1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After trial by fire, Jake Long ready as potential top pick

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, Apr 18, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    When they sucked all that smoke residue out of his lungs," former Michigan coach Lloyd Carr said of a 2004 fire at Jake Long's home, "I realized if the EMTs hadn't insisted on taking him to the hospital, Jake might have died."

Michigan left tackle Jake Long survived a 2004 trial by fire no NFL pass rush can rival.

The Miami Dolphins could very well select the two-time Big Ten offensive lineman of the year as their first overall pick in the April 26-27 draft, but Long has another reason to feel blessed to be invited to New York City's Radio City Music Hall.

During the biggest day of his life, Long can reflect on what was almost the last.

Want to know how he handles pressure?

The way Long fought through the early morning fire that gutted the house leased by 10 Michigan players provides a strong hint. To look at the 6-7, 313-pound drive-blocker now, there is no sign of the surreal ordeal four years ago that left Long in intensive care fighting for his life.

Long jumped out a second-floor window only to face greater peril.

Good read
    link to rest of story
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-04-17-usat-offensive-line_N.htm

brandon27 likes this.
  2. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas

thats a hell of a story, and one tough guy, I like him more and more....

3. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Nice read.

I never knew that had happened. Thats something I try not to think about at all is what I would do if my place caught fire during the night... creepy to think about thats for sure.

4. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Good article, reminds us we should all live like we had 30 days to live. Live like you were dying, and you'll love sweeter, laugh louder, give forgiveness that is eating you up inside, and love those who matter much deeper than you do now. My church is doing a 4 week thing on "Live like you were dying" which ends this weekend, brought a lot of awareness to my eyes, and I just felt compelled to offer this to my brothers & sisters here, sorry to hijack the thread.

Lets draft this kid and build a serious OL that sets the tone of physical play for the entire team; "we're gonna beat you physically"!

phineas64 likes this.