1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A13OVEAVERAGE's 2015 Training Camp Practice #6 Thoughts

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by A13OVEAVERAGE, Aug 5, 2015.

1. A13OVEAVERAGE

A13OVEAVERAGE Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    You asked for it, so I'm delivering. Instead of an overview of the whole team like last week I tried to focus more so on the trenches today. It was my first time seeing the team practice in full pads and they did not disappoint.

Top Performer: Jarvis Landry #14

We all love Juice or should I call him Jambo now.. his fire, his work ethic, his one hand catches. I'm telling you now he is all those things and more. He is going to break out this season and become a full fledged star. He was everywhere today, but probably the most notable was 60 yards down the field where Tannehill hit him in stride in the end zone! He was basically wide open because he was pulling away from Louis Delmas. Did I just say pulling away from.. the answer is yes, he's fast. He caught passes in the flat, one of which he stiff armed Bobby McCain so hard that he nearly knocked his helmet off (which started a mini scuffle, no biggie). He also caught passes across the middle, the 10-20 yard range, my favorite was when he got open in the heart of the zone behind the linebacker then put on a small juke display on the safety and corner. Lastly he showed some more of his deceptive speed during a punt return where he outran the gunners and if it was a real game would've scored a TD untouched.

Most Consistent Performers: Ryan Tannehill #17, Ndamukong Suh #93

Ryan was on point again today, including multiple TD passes in the 11 on 11's. The crowd erupted when he hit Landry for that 60 yard bomb, it was beautiful! On that play specifically he showed good pocket awareness by sliding his feet to avoid a little pressure and then launched it, perfect spiral (it looked to have more arc on it like how Matt Moore throws his deep balls), that hit Juice right in the hands in stride. He just keeps putting out good practice after good practice, very few mental mistakes. What's scary is that he still has room to grow.. continue to hit the deep ball, keep working on his pocket awareness, and take off when nothing is there and he will be a top 10 quarterback in this league.

Ndamukong Suh also referred to as big chief down here is nearly unstoppable. It was the very first play of the day, he was already in the backfield. He had multiple tackles for loss and at least one sack. I mean just look at the photos of the guy, his face, he is so focused and determined.. and he's like that everyday. I love seeing him talk to the coaches, the young guys, and even Wake about how to improve their rush. He's gonna bring so much to this team and not just by the plays he makes on the field.

Trending Upward: Terrence Fede #78

Fede looks poised to make a jump in his second year after being a raw prospect last season. He's been wrecking havoc on the offensive line, including adding three more sacks today. While watching him you see little parts of all the other defensive lineman. He's quick off the snap, shows a lot of strength, and he's been really good at shedding blocks. One thing I like is you can tell he's confident and he looks very comfortable out there. He's gonna get a lot of playing time this upcoming season.

Offensive Line Focus: (Don't worry about a thing, 'cause every little thing gonna be all right)

Branden Albert #71 looked 10 times better walking and jogging around than this time last week, so that's a huge positive. He still has a little hitch in his giddy up but you can see he's getting better. Mike Pouncey #51 is by far the best player we have on the offensive line, and just because it's not close doesn't mean it's a bad thing, he's just elite. What I noticed today that makes him elite is his feet, meaning the positioning and speed. When he's locked up with someone his feet are churning. Ja'Wuan James #70 is solid, he still can continue to improve but he is solid. He has a good first step. He did give up some plays to Wake but that's to be expected.. when it did happen he came back the next play much better, including putting Wake on the ground once that I saw. He did have one mental error in the redzone with a false start. Jason Fox #74 is also solid. Like James nothing that I'd write home about, but definitely good enough to get by and play well. He's also a really big guy, bigger than I first thought. Billy Turner #77 probably has the best punch on the team, it's brutal when he connects, the problem is that when he misses he gets destroyed. He's able to re-adjust his hand position well once he's into a guy as long as he didn't whiff on the punch. You can see his strength when watching too, he really didn't look bad considering he mainly goes against Suh. Jamil Douglas #75 had moments that were good but also some pretty bad ones.. Mitchell put him on his a** during 1 on 1 drills, he was visibly frustrated, but came back the next play and stonewalled him. He's very strong, his problem is he's playing a little stiff and he's not moving/adjusting to what his man is doing fast enough. His feet positioning and speed need to improve. Part of that is being a rookie and still learning. That being said I do see Turner and Douglas locking down the guard positions over Thomas (who did not practice, thank you) unless there is a free agent signing. Both of their strengths is in the run game and they did very well in that today.. tons of holes for Miller, Williams, James, and Ajayi.

Defensive Line Focus:

Already talked about Suh and Fede.. so Cameron Wake #91 it is. He is so phenomenal at getting around the edge. His speed and getting the offensive lineman's hands off him are what makes him elite. Watching him play next to Suh is a wet dream, can I say that? Olivier Vernon #50 has looked very good as well, he has a nasty spin move. He's also fast enough to get around the edge like Wake to a lesser extent and strong enough to set the edge. Fox played him well today though. Earl Mitchell #90 is very quick for a man his size, bull rushing Douglas and pancaking him was also very impressive. Jordan Phillips #97 is so massive, seriously. He's pretty strong too, at one point he drove Pouncey 3-5 yards straight into the backfield. His issue that I saw was he's struggling to get off blocks and I can't tell for sure but seems to get tired faster than some of the others. He's great at being a space eater and taking up blocks in the middle though. He stayed after practice with Wake among others and ran sprints. AJ Francis #96 looks like a dud, he's one of the slower players that I saw and continued to get stonewalled over and over. I wasn't a fan before, definitely not now. CJ Mosley #94 is solid, he can get off blocks and get in the backfield. Anthony Johnson #76 was impressive, shedding blocks with speed and power. He had a really good day in the team drills that I saw. I don't think Derrick Shelby #79 practiced, I could never find him.

Side Notes:

All the RBs looked good.. Miller had multiple nice long runs, Williams with a handful of hard long runs, James was explosive, and Ajayi had one good run with a cutback (needs to hit the hole). Matthews had a really good day (multiple catches, drew pi on a deep pass in the 2 minute drill), Preston showed up with a nice high point catch, Jennings was smooth as butter, and Stills was still sidelined doing conditioning stuff. Fields looked better, a lot of booming punts and a couple placed inside the 10 yard line. Didn't really watch the linebackers or corners/safeties.. but Chris McCain, Tripp, and Jenkins flashed a couple times. Also Lippett got his first interception.

Final Thoughts:

After a practice like yesterday, today was good to see. It was extremely hot (weather) and heated (multiple scuffles). Players and the team in general have improved from this time last week which is very encouraging. Tomorrow I plan on focusing on the LBs, if there's anything or anyone specific you want me to keep an eye on let me know. It will be the last time I get to go to training camp this season. Expect another write up tomorrow night, thanks for reading!

Day 1: http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...GE-s-First-Day-of-Training-Camp-2015-Thoughts
    Practice #7: http://www.thephins.com/forums/show...RAGE-s-2015-Training-Camp-Practice-7-Thoughts

toto, EverFin, siciliansith and 55 others like this.
  2. Colmax

Colmax Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2007
    Thanks for the write up! Awesome job!

What do you see from the DBs; specifically, corners?

A13OVEAVERAGE likes this.
  3. dirtylandry

dirtylandry Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Has anyone heard anything new about Mathis?

Great write up, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Nice read. Thanks.

5. Fin4Ever

Fin4Ever Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 26, 2014
    Vero Beach, FL
    Once again CJ......Stellar write up...and we ALL THANK YOU for the Awesome, unbiased work..beat reporters contradicting each other again....

6. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Thanks again A13OVE...did you see Marino out there, and if so, did you notice if he was focusing on anything in particular? He's got to be liking this pre-season/camp better than last year's.

7. mcdave21

mcdave21 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Apr 25, 2013
    Nice job. Thanks for sharing.

8. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Short and sweet..

BG hasn't lost a step.
    Brice McCain is a huge upgrade over Jimmy Wilson, plays tough/physical.
    Bobby is always around the ball, fluid hips/quick feet.
    Taylor playing with confidence, challenging the receivers.
    Davis still takes too many chances, been burned multiple times.
    Lippett looks good, still learning. Good ball skills, which figures as a past WR.

Reshad looks really good, strong in the box.
    Delmas' communication is huge with alignments/coverages.
    Thomas is really solid.
    Aikens is up and coming, breaking on more passes.

I'll include some more stuff about them in tomorrow's write up along with the LBs.

Edit: Also Bobby is a fighter, Juice stiff armed the s*** out of him and he got up and smacked Landry back. I like that in a corner. I really like all three McCains to be honest, but they all need to keep progressing.. they aren't THERE yet.

DOLPHAN1, gandalfin, Fin4Ever and 8 others like this.
  9. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    I saw him before the players came out of the bubble, I was gonna take a picture but he didn't seem to like that too much.. lol.

10. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    I am looking forward to it. Your write ups are excellent.

Fin4Ever, djphinfan and A13OVEAVERAGE like this.
  11. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Highlight of the Day: Tannehill DEEP to Landry
    [video]http://www.miamidolphins.com/multimedia/videos/Highlight-Of-The-Day-Tannehill-Deep-To-Landry/a88937ba-0d50-4aab-b8e3-4928cabd3c02?campaign=social_20150806_50360136&adb id=629102122630447105&adbpl=tw&adbpr=19853312[/video]

If that doesn't get you f****** pumped I don't know what will.

Fin4Ever, SICK and PhinFan1968 like this.
  12. PhinFan1968

PhinFan1968 To 2020, and BEYOND! Club Member

Amen brother.

13. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    That was like a drug..

Thanks CJ.

2maro see if Chris Mccain has special in him.

what the hell is going on with Ajayi and this hesitation BS.

can lamike return punts and kickoffs, and how close is he to D williams.

Bpk and A13OVEAVERAGE like this.
  14. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Tripp and Eret are at the top of my list.

Ajayi had one good run today, he bounced way outside like a sweep, then cutback across the field. He just doesn't hit the hole hard or consistently. I don't see him as anything other than number 4 on the depth chart as of right now. I talked to him for a second after practice, nice guy but kind of comes off as a little cocky when he hasn't proved anything yet. There's still hope though, he needs to keep working. I learned he's left handed.. which means nothing lol.

James can, but Landry looks better. Juice fields them cleaner than all the rest and then housed one today.

IMO Williams is the clear number 2 at the moment, but James is closing up to him. Damien ran extremely well today, like breaking tackles/long runs.. 10-15 yards a pop. James is fast as hell though and shifty, he's like Sproles but not as good.. yet.

Fin4Ever, Pandarilla and RoninFin4 like this.
  15. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Thanks CJ, appreciate you focusing on the interior OL a bit. There was an interview with Jamil Douglas on the Dolphins site a few days ago. They had some clips from practice on there, and it's tough to gauge just how accurate the beat reporter's tweets were. There was one particular 1-on-1 I recall where they mentioned Douglas had gotten beat; I believe that same play was in the video during his interview. Yes, eventually the DT, Mosley, got by him, but if it'd been in a game, Tannehill would've gotten the ball out by the time Mosley got him with a long-arm move.

Encouraging to hear about the secondary and Damien Williams.

Fin4Ever and A13OVEAVERAGE like this.
  16. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Billy Turner and Jamil Douglas are not as bad as people make it sound at all, especially run blocking. Yes, they do give up some bad plays and mental mistakes at times but look who it's against. In a perfect world would I want to be going into the season with them as my starters and Thomas as the backup.. not really, but am I worried that it will cost us the season, no. They'll continue to improve over the next few weeks of practices and preseason games. I think the Panthers week is gonna be a major help to us. Mathis would most certainly be an upgrade, and if Albert stays healthy all season that would be a serious left side of the offensive line. We don't wish injuries on anyone but with Thomas now being hurt for I don't know how long, I would assume they'll be looking for someone else to come in.. Mathis or other.

RoninFin4 and Fin4Ever like this.
  17. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

We need to get this guy to Camp every day! Awsome write ups!

A13OVEAVERAGE and Fin4Ever like this.
  18. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    start a "kick starter" Ill chip in!

Thanks, Cj. Watch for the UDFA linebackers tomorrow, Luc, Hull and Vigil I wanna see how their doing!

19. gandalfin

gandalfin Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 10, 2007
    Kissimmee, Florida
    Thank you many times. This is like the old days when Ozzie and others did camp reports. Far far better than the tweets from the press guys, although they are much appreciated too. But your reports give a much better perspective, especially because you don't have any other agendas in your reporting.

20. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    we need you at the scrimmage CJ at FIU.

RoninFin4 likes this.
  21. btfu149

btfu149 Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2011
    Indianapolis, IN
    Are we doing any work on 2 point conversions? Interested to hear if we are with the rule changes. Great work CJ, your write ups are awesome!

22. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    I'll get working on it later, be up sometime tonight.. you might not like what I have to say though.

23. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    I really wish I was going, but unfortunately I have to work. :sad:

With just moving down here and all the expenses that comes first I'm afraid.

24. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    Not that I have seen specifically, but when we practice redzone stuff I think it factors in.. they do a decent amount of work inside the 20, 10, and 5 yard lines.

btfu149 likes this.
  25. A13OVEAVERAGE

Aug 13, 2013
    Frostproof, FL
    [video=twitter;629349746180669440]https://twitter.com/MiamiDolphins/status/629349746180669440[/video]
    Instead of the link, enjoy!

26. Griese's Glasses

Griese's Glasses Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Ottawa, ON
    If that doesn't get you amped up for week 1 I don't know what will!