1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alcohol aficionados; Help, opinions and discussion requested.

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Sethdaddy8, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I love Scotch, Scotchy Scotch Scotch....just kidding...well not really, its not the point...anyway.

So I treated myself to a fancy bottle of 15 yr old Single Malt Scotch. Glenmorangie. 80 bucks. It tastes like freakin Bourbon! Like JD or even Soco, with that Bourbon after taste I do not like. I like Dalwhinnie, but I am looking to broaden my horizons...Scotch wise. I know Bourbon, Scotch, Whiskey...it all has to do with location and ingredients as to what category the booze falls under. Like Champagne can only be from France, otherwise its sparkling wine. Scotch must be from Scotland, but I also assumed a relative taste among most/all scotches. Wrong! So my question is...how do I prevent myself from buying Scotch that tastes like Bourbon or Whiskey even. For a point of reference...I expect Scotch to taste along the lines of The Glenlivit. Is there an ingredient, or "Oaky taste" that seperates flavors and styles. Any help or discussion would be appreciated.

2. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    :lol: I like a good Scotch from time to time. But for some reason, I love Irish Cream. Maybe it's the coffee. As for the "Oaky taste", it probably has something to do with it being matured in oak casks. That amount of time usually has some Oak cells or whatnot seeping in.

3. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    thank you sir.:thumbup:

4. FiN.in.RI

FiN.in.RI Paul pierced through..

Dec 3, 2007
    the Heart
    I love scotch too my fav is Johnnie Walker Red fro everyday and Glenlevit for spec. occasions.. the differenct b/w bourbon and scotch is how its stored I believe that and the fact that Bourbon is made in America and scotch is made in scotland.. Every new batch or bourbon is made in new barrells where scotch is uses the same barrells over and over agin that is essentially the difference. Bourbons got more corn too and is filtered differently.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. 54Fins

54Fins "In Gase we trust"

Nov 29, 2007
    over there
    Just read about their "Wood Flavored" Whiskey blends.Here's a link. http://www.uisge.com/ud/glenmorangie.html

6. big0mar

big0mar New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    i love glenmorangie

johnny walker blue is the best though

7. PeaTearGriffin

PeaTearGriffin Season Ticket Holder

Dec 8, 2007
    Agreed. i have a bottle of both.

8. Lab3003

Lab3003 Golden era

Nov 23, 2007
    Bal Harbour, FL
    A lot of the flavors in scotch are determine by whether or not the brand you are enjoying is a blend or single malt. Also consider whether the scotch is the made from wheat (i.e. malt) or barley (aka pure malt, don't know why they call it pure though). Johnnie Walker Green Label is a fantastic pure malt, but to be honest it's the only one I know of.

Single malts are very consistent and express fewer notes than blended malts, which are a combination of various single malts. For example, Johnnie Walker black label is a mix of 40 different single malts including Talisker. It's a really, really good scotch and a great buy; won't bust your wallet. My favorite scotch, I've tried just about all of the one's you can, is a single malt, Macallan 15 yr Fine Oak. If you can splurge, go for the 18 yr because it's fantastic.

Another classification of scotches is based on their region of origin in Scotland. For example, the Glenlivet you referenced is made in Speyside. Glenmorange is a Highland Malt. Generally speaking the Highland malts are more distinguished and thought of as scotches of the rick folk. Most hereditarily wealth Scots are from the Highlands. Irsay, Coala Ira, Lowlands are a few others. My preferred scotch, Macallan, is from Speyside even though they call themselves a Highland malt.

Some other great scotches include Glenmorangie Sherry Wood Finish (15 yr I believe), Johnnie Walker Black and Gold, Balvenie 15 yr is ok, Gragganmore is good. I'd stay away from anything Dewars or Chivas Regal from what you wrote.

9. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    good stuff guys

10. Sethdaddy8

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    I think this answered my question!

"Glenmorangie uses only American ex-Bourbon oak for maturation of its whisky, all barrels being discarded after the third refill stage."

http://www.uisge.com/ud/glenmorangie.html

this must explain why it tastes like a bourbon, as opposed to scotch to me. i have a primitive pallet and cant pick up 20-30 different flavors, but to me, it clearly tastes like a bourbon, which i do not like.

11. finswin56

finswin56 Get a mop

Dec 3, 2007
    St. Augustine
    Man, a scotch with a hint of bourbon flavor? Sounds like heaven to me :D