1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7 round Mock w/ context

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by GMJohnson, Apr 20, 2010.

1. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Picks are based on who's available on this http://www.draftsite.com/nfl/index.php?page=1 mock.

#12. Earl Thomas FS, Texas
    #73. Jason Worilds OLB, Vtech
    #110. Javier Arenas CB/KR/PR, Alabama
    #145. Cam Thomas NT, UNC
    #172. Andrew Quarless, TE Penn St.
    #173. Phillip Dillard ILB, Nebraska
    #179. Cameron Sheffield OLB, Troy
    #212. Kam Chancellor S, VTech
    #219. Andre Dixon RB, UCONN

Pick it apart, add your own, its all good.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    -why would they take Arenas over Thomas? Why risk losing Cam Thomas?

-We also have pick #252

-Kam Chancellor is more of a strong safety.

-Phillip Dilliard doesn't have the prototype size

3. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    If the draft fell this way we should be happy campers, very solid. That does seem a bit late for Worilds and Cam Thomas though. Arenas could be a dime back and would likely upgrade our return game though. In a real draft I would likely flip him and Thomas based on our need for a NT.

4. sports24/7

sports24/7 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Can't see Cam Thomas, Chancellor, or Dixon falling nearly that far. Would be a great draft though if they did.

5. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Bell hasn't been anything special and with the Dolphins taking Earl Thomas at 12 in this scenario they wouldn't need another FS. Chancellor would be excellent value if he fell that far.

GMJohnson likes this.
  6. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    YBell has led us in tackles for the last two seasons.

The reason why Maryland's Terrell Skinner is a better fit is he played Cb before he moved to Safety, meaning he already has some coverage skills..unlike Chancellor.

7. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    That would be amazing if this happened!!!! Arenas would be great special teams player as well add some depth @ corner

8. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
  9. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Earl Thomas - Too small, not good against the run.

Jason Worilds - Does not fit prototype size, also below average against the run.

Javier Arenas - Good return man, too small to be a cornerback on this team though.

Cam Thomas - Good pick and good slot for him, however, he wasn't dominant on a defensive line where he got single blocked for the most part.

Andrew Quarles - Solid tight end prospect, character concerns?

Phillip Dillard - Good athlete, but too small for this team.

Cameron Sheffield - I like, and he could be a candidate to move inside on this team.

Kam Chancellor - Would be a steal this low. Big, physical safety with great athleticism.

Andre Dixon - Ho hum runner, likely nothing more than a back up in the NFL if he makes it.

Good effort. I'd give that draft at best a C to C- draft.

GMJohnson likes this.
  10. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    They have Dez Bryant going to NE... wtf?

11. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Again, this is so false it's not even funny.

12. R&R_Express

R&R_Express New Member

Nov 5, 2009
    his knock on him that he cant stop the run isnt true, its that Berry does it better

Earl Thomas would be a GREAT pick! if we dont trade down and get hughes or graham

13. R&R_Express

R&R_Express New Member

Nov 5, 2009
  14. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Thomas @ FS, Chancellor on ST for a couple years until Bell breaks down/retires, sounds like a plan to me.

Oh, and Cam Thomas doesnt have the "prototype" size either. Too heavy. Didnt stop you from claiming we should've taken him earlier eh?

15. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Dont kill the messenger, Im just going off of what the mock said :lol:

sports24/7 likes this.
  16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I agree. Arenas can KR/PR, replace Nate Jones as our second gunner, play the dime, or even the nickel if W Allen isnt healthy or is deemed to expensive. I know Im in the minority, but I'd be suprised if we took a NT any time before the 4th or 5th round, especially a 330 pounder. These guys seem to like NTs who are small enough to slide over to DE if they cant hack it on the nose.

17. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    :knucks: I automatically add anyone who says Thomas cant play the run to the "doesnt watch tape" club...

18. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    Oh, I have watched a lot of tape on him. I don't see him making plays at the LOS against big, physical runners. I see him getting blocked out of running plays by wide receivers. I don't see him wrapping up big, physical runners. Once again, put on the Alabama game and watch Mark Ingram bounce Earl Thomas around like a rag doll.

At best, he's an interference tackler in the run game where he either tries to get in the runner's way to trip him up or he grabs a hold and rides down.

In comparison to Eric Berry, Berry is very adept at ranging from his deep safety position to aggressively attack the run. He will take the runner head on and wrap him up. He's not as easy to block as Earl Thomas. Eric Berry is a bigger player and he plays bigger.

19. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    Im not to sure that Cam Thomas makes it that far but i would love it if he does. I would also like to see us go somewhere else besides Javier Arenas maybe Mike Williams and then with our last pick which you are missing by the way and us that pick on a KR/PR

20. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    He would need to gain about 30 more pounds to play OLB in the 34 defense he would fit good as a LB in the 43 defense

21. sports24/7

Nov 25, 2007
    Leading a team in tackles isn't always a great measuring stick. Wilson was up there too. Bell had a solid season, but was victimized multiple times in the passing game and is up there in age. I think Chancellor is a very solid player and would be excellent value at that spot.

22. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    No offense, but Texas didnt exactly play against alot of bruising runners, mostly spread teams and overmatched prostyle teams. They had comfortable leads in most of thier games where teams werent trying to run the ball much, IIRC they ranked 1st nationally in run defense. I watched the Bama game and Thomas was the only non lineman on the field taking collision course angles vs. Ingram and Richardson, everyone else was going for arm tackles. I agree that Berry is more physical, but he's a bigger guy and the best safety in the draft. I'd take him over Thomas, but thats not a knock on Earl IMO, just means Berry's a little better.

Second, Thomas is a FS, his job is to patrol the deep middle, prevent big plays and serve as a last line of defense in the run game. I'm not as concerned with his run support capabilities as I am with those primary duties. I dont need him blasting RBs head on, as long as he can get them on the ground I'm fine with that, and Thomas isnt a guy who missed many tackles. Alot of people are comparing him to Bob Sanders, Mr. Injury, but Sanders is a SS, and the primary in the box run defender on a team that struggles to stop the run w/ 7 guys. If Thomas were coming here to play that role I'd be concerned as well, but he's not. Our problem was not run defense, it was big plays in the pass game, and Thomas is IMO, a perfect remedy for that.

23. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    :hi5: Seems like Peezy31 is in too much of a rush to disagree lol. I thought it'd be obvious that Chancellor was a SS candidate given his size, skills, Culver, Clemons, the choice of E Thomas in R1, and the fact we have no back up behind 32 yr old Yeremiah. Guess not :lol:.