1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Simple Way to Stop Facebook From Connecting You to Non-Facebook Sites

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by maynard, Mar 12, 2011.

1. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    i dont have a facebook account and didnt get one from the very beginning because i refused to use a site that demanded i sign up for it before even being allowed to see anything about it to then decide if i wanted to join.

i feel increasingly reinforced for not having one, particularly regarding my desire for relative privacy. but my lady has an account.

just now i was on a website of a newspaper. in the "post your comment" section at the bottom of the article, i see that facebook and this site have taken the liberty to use her account and signed me into their site. i see her profile picture there, already logged for a comment. unbelievable. this is exactly the kind of crap i hate

thankfully, there is an easy way to stop this:

http://dhcollier.com/articles/disabling_facebook_connect_nonfacebook_websites

for firefox, get ad block plus if dont already have it and do the following:

threat neutralized :lol:

2. Muck

Muck Throwback Uniform Crusader Retired Administrator

Nov 25, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    You can adjust this type of thing in your Facebook preferences. Facebook is notorious for privacy issues. But in this case it won't sign you in with the FB account unless your lady gave permission to integrate with that site (or perhaps it did it automogically).

The above article is sort of a nuclear approach to a local problem. You don't have to go blocking all ads (thereby denying ad revenue to ThePHINS.com and other sites). ;)

Vengeful Odin likes this.
  3. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    thats true, but would it make a difference in my case? i wasnt going to use it

4. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    This is how bad things have gotten, I make it a strict policy to never use my legal name online to fill out any documentation or registration or what have you, in 12 yrs of posting online..even at 28k

I looked up some old traffic tickets and of course had to use my legal name on the State's form, using Chrome, and lo and behold, there in one of my email accounts, in my spam folder was..a solicitation using my legal first name, the State's policy is not to sell such information, it was purely Google Chrome that snatched the name off of the form.

The State's web policy is not to allow webcrawlers to archive en masse such information.

Adios Chrome.

5. maynard

maynard Who, whom?

Dec 5, 2007
    clearwater, fl
    while i certainly would not want to do anything that would harm this site in any way, i found my experience last night to be an unacceptable invasion of my privacy. it may be a small thing to others and they may find it convenient, but i just dont want facebook (especially facebook) to know what im doing

but i dont think this site has ever done that and it is something i would never use anyway. did that command remove all ads from loading from this site? i thought it was facebook specific, but i cant tell the difference

i dont even want to log in with her account. the whole site feels like malware to me lol

6. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    There’s no way to shut this off in Facebook that I’ve found. Using an ad blocker is the only way.

And it’s a simple task to just whitelist The Phins. :yes: