1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After further review, guess who won the game for us?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by djphinfan, Sep 21, 2010.

Tags:
  1. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Bobby Carpenter....

Thats right, before the 4th down goal line stop, there was a solo 3rd down goal line stop...and if it wasn't for a remarkable play by this former first round player, we would not be having so much fun this week..

AP got the handoff on a stretch play, he saw a lane open and cut back into the middle of the grain and went after it, while that was going on, the viking guard met Carp into the hole fully square and with momentum, what took place after that was as p-hysical of play as you will see. He stood the 300 pounder strait up, shedded him with his hands with authority and threw him to the side, and completely took on AP at the 1....mother grabber did not budge, stuck him clean and stopped his momentum, by himself..

A question I would like to ask is, how did some of us have this dude rated when he came out?, and can having a regime that demands you to respect a code, and great leadership in place {unlike where he came from} bring the best out of these 1st round talent dissapointments.

Bottom line, if this regime identified this particular player in the top 20 of the first round, can we expect him to play up to that potential, or are the weaknesses to much to overcome...I know his biggest weakness was his lack of physical play, however that game winning play, was not only impressive athletically, it was very physical..

We drafted him, we scouted him, and we left him at 23 years old to play for a bunch of chumps.. Is there a chance we can get this kid to play to his talent's?..we seem to have a way of developing linebacker's.

2. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Interesting, never thought about that.

3. boourns

boourns Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Agreed completely.

While watching I was so impressed with the strength seen that I assumed it had to be Ryan Baker as I only saw the '0' at first.

Quite surprised why I saw it was Carpenter. Hopefully he keeps it up cause he has been better than expected so far, in my opinion.

djphinfan likes this.
  4. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    i just looked at the play, you are absolutely right, he stood him up at the 1 yard line, but he got some help right after the collision, but still a great play

djphinfan likes this.
  5. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Good point Deej. :wink2:

We know that our love for the game can affect performance, so IMO that can be directly related to one's coaches, fellow players, environment, or the role that's asked of him. Maybe Carpenter's heart just wasn't in it in Dallas.

I think we sometimes forget that at the NFL level, these are the most elite group of players in the country who ALL possess some serious talent just to make it here......... so in that sense, I could see where playing with 100% heart and fire could make a huge difference over playing with 80%. Maybe a player interprets his position on "team A" as a "job", while on team B he sees it as pure "passion" for the game. Look what's going on with Haynesworth. Just a thought.

Steve-Mo and djphinfan like this.
  6. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember that play, i was more impressed he was in the game than anything else.

7. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Completely agree, just went back to look at it. But you know what I find .... the REAL hero of that goal-line-stand series? ..... Adrian Peterson!!

What, am I mad? On first and goal from the 10, remember, he ran left, made a cut and fell down .... then got up and still ran about 6-7 yards, stopped only by the late arriving Y. Bell who came over from the other side of the field. Vontae was also there.

If you can, watch and pause just as AP falls down. There's a huge hole there, and let me tell you - if he doesn't fall down, he flies right through it, just like he did after he got up .... except, Bell wouldn't have been there at that point, and Vontae wouldn't have been in the position he was. Very likely, AP scores, or gets down to to like the foot line for second down :sad:

Seriously, take a look. While we were awesome on 2nd, 3rd and 4th downs in that series, we may have caught a break w/ 1st down!! But that's the way it goes, we'll take it!

gafinfan likes this.
  8. firedan

firedan Well-Known Member

Oct 31, 2008
    palm beach county fl
    Mabey he fits into this system more than the at Dallas?Sometimes a change of scenery can be agood thing.

9. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Wow, each time I watch that, it looks like he's going to roll right over Carpenter ..... but he doesn't. Awesome play!

djphinfan likes this.
  10. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    did you like him coming out?...I cant for the life of me understand how someone can find their heart in the game, but your reasoning does make some sense.

11. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    and how about how he engages the olineman and shedds him to make the stick...picture perfect no?

12. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Dallas's Ted Ginn Linebacker is making his bones in Miami. Sweet!

13. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    I am going to have to check the play out. Don't know the reason for the sudden change in play from Carpenter, but I do agree that he came from a SOFT team over their in Dallas, and their head coach is leading the marshmallow charge out there, being that he is the softest of the organization. I would not be surprised to see Wade fired at seasons end. One thing I can't stand are soft coaches. The players rarely respect people like that, and when they don't respect you, they will never play for you.

14. The Aqua Crush

The Aqua Crush New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Calgary Alberta Canada
    Intensity on D translates to production on a defense, especially against a run. If your physical and relentless you can overcome lack of talent IMO.

All that intensity and relentlesness is straight from the coaches and team mentality. I hope it keeps working for Carpenter. He played great all game. Never gave up on any play.

I see that attitude in the Saints D too. No one thought they could be good, but they just don't quit on any play.

Steelers and ravens D's are like that too. I think we finally have that in Miami. Lots of players on our D are looking much better than a scouting report would indicate. But it comes from the way they play, how much effort they put in on every snap.

CANT WAIT to see them unleash on Stinkchez.

ToddsPhins and djphinfan like this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    To be honest, Deej, I cant remember what I thought of him when he came out.

Who knows, maybe his heart was "in the game" prior to being drafted, but then took a detour in Dallas. I could go with the "fitting the defensive scheme" reasoning, but that doesn't explain his physicality for stopping AP when he was previously thought of as a "barbie" in Dallas. Whatever the reason, I hope it persists! :knucks:

djphinfan likes this.
  16. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Your right I watched the game for the 2nd time with the wife when she got home and pointed the exact thing out to her. Seen him make a solo also that would have been 6 for vikes had he not made such a trail to make the tackle.

djphinfan likes this.
  17. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I like the sound of that...not sure I respect it, but I dont pretend to know what makes every young man tick...

Iam sure it sucked for him to be courted by this regime, then left abruptly...

18. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    Thats the thing Aqua, their athletic scouting reports across the board are off the charts.

19. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Then maybe Nolan has found a way to motivate their passion and intensity side to match up to their "scouting reports". Maybe it just takes believing in what you do as well as believing in the confidence that Nolan has in what he does. People are capable of crazy stuff when properly motivated, are we not? It seems like he's made the defense feel like they're a team and like they truly depend on one another out there to work as a unit...... like the "if one fails then we all fail" mentality.

What say you, Deej?

20. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    It was a matter of time before Bobby found a home here. I think he'll thrive with us.

21. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    yeah he sheds him perfectly, really surprised that he didnt bulge more after the best RB in this freakin league comes full steam at him, great play

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Nice thread. Great job by Carpenter on the play, but I'm not going to kid myself here. If A.D. isn't completely gassed by the end of that drive he then IMO he'd have steamrolled Bobby Carpenter. Heck, he probably would've run through Dansby on 4th down to if Vontae wasn't there to clean it up. Kudos to our defensive line for occupying the Vikings blockers and allowing Dansby & Dobbins to fill. It was a team effort, there's no other way to stop that guy.

23. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    He has been a bit of a suprise but we need to see more out of him.

24. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Im thinking bobby carpenter can be a move the team made that we'll be talking about for awhile. We'll see though...

25. ChrisKo

ChrisKo Season Ticket Holder

Nov 28, 2007
    Desert
    If you go back and watch the replay of Vontae's INT at the goal line, you'll also notice Bobby recognize it and go blast a block for Vontae. Unfortunately it was for not as Percy had touched Vontae before he got up, but it was a nice recognition and initiation of contact by Bobby "Ken" Carpenter. :D

26. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    So the defense isn't tired at all?

ToddsPhins and MrClean like this.
  27. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

My opinion on why Carpenter didn't thrive in Dallas was he was kind of like how Jason Allen was for us up till this season. Moved back and forth between S and CB. Bobby was moved back and forth between OLB and ILB wasn't he? Seems like IIRC, he was going to be an OLB until they drafted Spencer, then they decided to move him inside. No one is going to take time away from Bradie James, so that left Carp to compete for time at the other ILB spot. Akin was still a solid starter in 2006/07. Dallas signed Zach to play there in 2008. Burnett was also getting reps as a nickel backer. Brooking came along in 2009 so the two starting spots are solidified between he and James.
    Due to his coverage ability, it looks like Carpenter will get a lot of snaps here. Then when he shows he can stuff the run like that, Crowder and Dobbins look out. You both may be permanently relegated to reserve roles.

28. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

Exactly. The ones initiating the contact are less effected by fatigue than the ones absorbing the contact. That's one reason why teams rotate constantly on the DL to have fresh bodies out there, but the same 5 OL barring injury play the entire game. Carpenter was more or less stationary and had AP driving into him. For him to hold his ground and make the play on the best RB since Barry Sanders is highly commendable.

ToddsPhins and djphinfan like this.
  29. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    agreed, also, I think its about the code, and how their discipline and training principles have eventual impact on the player physically and mentally. We are seeing the culmination of the process which results in a Young, fast, super physical, disciplined, true team. Nolan's like a kid in a candy store.

Respect the avatar..

ToddsPhins likes this.