1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A unconventional draft strategy..

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by padre31, Feb 7, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Last year we were blessed with two #1's in a sort of fluke happening, we took a LT at #1 even though Vern Carey did a good to great job at LT in 07.

We then made a odd pick, we took Phillip Merling at #32, to my unconventional thinking, his selection was not a product of BPA, he slid past players such as Kentwan Balmer and Dustin Keller.

This year, I propose that the #44 pick is actually our #1 pick, and our #25 can be used on whomever you'd like, or who one thinks Ireland and Sparano would like.

So far, we have Ireland's statement that a team is built up the middle and needs a #1 Cb and and Qb and a Wr, Sparano has said we must improve the line play, in fact he stated he was an old line coach and he had to learn that he cannot get everything he wants, Sparano also said you cannot have to many good Corner Backs.

The other evidence to consider is Parcell's has a firm history in the Draft, Wr are rarely taken with a #1 pick, same story with Cb's, but he also had not taken a Olineman with a #1 pick outside of his time with the Giants (generally speaking there could be "1" or "2").

For myself, the #25 pick is a wildcard, I'd take a player that was not a "need" per se, but would or could be a above average player for us.

OL like Britton or Oher if he slides at #25?

Wr like Harvin or Bey or Nicks?

Te like Pettigrew?

At #44, we can take a Matthews or English or Woods or Barden, Johnson or Caldwell.

Let me add Q Groves was supposed to be one of those OLB passrushing monsters and he sputtered in Jacksonville ditto Calais Campbell...Fred Davis was invisible in Washington...the hype doesn't live up to the play at least in the first year, so who could come in at #44 and be our "#1" pick and play and make an impact?

2. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Delmas, Britt, Rashad Johnson, Sean Smith, William Moore, Alphonso Smith, Victor Harris. Any of those att 44 would help.

Barden is not worth 44.

English own't be there at 44 IMO.

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sintim might be, but the one player I'd love to see at #44 is Jerry Peria (sp).

Fergie is 34 and Soliai is not 100% as of yet, he could come into camp focused, but at the moment, a new NT would be nice.

I look at those 3 #7's, and think...go Cb like we did Rb last year, 2 late picks on corners, maybe 3...

So maybe Demas or Peria.

#57?

How about a Te or Johnson out of LSU? We would have a NT at #44 and a G/T at #57...both could play day 1 if healthy and would help our paper thin depth at key positions.

Fergie was injured and we played badly, our Guards went out and our running game became worse then it was.

4. pocoloco

pocoloco I'm your huckleberry Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    North Chicagoland
    I suspect a few can make an immediate impact (for us) at 44

Probably will be there
    Eric Wood
    Clint Sintim
    Connor Barwin
    Rashad Johnson

50/50
    William Moore
    Kenny Britt
    Sen'Derrick Marks
    Duke Robinson
    Victor Harris

Probably not
    Louis Delmas
    DJ Moore
    Hakeem Nicks
    Mack and Unger
    Peria Jerry
    Brandon Pettigrew
    Eben Britton

I tend to like Brian Robiskie's potential in our offense, but I may be the only one.

5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Nice, If we did not go Oline at #25, then Wood would be the one I'd want off that list, Sintim is a possiblity, Barwin seems a bit early and Johnson is a unknown.

I'd go with Wood.

I'd take Britt, maybe Peria at #25 and Britt at #44, to me Britt has a huge boom or bust factor though.

One of those centers will be there, Centers are just not a hot commodity in Round #1.

Something like Jeria at #25, or Smith at #25 or Nicks and Harris, Johnson or Demas at #44 and Michael Johnson at #57 or Britt at #57 or Unger would be a nice Day 1...

He doesn't play like #1 Wr material though poco.

6. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Robiskie IMO would feel to much like having another Bess/Camarillo type out there, and in those 2 guys we have enough. Ginn provides a playmaker ability, with great versatility.
    We need a stud #1 now who can run a good route, has decent enough speed (doesnt need to burn, but cant be a wilford), catches everything and can get open when needed. Nicks would be the closest imo that we could reach. Can dream of Crabtree but thats not happening.
    Harvin and Macklin are to much in the Ginn mold. Hard to see any WR in the top 2 but Nicks unless someone goes beserk at the combine.
    At this point, Im looking defense unless someone really good slides (one of those top OL maybe). Looking at weak points, we have addressed the passrush with Wake already. We could use some beef in the middle. When Crowder was out, our defense was very porous, ditto with Ferguson, so a top MLB or DT would suit me well, as well as any secondary position.
    Padre I like your view of the 7th rounders. Shotgun approach. Load up on a position in the late rounds, fire a spread and hope to hit a shot or two. Can plug it into any position you feel needs addressing, mostly for depth. In that regard, Id say CBs, OL, DL would all work well doing this approach.

7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    3 7th round picks, a corner or safety who sticks should be available, heck take the two fastest remaining on the Board, then take a Db who was injured but showed promise the year before.

8. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    I will say what Camarillo and Bess don't give you that Robo does is a read zone threat. Brian Robiskie has great body control.

pocoloco likes this.
  9. KMoorez

KMoorez New Member

Feb 10, 2009
    Draft Kenny Britt...he's the real deal!!