1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A look at Joe Philbin's experience

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by 2socks, Jan 6, 2014.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Flash back:

The Dolphins began their coaching search late in the 2011 regular season after they fired then-head coach Tony Sparano after nearly four years on the job. After getting turned down by Bill Cowher, Jon Gruden, and Jeff Fisher, the Fins started to look in the coordinator ranks in the NFL.

A first-round of interviews was conducted and the field was eventually narrowed down to two candidates: Green Bay Packers offensive coordinator Joe Philbin and Denver Broncos offensive coordinator Mike McCoy, with Philbin eventually winning the job.

“I want to thank Steve Ross and Jeff Ireland for giving me the opportunity to become the head coach of one of the premier franchises in professional sports,” said Philbin. “I also want to thank the Green Bay Packers for all the support the organization has given me during my time there. The Dolphins have a strong nucleus to build around, and working with everyone in the organization, I know that together we will return the team to its winning tradition. I have seen how much the fans in South Florida care about the Dolphins, and that passion is one reason why I’m really excited to be here. I’m looking forward to their support, and I can’t wait to get started.”

Philbin has been the offensive coordinator with the Green Bay Packers since 2007. Ever since Philbin took over, his offense has been ranked in the top 10 in points scored and total yards every season.

In four seasons at the helm of the Packers’ prolific offense, the team scored 1,703 points and committed just 83 turnovers. The turnovers ranked the Packers first in the NFC and second only to New England in the NFL during the four-year span.

Green Bay has reached the playoffs in three of Philbin’s four seasons as offensive coordinator. In each of those appearances, the Packers set team postseason records for most points in a game, with 42 vs. Seattle in ’07, 45 at Arizona in ’09, and 48 at Atlanta in ’10.

During the 2008-2009 season, the Packers, under Philbin’s tutelage, became the first team in NFL history to have a 4,000 yard passer; 1,200 yard rusher, and two 1,000 yard receivers in back to back season.

Philbin was blessed with good players thanks to general manager Ted Thompson’s stellar drafts year after year. That may not necessarily be the case in Miami, where general manager Jeff Ireland has managed to leave Fins fans longing for better drafts.

The only question surrounding Philbin was how much of the Packers’ success on offense was from him or from head coach Mike McCarthy. Philbin didn’t call his own plays in Green Bay, but he did develop and install the game plan each week.

The new Dolphins coach has never been a head coach in either the college ranks or in the National Football League, but has been in the NFL since 2003.

Joe Philbin has never personally called a single play in the NFL.....is he even qualified to choose the next OC

Fin-Omenal likes this.
  2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    You're grasping at straws. There is far more to being a head coach than calling plays. There is more to understanding thr game of football than calling plays.

For example Sherman didn't have poor play design. He simply failed to utilize his talent correctly. Is part of that on Philbin? Sure. Is most of it....no.

He's done a lot of good things in terms of the way practice os run, bringing new technology to the team etc. I'm not saying he is a great head coach or even that he will be the right man long term. I'm saying you're grasping at straws.

3. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I been reading your posts for years on here and I have always found them to be entertaining, informative and well thought out.

Sorry brother, on this one you are wrong.

Allowing Philbin to retain control of the ship after not one but 2 sub par seasons in a row is questionable. To allow him the chance to make the changes on his own that are needed on a go forward basis is just putting off the inevitable. It's the blind leading the blind.

This really is no different then rookie Qb's. The QB or "captain of the ship" has a very small chance of coming in and doing what say --- Andrew Luck has done. These QB's just like coaches come along 1 time in 10 or 15 years. Philbin is not that guy (15-17). He's had his chance. He needs guidance.....not unquestioned control

4. Brasfin

Brasfin Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2013
    Brazil
    First of all: I agree with what you're saying, I personally don't think Philbin has what it takes to be a succesful HC in this league.

That being said:
    Calm down dude...you copied one of your last posts in a brand new thread (which you made btw) and pasted it into a whole new thread? I see that you're angry that Philbin hasn't been fired, but let's be a little civilized here. :wink2:

5. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Does everyone read every thread?

Wasn't sure they did.

I'm calm brother. The other thread has one topic, this one's topic is Philbin's experience:up: