1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Close Friend and Addiction

Discussion in 'Outreach Forum' started by Aqua4Ever04, Jul 11, 2019 at 8:46 PM.

1. Aqua4Ever04

Aqua4Ever04 Write Travis Write Club Member

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    It's been a minute since I've posted in this forum, but I was hoping to get some answers from folks with experience.

My lifelong best friend, inseparable for YEEEEARS, has become more and more distant. I stayed at his house twice a week when I was in school about an hour from my house now, and the signs were mounting. Unkempt house, missing work because of cocaine hangovers. He started doing it recreationally a few years ago and now it's an every weekend thing, and spilling over into weekdays even.

I didn't care about it first -- live and let live, ya know? But then it started impacting me. We'd have plans and he'd bail last minute, leaving me lurch. He's not even close to the same person any more. We used to hang out, play old-school video games, just have a howling good time. Now I can't even get him to laugh any more. He's always wiping at his nose, blowing out massive amounts of snot form the night before.

I somewhat cut ties from communication a few weeks ago because he had not shown up again for another "play date" so to speak. So I decided enough was enough. Now, 2 months have passed, and we only see each other or speak during our Wednesday night softball league.

He avoids me during these meet ups. Things were always cordial, but today I send him a text reaching out asking if he needs anything, and he's ghosting me.

I'm concerned, man. I feel like the next time I see him, it's going to be reading about his overdose.

The reason I'm asking for help is because I have no idea where to go from here. I don't want to completely walk away and then find out that he's harmed himself. But I also don't want to be persistent about it.

Unlucky 13 likes this.
  2. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

I'm not sure if you are asking for help for him or for yourself?

If the question is for him then it has to be in the form of an intervention with as many of his loved ones and close friends as possible to get him into rehab and help him succeed. He will be dead within a short time if you don't. It is that simple. Anything else is simply a band aid which will enable him to live, miserably, for a short time longer.

If the question is about yourself, then you need to recognize, he has made the decision to die for himself and you will have to live with it. The drug is now his closest relative, closest friend, most important relationship. EVERYTHING else, including you, are all secondary at best to his lover, cocaine! In essence, you have been dumped for a new best friend.

I had to walk away from a best friend of 20+ years because of his alcohol addiction. One of the hardest things I ever did. But you are either an enabler or you are on the outside.

I wish you luck. Neither set of choices are good but keep in mind, he made them.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  3. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Rosen Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    Aqua, I don't have any advice for your friend. That's way out of my league. I totally understand your desire to help though.

For you though, my advice is that you need to do what you can, but also know when you can't help anymore and let go. I've had several people in my life who I was once very close to, who changed dramatically in their 20s, and began to first drink heavily and smoke pot, like a lot of people do, but then later moved onto harder things that I didn't even want to really know the details of. I tried to help, I tried to be there for them and do whatever I could, and they both just pushed me away.

They felt that I didn't understand them any more, which was true, though not in the same sense that they were thinking of. After a while, I gradually lost contact with both of them (different friends, in different cities, a few years apart). And if they are that determined that this is going to be their fate, then all you can do is take care of yourself and not let yourself be dragged down along with them, unfortunately.

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  4. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I really appreciate those replies, guys. It’s been a slippery slope for a while and I think the breaking point was that he wasn’t allowed to smoke weed any more because of drug testing at work (that stays in the system A LOT longer than harder drugs) so now he’s just doing the white stuff daily.

It’s so weird. We played little league ball together, grew to 30 together, and now we’re going completely different directions. I know this happens, but it’s still tough to deal with.

Ohiophinphan and Unlucky 13 like this.
  5. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Raccoon City
    In the late 80's I had a girlfriend who had a cocaine problem. In and out of rehab, arrested, the whole nine yards. I tried so hard and gave her so many chances till I finally had to cut her loose. She was dead in a year. I still visit her grave every few years. She was so beautiful, black hair, olive skin. Such a crying shame, but as Strother Martin once said "Some people you just can't reach".

Aqua4Ever04 likes this.
  6. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Cocaine will test positive for 3 days. I had friends that got kicked from the Navy for it. If he's studying that hard, his test will be positive.

You did a good job of summing up your feelings here. I'd consider sending him a link to this thread with an "I love you man" message. Not sure if he'd be bummed about the public nature of this though.

Unlucky 13 and Aqua4Ever04 like this.
  7. Boik14

Boik14 Admin Club Member Retired Administrator

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Id have to agree with Ohio. For someone to change so drastically theres something hes not telling you that hes reaching for coke daily. Intervention has to happen. Theres really no other way.

Aqua4Ever04 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  8. Aqua4Ever04

Dec 7, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    When I stayed with him (2 days a week for four months) I was always in the house when he arrived. I never knew if he was gonna be coming in singing, or if he'd walk past refusing to talk. Curiosity got the best of me one day and I peaked inside his room and found a bunch of credit cards and rolled up dollar bills.

He missed work one day because of a hangover, kicked me out of the house another day because of a hangover, but it was never like it is now. I stopped coming around because school let out back in May, and I think that's when he REALLY took things to another level. I haven't spoken to him basically at all in 6 weeks and I feel partially responsible for the fact that he's really going off the deep end. Responsible isn't the right word... but rather like my departure coincided with heavier usage.

Unlucky 13, Boik14 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  9. Ohiophinphan

Ohiophinphan Chaplain Staff Member Luxury Box

YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE!!!

He may accuse you at some point because addicts almost always blame someone or a lot of someones, rarely accepting responsibility for themselves. He has an illness. Yes addiction, but beyond that there is likely an underlying problem behind the addiction. It will take a professional to diagnosis and treat the issue(s). If your friend has family and other friends you might suggest an intervention.

While you are not responsible and no you can not "fix" your friend you might, repeat might, be able to be the catalyst for getting him into treatment.

Aqua4Ever04, Unlucky 13 and Boik14 like this.
  10. Boik14

Boik14 Admin Club Member Retired Administrator

Nov 28, 2007
    New York
    Addicts gonna addict bro. You either get them help or off the deep end they go. Theres no real in between. Get his family or spouse involved...they should know/be involved.

Aqua4Ever04 and Ohiophinphan like this.
  11. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    Raccoon City
    Stories of addiction always make me think of Layne Staley. Friends, family and band mates all tried to help him, but he was on a bullet train to self destruction and would not let it be derailed.

Boik14 likes this.
  12. Unlucky 13

Unlucky 13 Team Rosen Staff Member Club Member

Apr 24, 2012
    Troy, Virginia
    As Ohio said, it is not your fault, Travis! If someone is bound and determined to do something stupid and/or reckless, and you're trying your best to prevent them from hurting themselves, it is not your fault when they finally succeed. Rather, you should be commended for being the person that did their best to help them when you could. Your friend isn't a toddler. They know right from wrong, and they know that their actions have consequences. I've never been able to wrap my head around why some people make the choice to do hard drugs, but they do, and they absolutely know that there are risks involved when they make that choice. Give them advice, offer your support, be there for them if and when they try to get well, but beyond that, there is only so much you can do when another adult is hell bent on their own downward path.

Ohiophinphan and Boik14 like this.
  13. Den54

Nov 23, 2007
    Raccoon City
    Agree with all points. I would also add, don't worry about hurting their feelings or your friendship ending by telling them how incredibly selfish they are being.

Ohiophinphan likes this.