1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A question about wind power storage.

Discussion in 'Science & Technology' started by padre31, Jun 25, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    I'm far from a wind power advocate, or large scale solar for that matter, but I was pondering the "fact" that storing the energy generated in some form of battery is a major problem, as is storing the energy when there is not sufficent wind to generate more power.

Is it unfeasible to try and store such power as kinetic energy?

Perhaps instead of creating direct current, the wind power could pump fluid into a reserve then release the fluid at need via a dam back into the pumping reservoir?

Such a quasi perpetual motion machine normally is unfeasible due to losses via mechanical inefficiency and poor theromdynamics, in this case the power is "free" so such issues should not have that much of an impact on feasibility should it?

SICK, DeDolfan, azfinfanmang and 2 others like this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    You are proposing Kinetic in the form of Hydro-dynamics?

Nteresting thought, but I am not sure about the practicality.

Just as with any energy source (With exception of Fusion that is) it takes MUCHO agua to produce measurable energy. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it would be a huge engineering feat to reproduce the likes of the Colorado going over Hoover Dam

Fin D likes this.
  3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, sort of, with hydro power "drop" is more important then "flow" the steeper the drop unto the turbine the greater the energy produced.

No doubt you are a mechanical engineer and are now LOLing..:wink2:

I was thinking about massive cylinders that the wind turbines pump water to a upper storage reservoir, then the water is released over the turbines to be sent back to the wind powered pumping stations.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  4. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007

Well, yes I am, and no I am not.
    As I mentioned, it is a very interesting thought, and I wouldnt lol at anybody for being creative.

It of course is a possible feat, and 32feet/sec/sec is a K that could help make it possilbe. That is the rate (k= constant) that Gravity pulls. The higher, the more energy is gained.

As I stated, its not impossible, I just think it is kindve impractical..... but remember, somebody told Ford that many many decades ago.

I might have to go back and dip into some of my Hydrodynamics to see if there are any equations relations from a known model such as Hoover Dam. See what type of flow they need to drive those MASSIVE turbines...of course, it is indeed just that model that creates possibly more electricity than anywhere on earth (Other than Nuclear once again). Anybody ever seen Las Vegas at night? Any night? 365 nights a year....all night.........

SICK, Celtkin and padre31 like this.
  5. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, the idea would revolve around areas that are uniquely suited to such an approach, the Great Lakes region for example or the Plains, or even FL.

azfinfanmang likes this.
  6. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    BigDogsHunt and gafinfan like this.
  7. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

8. DeDolfan

DeDolfan Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Rehoboth Beach
    Some very good points. but, there was a time that space travel was pure fiction. Given some time and R&D, who knows what we may come up with.