1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Jets Fan's Thoughts on the Henne Benching

Discussion in 'SoapBox - Rants forum' started by PS17, Nov 10, 2010.

1. PS17

PS17 NYJ 2010!!!

Jun 20, 2009
    NYC
    Let me preface this by saying I am speaking objectively here as an NFL fan, and not a biased Jets fan.

I'll be up front right away and say I strongly disagree with this move. It's a knee-jerk reaction from a coaching staff, whom I had a better opinion of yesterday. How can the Dolphins' staff sell out like this? What is the upside? Going 6-2 down the stretch and squeaking into the playoffs as a wildcard, only to get bounced early on? Really. When has Pennington risen to the occasion in a big playoff game? You saw Pennington's upside in 2008, and it's quite alarming. Beat the average (or worse) at best teams, and get crushed by strong defensive-minded teams. That is Chad Pennington in a nutshell.

Let me also say that I respect Chad for what he has done in his career. He never had the great physical tools, but always made the absolute most of them. And he's a stand-up guy. Never heard him say a bad word.

Now, let me give my thoughts on the other Chad, Mr. Henne. So he had a bad day against the Ravens, in Baltimore. Big ****ing deal. That is often the case with seasoned NFL veterans. Two weeks ago, he played well against an elite NFL team in Pittsburgh, which should have resulted in a win, if not for some horrible late officiating. He beat the Packers and Vikings on the road, two very good defenses. Chad Pennington would have folded like a cheap tent against Harrison, Polamalu, Woodley, and the Steelers defense, and you know it -- and I'm not sure he beats the two NFC North teams on the road either. He played an excellent game against the Jets, just falling short at the end. The guy is a second year starter. He's gonna have bumps and rough stretches, but he's also gonna show flashes. You don't give up on him midway through year 2.

Tony Sparano should be fired at the end of the season if the Dolphins fail to reach the playoffs. Because that is the only point of this move, right? Making the playoffs? If they don't, they have failed in every way possible.

So how does it help the future of the franchise? Young quarterbacks need to learn on the football field through trial and error, and that is what Henne has been doing so far. Ups and downs. I'll say this; the last 8 weeks of the season are going to be very interesting.

SCall13, icx, brandon27 and 9 others like this.
  2. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    i agree with everything 100%. and if we ARE trying to go to the playoffs now, and its a "all in" approach....why the **** didnt we get randy moss?!!?!??!

jetssuck likes this.
  3. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i agree and its why i feel our owner Ross is the impetus behind the switch. If he's making it clear he wants victories to put bodies in the seats, then the coaching staff has no alternative but to sacrifice the future for the now

smahtaz and SICK like this.
  4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I wonder if this is the end of Henne vs. Sanchez?

5. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    atleast henne won the "least gay" portion of the competition

6. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    I was always on board with firing Dan Henning...not so much with Sparano. But after this boneheaded move I am %100 on the fire Sparano bandwagon :tantrum:

7. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    I agree with everything you just said.

8. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    IF the Jests still had Pennington at QB, they would INSTANTLY be a much better team. Probably the best in the league.

9. Layfield

Layfield New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    IF he managed to stay healthy they might be