1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a possible SuperBowl offensive line-up for 2012?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Feb 29, 2012.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    just for fun, pure banter, speculation, something to play with until serious things begin to happen ...
    does this look like a possible SuperBowl offensive line-up for 2012:

OL: long-pouncey-saturday-icognito-murtha (gardner, jerry, carey) or draft Peter Konz @ Center
    TE: fasano-mastrud (clay, messam) or draft C. Fleener @ TE
    WR: marshall-wayne-hartline (bess, gates, wallace, moore)
    QB: manning-moore-tennehill @ 8
    RB: bush-thomas (messam, clay both interesting possibilities @ RB, FB, HB, even TE)

think we could go all the way with this roster?
    not missing too many pieces as far as I can see & everything doable this year.

make it so & coach'em up
    works for me.:couch: have fun with it.
    really looking forward to the 2012 season. got a good feeling about this year.

2. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Saturday is/has been an iron man...opposite of Grove/Smiley
    6 games missed in the past 12 years plus playing at such a high level
    for so many years to bad he's going to be 37 in a few months...not sure how much is
    left in the tank.

Wayne put up sick numbers considering who was the QB this past season
    75 receptions for 960 yards and 4 tds without a QB
    Add a healthy Manning and 1000+ yards and 7-10 tds should be a given
    A huge upgrade over Hartline who has 1 td in his past 26 games
    Wayne will be 34 by the end of the season but he seems ageless

Manning is the huge question mark
    If healthy with the addition of the players above I can seriously see
    this team going far into the playoffs
    If not 100% ...stay away and go a different route for a QB

3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    miamiron

1) Saturday would be a smart acquisition to immediately upgrade & school our offense line. I'm sure Peyton would benefit from the move & Saturday more than happy to end his career with Manning @ the helm.

2) personally, I don't think we need a WR upgrade. I believe Manning will create an environment so positive for the WR cadre that an automatic upgrade would ensue. having said that, it has been widely speculated that the addition of Wayne would be a good move on Miami's part.

3) about Manning: latest news seems to indicate he is progressing well & has projected his probable return to previous playing form by May. http://miamiherald.typepad.com/spor...-as-dolphins-await-pursuit-um-heat-notes.html having said that, there will forever be people who see the glass half empty. everything is pure speculation @ this point in the year. obviously, I think he'll be ready.

4. magicap

magicap Shonuff

Jan 21, 2012
    there is no way we sign tennehill with the 8th pick if we were to get manning. but i do like the rest of the lineup!

PhinPhanatic likes this.
  5. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    This thread is truly a rollercoaster to read through. I mean that in a good way lol :up:

the 23rd likes this.
  6. vt_dolfan

vt_dolfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

why do you say that, if we got Manning we'd never get Tannehill as well?

7. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    it only makes sense to resolve the QB crisis completely & immediately in 2012:

1) we need to end the SuperBowl drought by bringing aboard Manning & competing for the big enchilada immediately

2) we need to develop the next Franchise QB right behind Manning because it takes time to do so & we may not be in this good of a draft anytime soon. we're drafting 8 overall with three top QB's within that range.
    http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/02/24/2659683/am-qb-may-be-best-option-for-miami.html

3) we have a very talented/competitive roster for 2012, laying aside the man crush & potential up-grades (that don't always pan out), there are very few real needs after resolving the QB issue.
    Maybe: a Center, a TE, a DE/DT to facilitate out side the rush & 4-3. not much, very doable.

the timing to resolve the QB issue, the Achilles' Heel of the Miami Dolphin Franchise, is now, in 2012!

Manning /Tannehill in 2012:dolphin:it just makes sense!http:

8. jw3102

jw3102 season ticket holder

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I don't see Manning as a member of the Dolphins next season. While I would love this if he is healthy, I just think he will have better options if he is able to convince teams around the league that he is healthy. In fact I could see him signing with the Jets, Redskins, Cardinals, or Seahawks, over the Dolphins.

I believe that Flynn will be the starting QB for the Dolphins next season and I see the Dolphins finishing the season 7-9 or possibly 8-8.

9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    interesting...
    why would you think that he would prefer another location?

1) Peyton likes Miami, even has a condo bought & paid for here. the Mannings already spend considerable time in the area. they both know & like the location.

2) he has received a warm invitation from both the fan base & Ross & company. appears Ross has made him a priority on his things to do list for 2012 & has deep pockets.

3) No State Income Tax & No Snow, two more big pluses.

4) our roster is ready to peak & has SuperBowl potential throughout the team

5) he would be a part of the offensive re-structuring, given we have a new HC & OC. many of his astute ideas & unique abilities could find fertile ground in a cooperative, flexible offensive environment. might even be able to bring Saturday & Wayne with him in the deal to facilitate the move. nothing is off the table.

6) Miami is interested in winning a SuperBowl, not rebuilding a team. Manning wants to win another SuperBowl before retiring from football. this would be the ultimate jewel in his crown, asserting his right to the claim: the best QB to have ever played the game. both Peyton & Miami want the SuperBowl, now... & it is doable.

7) would not have to compete directly against his brother, which is always a pleasant family circumstance, making for a better work environment.

seems a likely fit to me

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    about Flynn:

1) not a proven bull by any stretch of the imagination... :no:
    2) was his very limited success due to his superior ability @ QB or the cast that surrounded him playing the two games he started @ Greenbay?
    3) I've stated this before, I have a bad feeling about Flynn. don't think this is a serious consideration @ any level. having said that the Coach knows more about his situation. anything they decide will be fine with me. from the draft to free-agency, ultimately they will live or die by their decisions.
    4) if Greenbay were really hot on him, they'd throw the franchise lock on him to guarantee something in return

I would be very surprised if we went in that direction

11. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

IF, we signed Manning, and I doubt we will, but if...We won't take a QB in the 1st. More likely the 3rd would be the soonest. Perhaps Kirk Cousins. Or wait till the 6th and take a Russell Wilson, or John Brantley.

The main concern with Peyton would be protecting him. Adding Saturday and moving Pouncey to guard would improve the interior protection. We still need an upgrade at RT though. It seems 3/4s of the mock drafts have us taking Iowa tackle Riley Reiff and he is player we should know better than anyone else does, what with Iowa's former OC being on our current staff.
    My top 4 picks if we signed Manning would be something like Reiff in the first, a 4-3 DE like Vinny Curry in the 2nd, Kirk Cousins in the 3rd and TE Michael Egnew in the 4th.
    Or, we could go for the pass rusher in the 1st, like Nick Perry or Quinton Coples, then take a RT like Zebrie Sanders in the 2nd, or take a the best available TE in the 2nd, and one of the top three should be left, at least, between Fleener, Charles and Allen, and take a RT in the 3rd like Matt McCants of UAB, and then take the developmental QB later on, like either Wilson or Brantley.

12. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

They will get a draft pick in return for him. After he signs a nice size UFA contract, the Packers will get a compensatory pick at the end of the 3rd or 4th round in the 2013 draft.

13. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    You have some very good reasons why Manning should sign with the Dolphins, I don't deny that. I still don't think he will end up in Miami and the starting QB for the Dolphins on opening day next year will be Flynn. I would much rather see a healthy Manning or RG3 as the starting QB next year, but I just have a very strong feeling that Philbin wants Flynn, so he can implement the offense he ran in Green Bay. This offense is not suited for Manning and I don't think Ireland has the balls to make the trade needed to get the second pick in the draft from the Rams.

the 23rd likes this.
  14. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    hope Philbin has more up his sleeve than the Packard offense...
    can't believe that an experienced OC, recently turned HC could be so one dimensional in the NFL.
    it's common knowledge you implement a system of play according to the best players available on your roster.
    this is a roster ready to take the next step not enter into another lengthy rebuilding process.

Manning would be a windfall for Philbin & Miami,
    facilitating a quick start & run on the Superbowl.

:deadhorse:we shall see very soon how the team will take shape.

15. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    If we got Manning I would go pass rusher and O line with rounds 1 and 2. Perhaps draft a developmental qb with our 3rd or 4th. Kirk Cousins anyone?

16. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Right now, we have 3 of our DL as FAs...(Soliai, Langford, Merling) and we are switching to a 4-3, meaning we need one more DL than last year... Is Wake a 4-3 DE ?? I'm not too convinced...besides he's likely more useful as a rush LBer in that scheme. We need 2 safeties. Bell showed his age being a problem last season, it was very apparent. Who is our FS ?? Clemons, Jones, Culver (fa)?? Didn't see one there last year and Bell, the closest is a year older. We need a speed complement to our WR troup. Someone to draw coverage away from Marshall, particularly with a Manning at QB. Colombo and Carey are FAs and basically done. That was our right side of the OL. Maybe between Murtha, Garner and Jerry one of them takes one of the spots, that still leaves room for one more OL...I wouldn't count on them filling both spots... Pouncey is just fine at C and doesn't need replacing...If you pick up Saturday, you downgrade the C position from last year. We need a rush LBer/DE for this scheme and a 3rd CB (Allen is a year older and slower, Wilson is still a question and Carroll is mediocre at CB ??). Then you are assuming that guys like Clay, Gates, Thomas, Smith, Carroll, Clemons will suddenly explode onto the scene and guys like Bell and Allen won't have Father Time catching them this year...I don't know about assuming all of that.

As to the Herald article, it's a rehash of old news and even if any of it was new info, it came from Manning's camp and should be taken with a grain of salt. I know that other teams can't really be wooing Manning yet, but there has been absolutely nothing but speculation coming out about him since the season ended. Believe half of what you see and NONE of what you read at this point...I will believe Manning is ready when I see it...

BTW, are you suggesting we sign Manning before this May time period that you mentioned ?? Before we know he is even healthy enough to still be an NFL QB ?? Or are you suggesting we wait on him to get healthy and go about things assuming we'll get him whenever that time period is that he's healthy ?? Recipe for disaster...would make the 2010 offseason look like the best of all times...

I can't don't see us as quite as ready as you do...I don't see that Manning is the right way to go, until we actually see him and even then, he may not be what we are used to seeing from Manning.... Too much risk for my blood...

17. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    you've got it Larry, I don't see it that way & that's what makes a good thread & horse race, differing opinions.

if you would provide a probable starting defensive line-up (3-4 & 4-3) for 2012,
    it would be easier to analyze & understand why you think we are in such disrepair on the other side of the ball.

personally, I don't see it. it looks good to me. there is a major difference between a need & a possible upgrade.
    our defense did well last year considering the season & outside of a possible addition that can play both DE & DT
    I simply don't see many needs, other than to re-sign some players. we are no longer rebuilding. the die is cast.

the grass is not always greener on the other side, sometimes the solution lies in gardening. coach 'em up!

18. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Just adding Manning makes any team a SB contender, the other guys are whatever. Peyton will win and dominate with anyone.

I wouldn't add Saturday or Wayne to be honest. Only Colts FA i'd consider is Garcon because he still at or reaching his prime. Plus can be had at a bargain compared to his declining teammate Wayne.

the 23rd likes this.
  19. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    basically, I agree with Snowman

that is the premise of the thread
    having said that, if not Saturday, I would draft Peter Konz @ Center
    this would allow Pouncey to move to the pulling guard,
    a minor tweak that would make a major difference in my book

Manning is the imperative in the scheme

Manning/Tannehill in 2012:dolphin: resolve the issue!

20. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    I am not sure why you think Garcon would be a bargain. He just turned down a five year contract offer from the Colts and I would have have to assume he did so because he is looking for a HUGE contract in free agency. Wayne is nearing the end of his career and I think the Dolphins, if interested in him, could get him for a lot less than it would cost for them to sign Garcon.

21. Desides

Desides Well-Known Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Pembroke Pines, FL
    On the contrary. If you sign Peyton Manning, then Ryan Tannehill becomes the perfect pick at #8. Suddenly you have your quarterback of the present and future. Also, Tannehill's lack of experience at QB makes him a perfect candidate for riding pine for at least one year.

smahtaz and the 23rd like this.
  22. jw3102

Sep 4, 2010
    Maui, Hawaii
    First of all I don't think Manning is going to sign with the Dolphins, but if he does, I just don't see the Dolphins wasting their first round pick on Tannehill. I don't think he will ever be more than a mediocre starter in the NFL and it would be a complete waste of a top pick to select him in the first round. I see him more as a third or fourth round type player in the NFL and he certainly would not resolve the long term issue at QB for the Dolphins.

There are only two college QB's in this draft who I see as future NFL quality starters, Luck and RG3. If the Dolphins don't trade up to get one of these QB's and they don't sign Manning or Flynn, the Dolphins will still be looking for their QB of the future when the 2013 draft rolls around next year.

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    2012 is the year of the Franchise QB for Miami

don't think they are even considering moving up to snatch RG3, but I would support the move to resolve the issue
    don't believe Flynn was ever legitimately in the mix & shouldn't be, he is not the the proven bull @ any level
    having said that
    look for Manning/Tannehill to end the QB dilemma in Miami
    with Manning we have an immediate run on the Superbowl; with Tannehill we have the Franchise secured for the future

we will know soon enough, but this is my strongly held opinion

Manning/Tannehill @ 8 :up:

24. mommabilly

mommabilly No riders allowed

May 3, 2010
    Personally, I like this Manning/Tannerhill combo. This tannerhill kid is not half bad, IMO. Under the new CBA with the rookie wage scale, heck, its a no brainer.

There is BoooooKoooooooooooooo Oline in FA this year. With exception of a very select few, the price for a FA Olineman is not going to be high at all this year.

25. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    each day we move forward in the process this offensive line-up appears to be more & more possible
    SuperBowl 2012:dolphin: