter and Smith’s confidence took another hit. Smith’s time was coming to an end after only a short career in SF. Later in the week, a San Francisco 49er insider talked with the media and said the team could be letting Smith walk after the upcoming season. Many wonder what Smith's future holds if or when he is let go by his first NFL team.

2. FinsPensFan

FinsPensFan Professional Slacker

Dec 21, 2007
    Wheeling, WV
    I still think that Norv Turner is one of the most over rated coaches in this league. He's still riding the wave from the Cowboy's SB teams.

Alex Smith can be added to the never ending 1st round bust list.

3. Vendigo

Vendigo German Gigolo Club Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Nice write-up, alen. I followed Smith's career quite closely because I liked the kid coming out of college and it's been painful to witness how the 49ers did everything in their power to make him fail. He's going to become another bust in the likes of Joey Harrington or David Carr because another FO didn't have the patience to develop their young signal caller sensibly. It's not just the 3 offensive coordinators - the kid was the epitome of raw talent and thus got drafted way higher than he should have. When Smith came out as a junior, it was plain obvious to anyone who watched him play that he'd need at least three years to develop and that rushing him in too early (something that is bound to happen if you draft a QB at #1) would be a recipe for desaster. The 49ers did just that and Smith got killed behind a poor offensive line (when will teams ever learn that you never put a young QB behind a bad line?) trying to adjust from the Utah spread offense (and when will teams ever learn that you need to give a kid more time to adjust when he only played spread in college?).

I really feel bad for Smith because the kid never had a chance. They gonna label him a bust and say that he doesn't didn't have "it" and again won't realize that they were asking a cat to bark and are now blaming the cat for being unable to do so.

Alex44 and alen1 like this.
  4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Turner is a horrible coach, and the sole reason nobody should pick the Chargers to win the SB despite being the most talented team in the league.

But whatever, I was never high on Smith and am not surprised to see this happen. I never thought he had "it" and while much of what Vendigo says is accurate and true, its just part of the puzzle.

Anyway, another crappy season and I see Mike Nolan and Smith as being unemployed come January.

5. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida

Absolutely amazing post. Can't really add anything more to this.

6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    If Smith was to be cut at the end of the season, possible suitors imo would be the Panthers, Chiefs, Bears, Lions, and Buccaneers.

Panthers - I think them because Delhomme is getting up there in age and is coming off of surgery. If he doesn't come back to his normal self, they may look to Smith. They have Matt Moore and they really like him. I still think that they could bring in Smith to battle out with Moore for the backup or top job, that is pending on a possible letting go of Delhomme.

Chiefs - Simply because if Croyle doesn't pan out, they could look elsewhere. I expect them to have a high pick next year and draft a Quarterback (Stafford?). They could pass up on the QB, its unlikely but still a possibility.

Bears - Same thing every year. They need a QB.

Lions - I know they have Stanton and Orlovsky. They like Stanton but I wonder if he will continue to get injured. First the tear of the ACL and now he's injured again. They still don't know how Stanton will pan out. Smith could be a possibility in Detroit imo. I don't think Orlovsky is a starter in this league.

Bucs - They keep on adding QB's and Garcia isn't getting any younger.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I really think teams should take more time developing QBs. I'm talking at least 3 years. That's what I think has saved Aaron Rogers. It's particularly important for QBs coming from primarily shotgun offenses.