1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AFC East Team Reviews

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin Fan In Cali, Feb 9, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2009/tmafceast.htm

Biggest disappointment: Ted Ginn Jr. was supposed to blossom from speedy youngster to consummate receiver in his second year in the league. It didn’t happen. Save for one tremendous outing against the Bills, the top-10 pick from 2007 personified mediocrity. More troubling was the lack of toughness he displayed, often choosing to duck out of bounds instead of lowering his shoulder. He was removed from punt-return duties in favor of undrafted rookie Davone Bess.

Offseason outlook: The Dolphins are only beginning their ascension. It was believed to be a multiyear reclamation project, but the club is ahead of schedule. With the exception of a new offensive line coach, their coaching staff remains in place. Still, they need to bolster both lines.

sking29, mullingan, Trowa and 2 others like this.
  2. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Pretty succinct and to the point.

3. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Call it 20 years of Patriots hate,but does anyone REALLY believe that Matt Cassel is a starting caliber QB in the NFL?

4. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    "often choosing to duck"

HOw many times, oh great PFW? Once? Twice?

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN and like2god like this.
  5. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    New England is a mess. Pioli and McDaniels are gone. Brady is way behind on his rehab and rumor is wont be ready for the start of the season. If they franchise Cassel 25% of their salary cap will go to those 2 guys. Plus the aging defense is a big concern.

New York isn't much better. With a rookie head coach, a Brett Favre who can't play anymore, a bust of a first round pick in Vernon Gholston taking up cap space and all those high priced FAs they picked up last year they have no manueverability under the cap.

Meanwhile Miami is young with continuity at all coaching positions, lots of cap room and people in charge who know how to evaluate talent.

Looks like New England and New YOrk are on their way down while Miami is on their way up. And really who gives a **** about Buffalo? This makes me happy

6. EdSta74

EdSta74 I

Mar 22, 2008
    Long Island City, NY
    sound accurate to me. I thought he would have had a better year. although I dont know how "tough" you want a 190 lb. WR to be? Marvin Harrison has had a pretty decent carreer, while avoiding the "tough" image...

Rocky Raccoon, padre31 and mullingan like this.
  7. RBrown23

RBrown23 Thanks GISH

Jan 21, 2009
    Maryland
    They seem to be real harsh on Ginn just after his second year. People arent hard on Quinn since everyone loved him coming out of college and Ginn has had more of an impact. Ginn IMO will vastly improve next season. Browns play dramtically increased from his second season to his third despite injury. This draft and F/A is really big for us. We need to get future studs and rookies that can have immediate impact like ours did this year.

8. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Ginn is the fall guy for Quinn apologists....

The guy is an idiot not only was the Ginn evaluation off target so was alot of the other analysis. His opinion=irrelevant.

Phinz420 and PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN like this.
  9. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    For the Jets, the "team" does not want Brett Favre back. The only one who wants Brett Favre back is Woody Johnson. Sure there some fans, but not many, as well, but to say the team wants Favre back is a joke. Tannenbaum said he wanted Favre back because Woody Johnson writes his checks and what is what Woody wants, he isn't stupid.

Anyway,

Ginn is a big disappointent. He had his 7 catch, 175 yard performance but other than that he's had 31 mediocre games. He is never going to transform into a #1 WR, a #2 is his ceiling. As long as Bess & Camarillo are in Miami he will not crack the starting lineup unless there is an injury. If Brady Quinn ends up being a 15 year pro with 7-10 Pro Bowls and a Super Bowl ring or two and the Dolphins don't end up with a QB that successful, the Quinn apologists as some of you so say, will be right.

Quinn was the smarter pick, even though Chad Pennington did play well in 2008.

10. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    How could Ernest Wilford not be the biggest disappointment? He was given a 6 million dollar signing bonus to be a starting WR and he was inactive for half the season.

11. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    This is such BS. It's amazing how Ginn's huge game against the Bills is somehow used to make him look bad.

Were his 67 yards and a td against Seattle mediocre?
    Were 93 total yards and a td against Oakland mediocre?
    Were his 88 yards against New England mediocre?
    Were his 75 yards and a td against Kansas City mediocre?
    Were his 71 yards and a td against New York mediocre?

Please don't foolishly brush off anything else he did this season just because you don't like him.

Oh and guess what? Camarillo and Bess were on the team this season and Ginn was still in the starting lineup.

Rocky Raccoon, Trowa, Sceeto and 5 others like this.
  12. PMZQ

PMZQ Banned

Nov 24, 2007
    Miami, FL
    Well you have to admire what he did this year, but I think he also benefitted from having some great offensive line and reciever help.

It will be really interesting to see if someone takes him and pays that price of two 1st round picks. To me its too steep and I just hope they are stuck with $ 32 million in just two players. That I think will help cripple them

13. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts

Exactly, the Ginn Hate is amazing to see, to me he is a rising player whose best attribute deep speed is underutilized due to Chad Pennington's proclivities and Ginn is learning the position out on the field.

Now my beef with Ted Ginn was his abysmal kick return effort this past season, he looked lost out there and P Cobbs easily passed him in effectiveness this past season.

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN likes this.
  14. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    He did have some consistency issues but that is common with young players. Plus, I'm not sure how much we can attribute it to the way our offense was designed where we never really forced the ball to any one player.

I'm guessing the focus on being a wide receiver is taking away from his return skills. It seems odd but the same thing happened to Hester who also ended up being replaced on kick returns. Although, Ginn's return against Seattle that was called back was awesome.

15. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Ginn has improved greatly over last year and I've read a few articles that have said he is on the rise.

16. 124

124 Banned

May 12, 2008
    Yes.
    Questionable.
    Questionable.
    Yes.
    Yes.

Take a look at the # of receptions in those games.

For instance, 2 for 71 against the Jets in Week 17. He made a couple of nice plays but was non exsistent the rest of the way.

He is what he is, a guy with a ceiling of being a #2 WR. Was not worth a Top 10 pick at all.

17. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    How are 93 yards and a TD questionable?
    How is 88 yards receiving questionable?

It doesn't matter how many receptions. It's the production that comes with those receptions. In the Jets game, one catch was a TD and the other catch was a 44 yarder that set up the game winning touchdown. Doesn't seem very questionable to me.

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

When I see Quinn have an impact then I will listen...Ginn was very raw and is evolving, Brady Quinn looked like the "smart" pick for alot of teams but he still managed to fall to #22.

Like I said Ginn had 800 yards being a possesion Wr something his naysayers said he couldnt do. When he gets a Qb who stretch the field then he will have his 1,000 yards and people will finally shut up.

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN and padre31 like this.
  19. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, and that, IMO, will help make Ted Ginn a better Wr. He has to learn how to create space quickly and present himself to the Qb or he won't be thrown the ball. Completely the opposite of his time at OSU.

He did fine on that this season for a young Wr, but this year he should elevate that ability even more.

He just looked bad at returning kicks this season, as in hesitant, dropped a few kicks, ran for the sidelines, just a piss poor performance IMO.

20. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Ginn abused the DB on the TD then made two Jet defenders look foolish when adjusting to the ball and making the catch right over them. Those two plays were crucial for Miami beating the Brett's and winning the division.

21. Rhody Phins Fan

Jan 14, 2009
    Exactly. Surprise Surprise... a Jets fan isn't impressed with Ginn's performance in week 17.:cry:

22. hammerbillsfan

hammerbillsfan Suffering Bills Fan

Dec 28, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I do. :cry:

23. PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN

PENNSYLVANIADOLPHAN Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2008
    124 has no idea what he's talking about.

Phinz420 likes this.