1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFC East: What Does Win No. 1 Mean for Dolphins?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by NJFINSFAN1, Sep 25, 2008.

Tags:
  1. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    (Sports Network) - Signs of progress have been located for the 2008 Miami Dolphins, but the team's long-suffering fan base has seen that movie before.

The Fins showed signs of progress under Nick Saban and Dave Wannstedt, too, and it never translated into the team actually becoming an AFC contender during the current decade. Heck, there were times during the first month of the lost 2007 season when it looked like Cam Cameron had the organization on the right track.

So you'll have to pardon Miami fans if their enthusiasm in the wake of the team's shocking 38-13 road beat-down of the New England Patriots on Sunday is somewhat restrained.

Check back in early November if you want a true assessment of where the stock of the Tony Sparano/Bill Parcells regime really resides.

After their Week 4 bye, the Dolphins will embark upon a rough five-game stretch in which the world will determine whether the Patriots win was a fluke, a prediction of the team's ascent, or something in between.

During those five weeks, Miami will host the Chargers (10/5), Ravens (10/19), and Bills (10/26) and will travel to meet the Texans (10/12) and Broncos (11/2). There's a good chance the Fins will be underdogs in all of those games, though more convincing performances like the one put up on Sunday are sure to change that.

For more of the story, here is the Link
    Seattle Post-Intelligencer: NFL/Football

2. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    Sounds about right to me! Let's see what we got Sparano... Chargers would be another upset!

3. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    The Fins showed signs of progress under Nick Saban and Dave Wannstedt, too, and it never translated into the team actually becoming an AFC contender during the current decade.

We were in the playoffs in 2000 and 2001 and came close a few other times. Doesn't that make us an AFC contender?

4. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The Chargers defense looks very suspect to this point. Merriman out really hurts them.

However, they have the ability to outscore anyone... even with LT banged up.

If we can control the clock and make some stops on D we have a chance to make it close.

5. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    i'm predicting something in between. I think we fall to the Chargers, Beat the Ravens, fall to the Bills, and beat the Texans, lose to the Broncos. I say at that point we're 3-5. :up:

6. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Sorry, but I REALLY dont like the matchups in that game. Of course if we do pull it off, I think it is really more of an upset than the Pats game was.

The intriguing game for me is the Donkos. I say THAT will be a better barometer of where we are...and I am predicting that is a W for us :hi5:

7. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    The only matchup that scares me is Gates vs. Anyone we have to cover him. Im not predicting a win either by any means. But we are at home coming off a bye, so that helps.

8. DrAstroZoom

DrAstroZoom Canary in a Coal Mine Luxury Box

Jan 8, 2008
    Springfield, Ill.
    If the Texans game were tomorrow, we'd have to be the favorite, perhaps comfortably so.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    NJ, What this game means is that you and your jersey friends should get your tails down here and represent...This is the biggest game in a decade for our franchise...come on sister, lets all get to the stadium and raise some hell...

10. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Thats what I was thinking. We should be able to beat the Ravens, and the texans. Id LOVE to see us beat the bills, but theyre really on top of their game right now. Bronco's... I dont think we have a good chance there, same with the chargers.

11. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    So your paying for my plane tickets, game tickets, room and are you going to coach my two HS baseball games?:hi5:

12. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

Doc having never beaten those pesky Texas I won't feel good until we do. Sure am hoping its this year cause we need a break!!:wink2::up:

13. FinsAreLife

FinsAreLife Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2007
    While im extremely high off of this win going into the bye week, i also am trying to be a bit realistic here. I know our chances of beating the chargers are not extremely high but they are higher than what they were a week ago. Even with a 1-3 start i can see us turning it around and finishing 7-9 or 8-8 which is pretty impressive considering all we've been through.

14. calphin

calphin deadly at 250 yards!!

Guys and gals, my gut tells me we have our best coach since Shula.

15. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    gosh i hope our crowd gets electric