1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A General Question....

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Silverphin, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's been something I always wanted to know. Have there ever been a case, where a referee has been fined, suspended, or even fired for doing a bad job? I was just wanted to know, because I never heard of a ref receiving punishment for doing so.

2. Phinvader Bill

Phinvader Bill The all new Mr. Event

May 1, 2009
    Columbia, SC
    I swear if I did as bad of a job at my job as these refs have done particularly against us, I would be fired...and so would anyone else.

3. 2k5

2k5 I miss Ted Ginn Jr.

Nov 28, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    That NBA ref, but there was extenuating circumstances. :lol: That's a good question though.

4. Bizarro Marino

Bizarro Marino New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    They're bought, maybe the Commissioner is in on it. Who knows. It's funny how they make certain bad calls knowing replay won't overrule them.

5. byroan

byroan Giggity Staff Member Administrator Luxury Box

Nov 25, 2007
    NC
    Silverphin likes this.
  6. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    Interesting.... has their been a more recent example?

7. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    I believe Mike Perira excuse spelling the head of NFL Officiating reviews the games every week, and they talk to the ref's about that good job or bad job. They also use this process to get the best crew for the super bowl depending hos they did through the season.

8. Bizarro Marino

Bizarro Marino New Member

Dec 27, 2009
    What was the line on today's game? I don't think anything was worse than the last call made last week that gave the Titans FG position. Meh.

9. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    We're not going to get a good Super Bowl this year, are we?

Firesole and Fin Fan In Cali like this.
  10. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I only seen 7 points taken away this week from a bad call.

Well maybe a turnover mid field to but that should"nt be a big deal.

11. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

If refs do a bad job, like FFIC said, they get performance reviews and it has an effect on their post season officiating careers.

Fin Fan In Cali likes this.
  12. Silverphin

Nov 25, 2007
    It kind of sounds like an unfair trade. Ref blows a call, and all that ref has to worry about if he'll get to ref a post-season game while that suffers the call have to worry about the game, their chances of being in a post-season, playoff placement, etc.

13. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Jay Leno once said that he pined to be a referee when he was younger, but his 20-20 vision proved to be an encumbrance. Like most of Leno’s subtle humor, there is a level of truth to the joke.

14. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I don't believe they are fined, but the profession is performance-based, on all levels.

15. Firesole

Firesole Season Ticket Holder

Mar 24, 2008
    or worse, a coach gets fired because he loses too many close games affected by said bad calls.

For the record I think it's ridiculous that the refs can blow the whistle on that fumble today, but earlier in the season the Redskins got jobbed on a play where they fumbled, the whistle was blown, and the Saints players fought and recovered the ball well after the whistle blew...and somehow the Saints were awarded the ball. NBC had a really good piece on FNIA last week about playing to the whistle, and now playing through the whistle.

The inconsistencies these refs make during a season are maddening.
    Posted via Mobile Device