1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A different Henne post-benching

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by hugoguzman, Nov 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Not only is he throwing downfield more often, but he all of a sudden has the ability to put touch on his throws (like on the Cobbs TD and the nice downfield completion to Bess in the second half).

He's still good for at least one really boneheaded pass that leads to a painful INT, but his post-benching play has been impressive.

How impressive?

2 wins
    0 losses
    36 of 58 (62% completion percentage)
    547 yards
    3 TDs
    2 INTs
    95.9 passer rating

(in just under 7 quarters of play)

Does that mean that he's earned the right to be the unquestioned starter in 2011? No way.

But if he can continue to produce on a consistent basis down the stretch (and lead the team to some more big wins to end the season 9-7 or better) then perhaps he does deserve to be the guy in 2011.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [video=youtube;9O4ZBazvA9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O4ZBazvA9U[/video]

[video=youtube;LqjbwA8JDW4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqjbwA8JDW4&feature=related[/video]

Henne got that Eye of the tiger back, injured knee, no ersatz #1 Wr he was pumping that ball downfield.

That aggressivesness is soo hard to put into a young Qb...but that benching maybe is the best thing Chad Henne has went through.

HULKFish, Da 'Fins and hugoguzman like this.
  3. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    I told you guys Henne Powers vowed never to lose another game...

hugoguzman likes this.
  4. hugoguzman

hugoguzman New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    He played as if he spent the benching week drinking Brawndo with Rocky Balboa.

He's a different quarterback when he let's it loose downfield.

And where'd all that touch come from?

HULKFish likes this.
  5. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Good day for the development of Henne.... Work in progress

DolfanTom and hugoguzman like this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Its the power of the beard.

fins4o8 and hugoguzman like this.
  7. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, Hugo G, dissecting a young Qb's every throw is insane, however it is what happens.

Dude is pushing it, maybe not exactly correct on his timing though.

BTW...I LOVE the THIGGYCAT!!!!!!!

He is expendable, he can make plays, he can throw passes, this is good.

8. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    I thought the Thigpen time was a giant hiccup. A draw.... come on now

Phinperor likes this.
  9. adamprez2003

adamprez2003 Senior Member

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    that benching was the best thing to happen to henne. it lit a fire under his ***. props to sparano or henning or both for making the decision. he's been a new QB ever since. Still has a ways to go but is becoming more aggressive. That sideline pass to Moore is one he wouldnt even have attempted four weeks ago.

10. NJFINSFAN1

NJFINSFAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 24, 2007
    Northwest New Jersey
    I think its the same Henne, its a shame the coaching staff tries to hold him back.

The Wildthig thing was pure stupidity, and they went very conservative in the second half.

The only two things I saw different was after the Ricky run he was patting all the O-line's backs and telling them good job, and he was smiling.

And after the first TD pass to Cobb, you saw Long go up to him and say something and Henne Smile (I'm sure it was you show them hoss!)

GMJohnson, djphinfan and Phinperor like this.
  11. Samphin

Samphin Κακό σκυλί ψόφο δεν έχει

You like Thigpen, period. That whole Thigpen as QB phase of the game was an abomination. He gets 8 yards on a QB draw on 3rd and 12 when the Raiders are playing a bend don't break defense. He then comes in on the next series and once again earns us negative yardage by pitching the ball WAY to quickly on the option and essentially making the read for the defense.

So our actual QB has to come in and play from behind, is forced to use another timeout because the players are confused as all get out as to who is supposed to be in and out. And for what? All because Sparano/Henning want to tinker and play with every toy in the toychest. That whole series cost us points and wasted our best punt return of the season.

The quicker Thigpen stays on the bench, the better. Unless you are going to use him on the field at the same time as Henne and give an aerial "who has it?" situation with QB's like we have with the Wildcat, then count me out when it comes to Henne being subbed out for Thigpen.

icx, evz, SeanP and 13 others like this.
  12. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    This :up:

13. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    every single play doesnt have to gain yards. sometimes you introduce something new to see how it does. the thigpen package wasnt about production per se it was about unveiling a new possibility. its just another package defensive coordinators now have to worry about

unluckyluciano likes this.
  14. Phinperor

Phinperor formerly In_Flames Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    VA
    I couldn't give this a 'THANKS' twice, so I just wanted to give you a :hi5: for good measure...

15. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    Unless they are trying to work in a passing option into the WC I found it pointless honestly.

16. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    i think they are going to look at the film see how the defense reacted in those situations and create plays for next week based off those reactions. in a 60 minute game you can take five or six plays to experiment. it helps you going forward. i would expect at least one thigpen pass out of that formation next week

17. Samphin

If it is in the game, it should be to gain yards. If not, then we have a MAJOR problem with our coaching staff. Even if they are trying to see a ne wpackage, you can't continue to go to a player who keeps providing negative yardage like Thigpen has proven. The guy is 1-12 as an NFL starter and is responsible for one of the worst offensive outputs in Miami history as the starting QB a week ago. He then comes in and pretty much stares down the running back on the option?

I would rather have Henne with the ball in his hands on that play.

texanphinatic likes this.
  18. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Sammie you are the dude who forecast a whipping at the hand of the Raiders..

[video=youtube;f2_s5X3kAec]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2_s5X3kAec[/video]

19. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    not necessarily. in a game you can afford a few plays to experiment. Parcells used to do it all the time when he was a coach. what you want to see is how the defense reacts and what you need to improve. if you do it at the correct time it wont hurt you but it will benfit you in the upcoming weeks

20. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    [video=youtube;lK9tT-734dw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lK9tT-734dw&feature=related[/video]

Sammie, leadership 101 requires:

Everyone buy in

Gosh, since We scored 33 points without #19..which was completely predictable, perhaps Sparano is realizing that his GM, VP, and Free Agents are not what he thought they would be and has now grasped:

All Hands on Deck?

21. Tin Indian

Tin Indian Rockin' The Bottom End Club Member

Feb 10, 2010
    Palm Bay Florida
    Credit where credit is due, Henne had a great game today. Perhaps it was his best looking performance this year.

22. Coral Reefer

Coral Reefer Premium Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Back in Miami
    Agreed completely.

This idea that the benching all of a sudden made Henne realize he could be aggressive and throw mid to deep balls is absurd. He's been shackled conceptually and held back by boneheaded game plans.

Not saying he'd be perfect but all the signs we've been talking about pointing to game plan and play call problems are very real and had an impact on Henne. Maybe, just maybe the staff woke up today. It certainly seemed like a much more balanced and aggressive game plan to me.

GMJohnson likes this.
  23. Samphin

Actually, those words never were typed or came out of my mouth, but continue to either flat out lie, or have revisionist history. What I said was that the Raiders had more talent than people were giving them credit for and that it was going to be a bigger test than everyone realized. I think their defensive line showed that they have talent, Rolando McClain shut you right the hell up with his red zone pick about him being awful and Oakland's rookie wide out almost won the game for them single handedly.

Oakland is a team on the mend and I was happy to beat them as we did. We probably should have and could have scored more points, but you won't hear me complain about Henne or the o-line or any of the talent today. I WILL, however, continue to quesiton Sparano and company as it is becoming more and more clear that they have no idea how to run a tight ship when it comes to playcalling, substitutions and knowing when to ride a hot hand.

Had this been the Chiefs instead of the Raiders, we would have been in MUCH more of a dogfight, or even outright losing.

24. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Lying convincingly is a talent, one that I shall never waist on such a conversation.

You pretty much did Sammie, not sure where, not worth the time to search for, however one did seem convinced that was going to happen.

The deal with the Sparahofins is, they really do prepare every player as if they were starters./

25. Samphin

All hands on deck? Sure, but it doesn't mean we don't have a stow away in Thigpen. An imposter, if you will. Sometimes, part of being a good coach is knowing who and what NOT to play. Henne was doing just fine handling the QB position all by his lonesome today. There wa sno need to bring Thigpen in other than to tinker for the sake of tinkering...and it hurt us...again.

As I said earlier, unless they are going to work on a package where both Thigpen AND Henne are on the field at the same time, I see that ******ed "Wildthig" package to be counterproductive. What good does the throwing option do for us if the guy in charge of throwing it can't, you know...throw it too tell? You might as well let Marshall or Ronnie Brown chuck it at that point.

texanphinatic likes this.
  26. Samphin

Oh so I went from absolutely predicting a Raiders win to "pretty much?" Yet you can't remember where or when I said it and can't be bothered to back up your claim with any type of research or facts. How convenient. Again, I will repeat it one more time in hopes that you will actually comprehend what was said. I said that the Raiders were being underestimated by the fanbase and wa shopeful that the team wasn't doing the same thing since the Raiders had more talent across the board than anyone was bothering to look at. But why be bothered with facts when your own reality fits your agenda SOOOOO much better?

And that may be the case for Sparano and company, but it doesn't mean all the players are prepared to start...or SHOULD start, just for the hell of it. This isn't tee-ball, not everyone has to play and not everyone gets an accolade to make sure no one is left out.

Chad Henne is better and has proven it on the field. He gives the Miami Dolphins a much better chance of winning than Tyler Thigpen does. When Tyler Thigpen is the quarterback, Miami's offensive output is less than even its own abysmal season long atrocity. These are facts.

27. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    If my memory seems faulty I can assure you that is due to wearing my dagger at my side, rather than letting it post for me.

28. Disgustipate

Disgustipate Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    It's absolutely baffling for us to have the information that we have, to observe the things that we've observed, and come to the conclusion it's the coaching staff that has suddenly changed things rather than Chad Henne. Dan Henning didn't get benched. Dan Henning didn't get reprimanded, there was no action that betrayed any lack of confidence in Henning. Unless something happened and somehow magically didn't leak, Dan Henning isn't under any scrutiny by anyone whose opinion matters.

I don't see how anyone can look at the play calling and suspect anything has actually changed. The same standby plays are clearly being called. The tendencies were exactly the same today as they have been all year. Everyone watched them run the same toss sweep play that goes to the side Fasano motions from a dozen times, or run the Wildcat multiple downs in a row. You can't even claim they were different in the Tennesse game, because it was the same damn general gameplan as they used vs. the Ravens in both games in 2008.

Chad Henne pulled his head out of his ***, and for the most part is making better decisions. We didn't have "chunk yardage" because the playbook got radically opened up. We got chunk yardage because Chad Henne made a good read and hit Patrick Cobbs after blowing by a linebacker. We got chunk yardage because Chad Henne hit Brian Hartline and Davone Bess repeatedly in stride on intermediate routes. We got chunk yardage because Marlon Moore didn't get tackled. Those are the same damn plays that have been here since 2008.

29. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    What was even remotely close to balanced about that game? Certainly not the run/pass ratio, which was skewed in a completely different direction than it has been the entire season. Certainly not the play selection, because hardly any of the passes thrown today could be characterized as "deep".

30. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    I noticed touch on two fairly long passes today it was sweet.

31. SICK

SICK Lounge Moderator

Nov 29, 2007
    Charlotte NC
    Padre, I predicted the Oakland loss in my Tuesday night show chat room. Someone else said "no way, we will win" Sam then said "the raiders are better than given credit for"

Thats it. I am the one who predicted a loss (and am now "manning up")

But to throw Sam under the bus.........bad move padre.

32. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    inanimate objects can't post dude.

33. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    but you've been posting for years :wink2:

34. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I agree with that Dpate, and have said that the benching was warranted...Ive also said iam ready to move on from henning..there was a hell of a lot of conservatism out there today and it had nothing to do with the QB..would you agree with that?, and in your opinion, are you ready for a new cordinator next year?..

One thing I would like to mention, before the season started some of us were joking around with how much Coach was using the word ''efficiency''...Iam not sure ive seen any game where i could actually say that word when it comes to our offense, especially when were dominating in time of possesion, and still in close games...but, iam thinking your thinking that mostly falls on the QB as well?

35. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    the main thing i want to change with our offense is the interior offensive line. Kelly was destroying us inside today. A nice guard like Stephen Schilling or a tackle like Demarcus Love who we move insde for his rookie debut would do more for our offense than getting a new coordinator.

djphinfan likes this.
  36. Disgustipate

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't think Dan Henning should be fired.

Ultimately, Tony Sparano is going to be under pressure to do so, and there potential offensive coordinator prospects I like better available. If Henning being scapegoated means it's less like Sparano gets ****-canned unreasonably and that we end up with a Gary Kubiak or someone like that, I'm fine with Dan Henning being asked to fall on his sword.

djphinfan and adamprez2003 like this.
  37. adamprez2003

Nov 27, 2007
    new york ciity
    If we fix our offensive line I definitely dont want to switch coordinators. Henning is deadly when he has a running game to work with. That's been the main culprit for our dismal showing this year. You simply cant score alot when you have a mediocre run game and a QB who cant make up for it. Hopefully next year we get two run maulers and Henne improves. If that happens I would rather go with a coordinator that took a team to two championship games this decade then turn the reigns over to some novice which is the likelihood if Henning retires

38. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I would like McDaniels more than Henning if he were available.

39. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Having McDaniels as OC with BM is like having time bomb waiting to go off.

40. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Its alright to tinker with the offense occasionally but it can also be a bad thing for a quarterbacks rhythm and the flow of the game.
    Henne played a very good game even with the int and a bum leg. Maybe the Dolphins turned the corner today.