A Personal Take on Draft Expectation

54 replies

GalantGalantForum VeteranOP
Nov 18, 2019, 10:57 AM

Just saw that image on a Twitter post. I like it, because, although I have my preferred QB's for the draft, and some that will give me pause for thought if selected, my attitude towards this draft has become wait and see and trust in Flores and Grier.

A skeptical mind might not use the word 'trust' and just say, "wait and see", but honestly, I'm feeling positive about Flores at this point, and hopeful that Grier can get this done.

Ultimately, if the Dolphins are actually at the start of new success it'll be those two men who are chiefly responsible - and if not, the same - and what I really, really want to see is success, and don't care how it comes. So if Herbert (who I'm not high on) is picked and goes on to be legit, I'll be happy. If the other selections are made and work out, I'll be happy. I just want to see growth and success.

So my approach has grown into spectator mode. I'm watching, trying to form my own opinions, see and learn, but ultimately, I hopeful about the future results and looking forward to what comes. Whatever happens this draft season, I'm going to reserve judgement, and see what happens.

It's a nice place to be.


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 11:01 AM

I personally dont have any faith in Flores myself. I think a great QB could save him and give him success like most average coaches.

That said, we cant control any moves so wait and see is all we can do.

Phin McCoolPhin McCoolForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 11:10 AM

Bomb for Fromm
Lose for Love
Hurt for Jaylen
Dung for Young
Last Place for Chase
Sherbert for Herbert

Ok, I know the last one doesn't make sense but there again, neither does drafting Jaylen Hurts either.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

KeyFinKeyFinForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 11:12 AM

"Phin McCool wrote:

Bomb for Fromm
Lose for Love
Hurt for Jaylen
Dung for Young
Last Place for Chase
Sherbert for Herbert

Ok, I know the last one doesn't make sense but there again, neither does drafting Jaylen Hurts either.

I'd go with- Eat Dirt for Herbert

...and I like Jalen Hurts as a development prospect.

Winning football games at any level comes down to winning in the trenches.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 11:13 AM

"KeyFin wrote:

I'd go with- Eat Dirt for Herbert

...and I like Jalen Hurts as a development prospect.

Screwy For Hewey

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

mlb1399mlb1399Forum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 11:13 AM

I really like what I’ve seen from Flores. He’s got these guys playing above their talent level. Unfortunately, we’re just undermanned in almost every game.

For me, the jury is still out on Grier. I don’t have a ton of confidence in him.

Having said that, I’ve got 3 choices: 1) be optimistic, 2) be pessimistic, 3) not care.

I’m choosing 1. I understand why people choose the other options but I’d rather err in the side of hope.

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 11:18 AM

"mlb1399 wrote:

I really like what I’ve seen from Flores. He’s got these guys playing above their talent level. Unfortunately, we’re just undermanned in almost every game.

For me, the jury is still out on Grier. I don’t have a ton of confidence in him.

Having said that, I’ve got 3 choices: 1) be optimistic, 2) be pessimistic, 3) not give a s**t.

I’m choosing 1. I understand why people choose the other options but I’d rather err in the side of hope.

I have faith in Grier because he hired Marvin Allen and Reggie McKenzie.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

The_Dark_KnightThe_Dark_KnightForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 11:56 AM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

I personally dont have any faith in Flores myself. I think a great QB could save him and give him success like most average coaches.

That said, we cant control any moves so wait and see is all we can do.

Well that settles it. Miami should fire Flores and every other coach and just draft a quarterback. We can go back to the good old days and have a player coach

“The person you will spend the most time with in your life is yourself, so you better make sure you’re someone interesting”

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 12:21 PM

"The_Dark_Knight wrote:

Well that settles it. Miami should fire Flores and every other coach and just draft a quarterback. We can go back to the good old days and have a player coach

Not sure how you took any of that from what I said. I can recommend some good reading comprehension courses if youd like though.

A lot of average coaches have their tenures extended by above average QB.

That doesnt mean a QB is winning a title without a coach nor does it imply it. You seem to take peoples small comments and fly off the handle with bad logic.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 12:25 PM

Flores is gonna get another year or two to get it right in Miami.

I think the real question mark is Chris Grier.. should we trust this guy with all the cap space and draft picks.. or should Ross send a brinks truck to Ozzie Newsome..

Deus ex dolphinDeus ex dolphinForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 12:39 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Flores is gonna get another year or two to get it right in Miami.

I think the real question mark is Chris Grier.. should we trust this guy with all the cap space and draft picks.. or should Ross send a brinks truck to Ozzie Newsome..

Given his track record of success, Ross needs to offer Ozzie big money and allow him to hire and fire as he feels is needed.

A terrible play call, terribly executed.

Nov 18, 2019, 12:45 PM

I have 0% faith in Grier. Passing on Lamar Jackson is unforgivable. I've been saying it since we passed on him. I probably sound like a broken record, but I don't care. I'm highly annoyed at the stupidity of this front office.

PHINS WOLVERINES ROCKETS


DON'T MESS WITH US!

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 12:48 PM

"phinswolverinesrockets wrote:

I have 0% faith in Grier. Passing on Lamar Jackson is unforgivable. I've been saying it since we passed on him. I probably sound like a broken record, but I don't care. I'm highly annoyed at the stupidity of this front office.

Gase would have ruined Jackson. Tried to make him a quick throw quarterback

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

Nov 18, 2019, 12:52 PM

"Dol-Fan Dupree wrote:

Gase would have ruined Jackson. Tried to make him a quick throw quarterback

Gase would have been too dumb to even play him. He would have stuck with Tannehill and still gotten fired most likely. John Harbaugh was 4-6 last year and was on his way to getting fired before Lamar took over. We could have hired Harbaugh and given him Lamar.

PHINS WOLVERINES ROCKETS


DON'T MESS WITH US!

Dol-Fan DupreeDol-Fan DupreeForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 01:18 PM

"phinswolverinesrockets wrote:

Gase would have been too dumb to even play him. He would have stuck with Tannehill and still gotten fired most likely. John Harbaugh was 4-6 last year and was on his way to getting fired before Lamar took over. We could have hired Harbaugh and given him Lamar.

He probably would have gotten one more year with the drafting of Lamar.

Holland is a huge upgrade over McCain

I want to be alive, I am alive! Alive, I tell you! Mother, I love you, those are no longer just words. I want to hold you, I want to run in a stream, I want to taste ice cream but not just put it in my mouth and let it slide down my throat but really eat it. - Robot Morty

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 02:39 PM

I still dont see Lamar having long term success so I think it's an irrelevant discussion honestly.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 03:09 PM

Burrow under for Burrows!

But for real, I don't have any reason to have faith in Flores developing a QB, mainly because he really hasn't had to do so. I think we have no choice but to have faith in Grier's ability to pick a QB who has both high end raw talent, but also the ability to fit the scheme that Flores' offensive staff wants to run and have in place.

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 04:07 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Burrow under for Burrows!

But for real, I don't have any reason to have faith in Flores developing a QB, mainly because he really hasn't had to do so. I think we have no choice but to have faith in Grier's ability to pick a QB who has both high end raw talent, but also the ability to fit the scheme that Flores' offensive staff wants to run and have in place.

What is that scheme btw?

I'm asking legitimately as maybe someone has picked up on something I havent, but it doesnt seem like we have much identity on offense. Even an attempted identity.

BevoPhinBevoPhinForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 04:13 PM

"phinswolverinesrockets wrote:

I have 0% faith in Grier. Passing on Lamar Jackson is unforgivable. I've been saying it since we passed on him. I probably sound like a broken record, but I don't care. I'm highly annoyed at the stupidity of this front office.

Grier has given us no reason to trust him with all of these draft picks. He’s doing a fine job accumulating picks, but I don’t want him picking the players.

Lamar looks good and I wish we had him now, but I said the same thing about RG3 early in his career.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 05:21 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

What is that scheme btw?

I'm asking legitimately as maybe someone has picked up on something I havent, but it doesnt seem like we have much identity on offense. Even an attempted identity.

Couldn't tell you - it's more about what they want to run. At this point, the offense is so talent bereft its meaningless. Rumor was they are targetting QBs who are mobile (Tua/Love) over more fully pocket oriented guys like Burrow. But who really knows.

GalantGalantForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 05:30 PM

With regards to Grier I'm willing to give him a season, maybe two. It's only his first season as GM with the freedom to do whatever he wants along with Flores. So let's see how it goes.


"Although we are capable of great acts of kindness, history teaches us that we sometimes need saving from ourselves – from our recklessness or our greed. God sent into the world a unique person – neither a philosopher nor a general, important though they are, but a Saviour, with the power to forgive... It is my prayer that on this Christmas day we might all find room in our lives for the message of the angels and for the love of God through Christ our Lord." (Christmas message, 2011)

Deus ex dolphinDeus ex dolphinForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 05:30 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

What is that scheme btw?

I'm asking legitimately as maybe someone has picked up on something I havent, but it doesnt seem like we have much identity on offense. Even an attempted identity.

The offense runs through Ballage. Not the best plan, to be honest. :no:

A terrible play call, terribly executed.

jdallen1222jdallen1222Forum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 07:59 PM

"Deus ex dolphin wrote:

The offense runs through Ballage. Not the best plan, to be honest. :no:

Wait until Walton comes back from suspension.

🎃

TheHighExhaultedTheHighExhaultedForum Veteran
Nov 18, 2019, 08:14 PM

"Deus ex dolphin wrote:

The offense runs through Ballage. Not the best plan, to be honest. :no:

9 rushes for 9 yards and 5 catches for 8 yards has to be a record bad output for that many touches.

Patster1969Patster1969Supporter
Nov 19, 2019, 04:32 AM

"phinswolverinesrockets wrote:

I have 0% faith in Grier. Passing on Lamar Jackson is unforgivable. I've been saying it since we passed on him. I probably sound like a broken record, but I don't care. I'm highly annoyed at the stupidity of this front office.

26 other teams also passed on him