1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alex Mack scouting report

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by jim1, Dec 29, 2008.

1. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    http://www.draftcountdown.com/scoutingreports/c/Alex-Mack.php

Sorry, can't cut and paste.

I see a little bit of Jake Long in this guy- strong, physical, hard working, durable, smart, dominating run blocker. One thing troubles me, though, even more so after watching the UM game-he's not a great athlete, specifically he seems off balance quite a bit and his feet are average. Still though, I think that he's just what we need for the OL to move on to the next level. Iif we get him and Smiley/Donald Thomas back next year- watch out.

2. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't like his stiffness in pass coverage. Jochen had the perfect anaolgy; he's like a Jack in the Box at times, he gets off the snap and is high and he's narrow. When you watch a Max Unger or an Antoine Caldwell, especially Caldwell, they play with a tremendously wide base that allows them to maintain balance. I don't see that in Mack consistently in pass pro. I also don't think he moves his feet quickly enough or in the right way. On that 3rd play from scrimmage against UM that I mentioned a couple of days ago, he had his feet stuck way under him and was paddling to try and re-adjust. That comes from not having a decent base.

3. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Just finished up watching this game this morning. I've said what needs to be said about Mack, but in watching the rest of the Bowl, some other things stood out; he continued to play inconsistently in pass pro, sometimes high, sometimes less so. What he DOES do a tremendous job of is walling defenders off; he gets great position and uses excellent technique to get defenders turned at the point. On Best's long 3rd quarter run right through the A gap, he turns the DT beautifully and creates a massive hole that I could have run through for a first down. Then on the very next play, he again gets really high in his stance. I wonder why he continues to do that occasionally?

He's a strong cut blocker, but at times he struggles to pick up blitzers. In the 3rd quarter, he totally missed Spence coming through the A gap at Longshore. He was also very lucky on that 4th and 1 run with 3.47 to go in the 3rd; he was beaten off the ball, got very high and choppy with his feet and #93 just flat out beat him and had Best bang to rights for a loss and missed the tackle. But that was bad play from Mack.

He blocked well on the move, doing a fine job of repositioning his hands, taking them from over the DT's hands back under and realigning on the breast plate. Thing is, his hands shouldn't have been that high anyway. There was a run with 5.58 to go in the 4th that demonstrated that perfectly.

I paid a lot of attention to Worrell Williams in the middle. But he was hugely disapponting. Being DJ Williams' brother, it's clear DJ got much of the talent. He missed so many open field tackles I actually lost count. He struggles against cut back runners, often losing his feet from under him. He can't get off blocks with any consistency and really struggles going forwards, picking the wrong hole or simply unable to fight through blocks to even cause any interference. Going sideways he's much better and made two back to back strong plays midway through the 3rd, staying on his feet when cut and making a tackle, then doing the same on the next play when well blocked. He's a 3 down defender at the next level because he plays zone very well and is fluid in his movement with good depth on his drops but his lack of instincts and inality to wrap is a real issue.

Jahvid Best is going to be a very high draft pick when he decides to come out and Syd'Quan Thompson, a guy I flagged up with Sean Smith and AJ Jefferson a while back in the Club, was very strong again. Plays the run like Antoine Winfield, attacking the ball carrier and the LOS he's a true form tackler. Miami never threw at him once other than in the red zone and he defended both plays perfectly, despite his height. He's hellish quick and plays with a very risky side saddle coverage technique which may precipitate a move to zone at the next level although he does play man very well. He has strong hands, is forceful in knocking wideouts off their routes and plays the ball in the air very well. Is a likely top 65 pick if he declares.

4. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    Your points are well taken. Mack's pass pro looks anywhere from ok to "Oh God". It's like watching a guy awkwardly juggle and expecting the balls to fall down at any moment. That being said, you're right about him walling off his man- he manages to get the job done, albeit a far cry from the sheer beauty of Antoine Caldwell. But do you dump a beautiful girl for having bad breath? I don't think so. And Mack's honey pot is run blocking like a mofo and you have to factor in his intangibles. I still really like the guy, just without the man crush this time. You mentioned before the work that the coaching staff did to improve J Long- if we took Mack hopefully they could tweak his game as well.

5. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Thing is, is Mack better than Samson Satele and I have to say absolutely not.

6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Samson appears to have turned the corner this season though, I had thought he had a foot on a banana peel, but since Johnson got some snaps, Satele has really stepped up.

Don't you think? Or do you still envision Ireland going after Oline help early?

7. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008

I absolutely disagree with that. Mack is a power house, Satele is a relative lightweight and finesse guy. Second level activity is a nice bonus, but not where these guys make their bones. And if not Mack, then let's get Caldwell- but he's not a road grader type himself, and that's a concern. BTW, we obvioulsy have to see how Al Johnson works out, and I haven't really seen the guy play. Nor have I the guy from Oregon (Max Unger?), and I'm looking forward to it. What a great bonus if the guy can play C/G/T... look at us this year, two Guards down. Nice to be able to plug the gap.

8. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I think he's been decent for much of the year and like you say, really played well down the stretch. The low point was the loss to the Patriots, but Sunday against Kris Jenkins he was very good.

9. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't think Satele is either of those things or that Mack is a powerhouse. Satele might not be as strong a run blocker, but he's a much better pass protector and with Chad Pennington at QB for at least one more year, you don't want a rookie who's going to be a liability in pass pro getting your vulnerable 30+ year old QB hurt. I don't see why all of a sudden there is this instant need to replace a pretty decent center. Why do we desperately need Mack or Caldwell or Luigs or Wood? I can see why we would draft Max Unger because of his versatility, but I don't see why Satele is all of a sudden on the outs.

10. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    This was the 1st time i had seen Alex Mack play a full game, and after watching the game i think he'll be a good pro but he was really nothing like what i have read about him.

The very 1st few plays of the game he was getting pushed around by a very young Miami line.He had a good game after that, but still.

11. funkdat

funkdat New Member

Dec 12, 2007
    The post funk era
    This was the 1st time i had seen Alex Mack play a full game, and after watching the game i think he'll be a good pro but he was really nothing like what i have read about him.

The very 1st few plays of the game he was getting pushed around by a very young Miami line.He had a good game after that, but still.