1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Glance into NFL's Offer for Rookie Wage Scale

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by DOLBET, Dec 31, 2010.

1. DOLBET

DOLBET Active Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Packers CEO Mark Murphy recently made the case for a rookie wage scale in a Washington Post op-ed item, outlining the league’s offer regarding the No. 1 overall selection. “Under the proposal, the first pick in the draft would sign a five-year contract and receive a $5.34 million signing bonus and $1.5 million salary his rookie year, even if he does not play a single down,” Murphy wrote. “In years two and three, his salary would be set at $1.7 million and $1.9 million, respectively. His fourth- and fifth-year salaries would rise to $2.3 million and $2.9 million for a total package of $15.6 million. (If he is a quarterback, he would be paid $4.3 million in year six.) The first pick would still be paid well, but at a much more reasonable level than under the current system.”

It sounds like very good money to the average person, but the contract given to Rams quarterback Sam Bradford, the top pick in 2010, is worth $78 million over six years, with $50 million guaranteed. Sure, there’s some fluff in the guaranteed money, but Bradford’s truly guaranteed money at the time he signed the deal was $24 million. In contrast, under the league’s proposal, a quarterback taken with the first pick would receive a total package of $19.9 million, with only $5.34 million truly guaranteed.

Link : http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ld-prompt-more-underclassmen-to-leave-school/

The first pick will be getting 15.6 million in five years, 19.9 million for six years if quarterback. That is big big reduce from last year contract..... It is even less than I expect.

I think it have big chance of passing without some adjusting because veterans want more money to them....

Exciting times ahead.....

2. emocomputerjock

emocomputerjock Senior Member

Nov 23, 2007
    DC
    I think that's a bit low, but its a starting point.

3. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Holy cow. If that goes through, that's going to have some potential draft picks scared sh-tless and declaring early.

4. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    BTW that's the equivalent money of what this year's #20 pick would get paid, in case anyone's trying to match it up in their head.

rafael likes this.
  5. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    The contract is too long. The Players Association shouldn't accept any contract longer than 4 years.

6. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think the owner's goal is simply to remove the excess burden of those top 5 or so picks. They probably want it to end up about what the 15th or 16th pick gets. I'm sure they put all those extra years and chose about what the 20th pick gets so they have a way give something up. I expect the players association to come back with something around what the 10th player gets and 3 years. They'll settle around the typical 15th pick and 4 years.