1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Albert Wilson's tough road to the NFL

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Finatik, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    Both of Wilson’s parents went to prison when he was very young, sending him into the foster care system. He attended five different high schools in eight grade alone.

“I was taught to play the cards that are dealt to you,” Wilson told the Herald. “That’s what my dad [Albert Wilson Sr.] taught me. I gathered up all I had and made the best of it since I was 9, 10 years old. And that prepared me for today.

“Going to foster care, not having nowhere to sleep, not having the next meal,” Wilson continued. “Having adults turn their back on you and stuff like that. ... I just stayed with it. And the one thing that stays consistent is football. That’s why I work so hard at it, I continue to build on it. Because I feel like I owe the game so much because it gave me so much.”

Wilson, to be clear, has no time or desire for your sympathy. He beat the odds, earning a three-year, $24 million contract to play for his hometown team, and does not feel at all sorry for himself.

Why? He’s living the dream.

2. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I love those stories- foster care programs are extremely tough and there's a lot of really bad ones out there. His chances of success were almost zero.

3. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Good to see him beat the odds.