1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Personal Take on Draft Expectation

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Galant, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    [​IMG]

Just saw that image on a Twitter post. I like it, because, although I have my preferred QB's for the draft, and some that will give me pause for thought if selected, my attitude towards this draft has become wait and see and trust in Flores and Grier.

A skeptical mind might not use the word 'trust' and just say, "wait and see", but honestly, I'm feeling positive about Flores at this point, and hopeful that Grier can get this done.

Ultimately, if the Dolphins are actually at the start of new success it'll be those two men who are chiefly responsible - and if not, the same - and what I really, really want to see is success, and don't care how it comes. So if Herbert (who I'm not high on) is picked and goes on to be legit, I'll be happy. If the other selections are made and work out, I'll be happy. I just want to see growth and success.

So my approach has grown into spectator mode. I'm watching, trying to form my own opinions, see and learn, but ultimately, I hopeful about the future results and looking forward to what comes. Whatever happens this draft season, I'm going to reserve judgement, and see what happens.

It's a nice place to be.

RoninFin4, Irishman, jegol71 and 3 others like this.
  2. AGuyNamedAlex

AGuyNamedAlex Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2015
    I personally dont have any faith in Flores myself. I think a great QB could save him and give him success like most average coaches.

That said, we cant control any moves so wait and see is all we can do.

Irishman likes this.
  3. Phin McCool

Phin McCool Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2017
    United Kingdom
    Bomb for Fromm
    Lose for Love
    Hurt for Jaylen
    Dung for Young
    Last Place for Chase
    Sherbert for Herbert

Ok, I know the last one doesn't make sense but there again, neither does drafting Jaylen Hurts either.

Irishman, Mexphin and #1 fan like this.
  4. KeyFin

KeyFin Well-Known Member

Nov 1, 2009
    I'd go with- Eat Dirt for Herbert

...and I like Jalen Hurts as a development prospect.

Mexphin and Tin Indian like this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Screwy For Hewey

6. mlb1399

mlb1399 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2010
    I really like what I’ve seen from Flores. He’s got these guys playing above their talent level. Unfortunately, we’re just undermanned in almost every game.

For me, the jury is still out on Grier. I don’t have a ton of confidence in him.

Having said that, I’ve got 3 choices: 1) be optimistic, 2) be pessimistic, 3) not care.

I’m choosing 1. I understand why people choose the other options but I’d rather err in the side of hope.

Irishman, Mexphin, Tin Indian and 2 others like this.
  7. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I have faith in Grier because he hired Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie.

Irishman and Fin D like this.
  8. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    Well that settles it. Miami should fire Flores and every other coach and just draft a quarterback. We can go back to the good old days and have a player coach

Irishman, jegol71, Mexphin and 4 others like this.
  9. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Not sure how you took any of that from what I said. I can recommend some good reading comprehension courses if youd like though.

A lot of average coaches have their tenures extended by above average QB.

That doesnt mean a QB is winning a title without a coach nor does it imply it. You seem to take peoples small comments and fly off the handle with bad logic.

Irishman likes this.
  10. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Flores is gonna get another year or two to get it right in Miami.

I think the real question mark is Chris Grier.. should we trust this guy with all the cap space and draft picks.. or should Ross send a brinks truck to Ozzie Newsome..

11. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Given his track record of success, Ross needs to offer Ozzie big money and allow him to hire and fire as he feels is needed.

12. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    I have 0% faith in Grier. Passing on Lamar Jackson is unforgivable. I've been saying it since we passed on him. I probably sound like a broken record, but I don't care. I'm highly annoyed at the stupidity of this front office.

Tin Indian and jdallen1222 like this.
  13. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Gase would have ruined Jackson. Tried to make him a quick throw quarterback

14. phinswolverinesrockets

phinswolverinesrockets If he dies, he dies

Oct 31, 2013
    Houston
    Gase would have been too dumb to even play him. He would have stuck with Tannehill and still gotten fired most likely. John Harbaugh was 4-6 last year and was on his way to getting fired before Lamar took over. We could have hired Harbaugh and given him Lamar.

djphinfan likes this.
  15. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    He probably would have gotten one more year with the drafting of Lamar.

16. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I still dont see Lamar having long term success so I think it's an irrelevant discussion honestly.

Mexphin likes this.
  17. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Burrow under for Burrows!

But for real, I don't have any reason to have faith in Flores developing a QB, mainly because he really hasn't had to do so. I think we have no choice but to have faith in Grier's ability to pick a QB who has both high end raw talent, but also the ability to fit the scheme that Flores' offensive staff wants to run and have in place.

18. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    What is that scheme btw?

I'm asking legitimately as maybe someone has picked up on something I havent, but it doesnt seem like we have much identity on offense. Even an attempted identity.

19. BevoPhin

BevoPhin Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2013
    Grier has given us no reason to trust him with all of these draft picks. He’s doing a fine job accumulating picks, but I don’t want him picking the players.

Lamar looks good and I wish we had him now, but I said the same thing about RG3 early in his career.

20. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Couldn't tell you - it's more about what they want to run. At this point, the offense is so talent bereft its meaningless. Rumor was they are targetting QBs who are mobile (Tua/Love) over more fully pocket oriented guys like Burrow. But who really knows.

21. Galant

Galant Love - Unity - Sacrifice - Eternity

Apr 22, 2014
    With regards to Grier I'm willing to give him a season, maybe two. It's only his first season as GM with the freedom to do whatever he wants along with Flores. So let's see how it goes.

Surfs Up 99 likes this.
  22. Deus ex dolphin

Deus ex dolphin Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2007
    The offense runs through Ballage. Not the best plan, to be honest. :no:

Tin Indian likes this.
  23. jdallen1222

jdallen1222 Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Plantation, Fl

Wait until Walton comes back from suspension.

24. TheHighExhaulted

TheHighExhaulted Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2008
    9 rushes for 9 yards and 5 catches for 8 yards has to be a record bad output for that many touches.

Tin Indian likes this.
  25. Patster1969

Patster1969 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 8, 2017
    26 other teams also passed on him

resnor likes this.
  26. Surfs Up 99

Surfs Up 99 Team Flores & Team Tua

May 5, 2016
    Sometimes the ball doesn't bounce our way, so I am not saying we won't draft a QB this year, but depending on who we get, we may be looking for another QB in 2021 and beyond. As long as Grier/Flores recognize it, I will be ok. I don't mind developing a guy, but I don't want to stick with a guy forever if we have a chance to upgrade.

27. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    My reading comprehension is just fine. Its your analysis of football that's lacking. Did it ever occur to you that quarterbacks become above average due to coaching?

Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers, Peyton Manning, Drew Brees, Phillip Rivers...ALL would have failed in Miami. We as Dolphins fans would be talking about those quarterbacks as we talk about Tannehill, Henne et al if any of those quarterbacks had been in Miami and not the teams they were fortunate enough to be drafted.

This is where you fail in your analysis of football. Players are merely live human chess pieces in a game being played by coaches. Coaches call the plays, players execute those plays.

28. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Again, you're making arguments and assumptions about what I think that arent based off of anything I wrote.

I dont even feel the need to argue any of this because it has nothing to do with what I said in the first place nor is my opinion what you think it is.

However, I dont feel the need to clarify my opinion because it's fairly obvious you dont read what other people write anyway...you just react to things they didnt say.

Also, if you think Peyton Manning fails anywhere he goes that's hilarious. I'm not debating the fact that many players need development, but that one is actually pretty funny.

Hes actually the perfect example of a QB extending the career of an extremely mediocre coach in Dungy.

29. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    I like what I see from Flores. He looks to me like we finally have found a coach worth his salt. And Flores developing a QB and how he will do with it is irrelevant because he WON'T be the one doing it. That is the job for the offensive staff they are the ones who will be tasked with that.

This team is already among the least penalized in the league where under Gase I know we weren't anywhere near that. He has managed to take a bunch of castoffs and nobody's and until the last game they have shown improvement every single week. I like his demeanor on the sideline. I like that he doesn't go huddle by himself with his face in a clipboard while the game is going on.

I don't know if he is going to ultimately be the answer as HC but I like what I see so far.

resnor likes this.
  30. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    I agree with everything you said here. Improved tackling, cut down on the penalties, be a little unpredictable. All things that we didn't do well for years.

resnor likes this.
  31. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    I dont think we have really been unpredictable at all. We are basically the definition of a bland team with no identity.

32. The_Dark_Knight

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    You bring up Peyton Manning. Good! His first season, the Colts finished with the same dismal record as their previous season, 3-13. The 1999 and 2000 seasons, would you like to know WHY Manning was so successful? Edgerrin James! Because that workforce accumulated so many yards in the ground, Manning was able to effectively execute play action pass and made defenses look dumb and confused. The 2001 season when James was out for the season after 6 games, the Colts went 6-10 on the year.

As great as Manning was, he’ll be the first to tell you how important an effective running game is, otherwise he wouldn’t have studied Steve DeBerg as closely as he did

33. Finatik

Finatik Season Ticket Holder Staff Member Club Member

May 2, 2014
    SO Cal
    We've tried fake punts, fake field goals and our defense is playing a style that's hard to decipher for the QB. Considering it was said that this team was going to be the worst team ever assembled, someone has to be doing something right (read coaching). Considering everything out of you is over the top negative I'll take that as a positive since you didn't blow up the 1st two.

34. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    Less penalties is a fact I wouldnt debate that. I've said before I dont consider that odd though, backups who are fighting for their NFL careers tend to play more to the book and have a reason to make every snap count. Any mistake could pretty much get some of these guys cut and end their careers.

Tacking I honestly dont see an improvement or downgrade overall. The last couple games have been better.

Fake FGs and Punts arent an identity and arent sustainable though.

35. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    They went 3-13 because Manning was a rookie learning to play in the NFL. That in no way shows he wouldnt have succeeded with a different coach.

I've never said a running game isnt important. If anything I've maybe said a star HB isnt something to chase after because most of the yards you need in a run are generated by the line.

Also 2001 isnt even comparable to the NFL today so I'm not sure it matters either way.

36. cbrad

cbrad .

Dec 21, 2014
    I think all would have had success to different degrees in Miami, but IMO by far the most likely would have been Peyton Manning. That guy was an OC and QB all in one, and except for his rookie year and his final year (where he just didn't have it physically anymore) he was one of the best QB's in the NFL regardless of coach. He was great with Mora, Dungy, Caldwell and Fox, and went to the SB with 3 of them.

That's pretty good evidence it was the QB not the coach. Great QB's can make a HUGE difference, even on bad teams.

37. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Yeah it’s not and he’s not irrelevant..

The vision of Harbaugh to hire Greg Roman, the Progressive nature and talent to identify the talent in Lamar, and the staffs creativity and commitment to install a completely new system designed to take advantage of a true dual threat Qb was very smart, and long overdue..

Fin D likes this.
  38. Sceeto

Sceeto Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2008
    New York
    I was one of the first guys who kept saying that I wanted to draft Lamar Jackson early in the draft process.
    Wish they did. At least we would be having a s--t load more fun this year.

39. AGuyNamedAlex

Sep 12, 2015
    That only matters if you think its sustainable long term.

I see him as this years wildcat. Once good defenses figure out how to force him to pass, he is toast.

Playoffs will most likely expose him as well.

40. Hoops

Hoops Well-Known Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Trust in Chris Grier?

yeesh

whatever the safe route is I’m sure he’s gonna go it. Easier to pass the buck that way.