1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A thought experiment

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by tirty8, Apr 16, 2020.

1. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    I am going to just ask a question. You can extrapolate as much or as little as you would like from this question, but I am just gonna leave the question right here.

Would you be wiling to trade all of the Dolphins' receivers for all of Alabama's receivers?

2. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    You don't like Tua we get it.

3. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    That is absolutely untrue. If the Chargers traded up and took Herbert at #3, I would personally walk the card up with Tun's name on it (figure of speech; obviously no cards this year).

My thoughts are this. If we were on the clock with Tua and Herbert, I would take Herbert. I would be vehemently opposed to giving up a lot to move up to #3 to get him.

4. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Parker and Williams straight up for Jeudy and Ruggs?

I'd be really tempted, but they'd need to come with the 5 year rookie deal. Both are obviously unproven at the NFL level, but frankly so is Preston Williams, and while Parker excelled last year, you have to wonder if he repeats or just had one good year in him before the magic wears off and he's a pumpkin again.

That said, you could probably do the same with LSU's group, though Ja'Marr Chase isn't coming out till next year.

5. Puka-head

Puka-head My2nd Fav team:___vs Jets Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Slightly left of center
    ducky no.jpe

WR is the least of our problems. I wouldn't be totally opposed to Jeudy OR Ruggs, preference Ruggs. But only if available bottom 1st, maybe after a trade down from 26. Just so many more holes to fill.

And if we do draft a rookie QB high that fans will be screaming for to start tomorrow, a solid veteran WR corps would benefit him the most.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  6. mooseguts

mooseguts Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2018
    No, while I don't love Parker he is a proven talent while Jeudy and Ruggs could be the next Nelson Agholor and Kevin White.

7. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    Strange analysis.

8. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Raheem Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Hell no. I like Parker and Williams better than anyone in their group.

KeyFin likes this.
  9. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    Honestly probably not. If you let me keep Parker then I'd probably jump on it.

10. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Plus, Parker & Williams are proven commodities; there's nothing to really discuss unless you're working out a trade of giving us Jeudy, Ruggs and a couple of additional picks as well.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  11. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I wouldnt say Williams is a proven commodity. He has really bad dropsies and is coming off a fairly serious injury.

I love his potential dont get me wrong. Just saying he still has a lot to prove.

texanphinatic likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That's fair. But I like his potential more than that of this years kids in the draft.

AGuyNamedAlex likes this.
  13. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I think that is fair too. My hope is he was in front of a machine or person just throwing balls at him while injured. Cant run and take hits but you can definitely work the hands.

I think he has just as much potential too honestly, it's more that I think we would probably end up roughly even swapping him out in this scenario but also upgrade the #3 spot if we are swapping all other WR. Unless he just meant their top two for our top two, then I'd pass.

14. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Sure. I didn't mean "proven" in that he's a future Pro Bowler (which I think he might be), but more like he's proven that he can run NFL routes, create separation and/or haul in contested passes from starting corners. We don't know that about Alabama's receivers.

To me, it's unheard of what Williams has done as an undrafted rookie and I think the kid is going to be a superstar someday.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
    AGuyNamedAlex likes this.
  15. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Williams was also thought of as a high draft pick before off the field concerns dumped him into our laps as a UDFA, so he's a guy who's got a lot of physical ability too, and wasn't someone who came out of nowhere to overachieve as a rookie.

I'll take guys with Parker and Williams size and skills over the smaller, slight ones from Bama every day of the week.

KeyFin likes this.
  16. TheHighExhaulted

Jan 15, 2008
    He's physically gifted for sure. Still has a lot to prove. Dropped a lot of passes and coming off a pretty significant injury.

KeyFin likes this.
  17. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Did you mean to quote Keyfin on this one? It seems to go more with what he was saying than what I said. Lol

But I do generally agree in terms of size.

KeyFin likes this.
  18. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Sorry, just furthering my previous thought.

AGuyNamedAlex and KeyFin like this.
  19. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Oh no it's cool, it's just he made a comment about Williams being a surprise so I thought you were replying to that.

I also like big WR who can separate. I just want to see Williams work on his catch radius and consistency a bit because that is the true advantage of a big wide out.

I'm a huge fan of Parker though and always have been. To me he can be a very poor mans Randy Moss physically with a better attitude.

20. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'd much rather he be a Michael Irvin type with a better attitude.

21. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Both were great WR. Personally I think if Moss had a better attitude and actually went 100% all of the time hed probably be the consensus #1 player in NFL history at any position.

I've never seen a guy who can literally run past everyone and no matter how far the ball is thrown, catch up to it most of the time or come back to an underthrow and consistently make catches over two defenders. His route running wasnt excellent but his ability to separate and acceleration more than made up for that.

Oddly enough I could see Williams as more of an Irving type if he can catch consistently going forward. Also to be fair we had a limited look at him, maybe his drops arent that bad and some rookie nerves just got to him a few plays. Who knows.

22. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I passionately have hated Moss for many years due to much of what you've said. If someone has all of the talent or ability in the world but had a horrible personality and/or is lazy/doesn't care enough, then I really want to see them fail, and hate when they get heaped with praise.

23. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Oh I totally get hating the attitude. That is why I broke down the mental and physical separate. On some level I do get it, because when you are better than everyone else without trying your whole life none of your coaches push or challenge you. It's how divas are born.

What I meant with Parker is he has the size, speed and catch radius to stretch the field and win a lot of 50/50 balls. He doesnt have the acceleration or top end speed IMO so obviously hes not making all the same insane plays, but his routes are technically better (again, in my opinion) and obviously hes a much better teammate.

24. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I'm really far, far less interested in the 50/50 balls with Parker. I'd like him to be used a LOT less on those, and a lot more on the comeback and out routes that gain 10-15 yards a pop. He's really good at them, but Fitzpatrick isn't good at throwing them.

25. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I dont mean to say we should only throw him 50/50 balls, I just mean he is a reliable downfield target and those types of plays can change a game that either isnt going your way or is neck and neck. You need a guy who can make those types of plays throughout a season. Parker just happens to be that guy for us. It also helps that he can play defense so to speak on those plays that might usually be interceptions to a smaller wideout.

Personally my favorite route is the post, I think Parker would be ridiculously hard to cover in this situation with a QB that has touch on the deep ball.

I also love out routes and the comeback like you said.

26. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    I know that I'm in the minority, but if I had my way, the only deep balls that we'd ever throw would be deep crossing routes off of play action, when the receiver had clearly beaten his man. That's it. Keep everything else under 20 yards in the air.

KeyFin likes this.
  27. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Haha, yeah I wouldnt go that far but I respect it.

Remember that those deep routes arent just to throw every time. It's to open up those shorter routes by forcing the safeties to play deep.

If there is no respect for the deep ball or the boundaries it becomes 100x easier to cover the middle of the field and shorter routes.

28. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    No doubt. You send the one man deep with the expectation that he'll be covered, and have another guy running a shorter route in front of him, and also likely the RB as a dump off. Throw to the open man, run for a few yards then slide, or throw it away. But I hate throwing into coverage.

29. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I dont mind throwing into strong 1-1 coverage occasionally. For example on third down where an INT becomes equivalent to a punt and you're out of FG range by a decent amount.

I also love the deep ball on 1st and 5 after a penalty or off play action on 2nd and short where the defense has to respect everything.

I dont like it as much on third and short because it's a boom bust play, but I can live with it once in a while because when it works it changes a game.

In the end ideally I'd prefer a higher percentage of deep passes completed than volume of course. Yiu have to time it right.

30. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    While WR seems to be way down on the list of needs for Miami, it would be tempting to add to a strength if the right player fell into the late first or early second round.

Williams, as is often the case with an ACL injury, will need half or more of the season to get back to where he was last year, let alone progress as an NFL WR.

Parker? Well, let's be honest, last year was the fluke, right? Until he shows he can play that well consistently this year AND stay healthy for at least 90% of the season we can't say he has finally turned the corner in his NFL career.

If Williams and Parker have issues in 2020, how does our WR corp look? And how nice would it be to have a dynamic rookie if they do?

31. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I don't think Parker was a fluke. There were times he was injured and said he wanted to play and could but Gase held him out. I've never been down on Parker, I think he was in Gase dog house for whatever reason.

32. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    I was down on Parker before this last year. I questioned his commitment and love for the game. I often wondered if Sponge Bob was more important to him than learning his playbook and eating right. That said, I am certainly glad he matured a little bit and turned his game around. I am guessing, but I think we have Flores to thank for that. He has a way with players and can sometimes bring the best out in them if the player has the right attitude.

Wilkimania likes this.
  33. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Its funny that guys can go and spend all night at the club, drink heavily, smoke drugs, knock up ten women, and its all cool. Dudes being dudes. Risk worth taking.

But if I guy likes to watch cartoons, play video games and eat cereal, then he's a lost cause.

So many people on the board seem to have that take, and I just don't get it.

34. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    There is a difference. It's all about on-field production. If Parker was productive then that wouldn't have been an issue to me. Take someone like Michael Irving, who is much like you described. No one had an issue with him because he produced when he was on the field. I also didn't have an issue with Parker last year. He showed up and produced. He was happy. Sponge Bob was happy. I was happy.

35. tirty8

tirty8 Well-Known Member

Jan 2, 2016
    If we drafted a WR in the first round and said we would take the best offer for Williams, what do you think we would be able to get for him?

I am not even sure we would get a 6th round pick.

36. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    Umm, he'd probably get a 3rd or 4th rounder based off last season. Now's not the time to trade him though....with another solid season, he could actually live up to his value.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  37. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Not a chance in hell that he gets a 3-4 rounder. He has a ton of potential, but a decent half-season followed by a major injury does not get teams salivating to throw draft picks at you.

38. Unlucky 13

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    That doesn't matter at all though. He's not a guy who flip and trade. He's one you develop into a key piece of the offense for the long haul.

KeyFin and Surfs Up 99 like this.
  39. muskrat21

muskrat21 Well-Known Member

May 11, 2014
    no, but for LSU's WR's and TE, maybe.

40. texanphinatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Yes I would agree - in part because there isn't really value to be had from flipping, as well as the potential that he could be a good WR option for us.