1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

5 Players with the most prove in the next two games

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by padre31, Aug 20, 2009.

1. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Well, preseason Games #2 and #3 are really professional career tests for these 5 players, the 4th game is really for the "close but no cigar" types of players to show up on film for other teams to sift through after September 5th, the final cut day down to the 53 man roster.

1. Ernest Wilford, his burden is to pass up David Martin as the receiving threat Te, I "know" he is being tried at H-Back, but his blocking is just to poor as a Wr conversion, he either makes plays in the passing game or he won't stick.

2. Andy Alleman...he started 3 games last season at Guard, but did not standout last season, this preseason he is in the mix to back up Smiley, but Ike N and Mark Ellis are also in the mix as well, Alleman can play Center in a pinch, but we signed Joe Berger as the back up Center, Alleman has to stand out.

3. Courtney Bryan, a good special teamer and a versatile Safety who can play either slot, but we are loaded at Safety with Bell, Wilson, Clemons, and Culver, the fmr Arby's manager has a steep hill to climb to remain in Miami.

4. Joey Haynos, here is a player I liked...on paper...he is 6'7 270...in a Te that is prototype blocking Te size, but so far he has not shown much taste for being that physical, nasty big guy blocking Te, with a logjam at Te he has to show up or he will be leaving.

5. Dan Carpenter, this one is a surprise, he was money as a Field Goal kicker last season, but now he is being pushed by Conner Barth and is in real jeopardy of losing his job, he must have some touchbacks, he must be more accurate in kicking field goals.

6th...Matt Roth...he is in limbo right now, can't practice, cannot workout...but no information about his condition is forth coming, whatever is wrong with Matty Roth he finds himself behind the power curve, far far behind the power curve...he won't be cut, but I would not be surprised if he is left on the PUP list for most of the year...

late again and hof13 like this.
  2. azfinfanmang

azfinfanmang Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    I would think the 2 RB's behind Cobbs would make this list. Is Rod Wright still on the roster? If so, I would put him at the front of this list

3. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Not for this list AZ, these are all guys who have played a fair amount of time in the regular season, Rod Wright hasn't seen the field since 2007, and the two Rb's behind Cobbs have not played at all in a regular season game.

These guys either become depth, or they will be cut, in Carpenter's case, each FG try is sort of life or death for his time in Miami.

4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area

nice picks & explanations Friend Padre31

but don't think Haynos or Roth are in serious trouble, if they ditched Carpenter @ the last moment I would be semi-surprised
    I'll have my eye on:
    1) Wilford, who if he plays well may take out the injury prone Martin @ TE
    2) Chris Williams needs a tremendous finish to bump London off the roster.
    3) Hilliard seems to have come alive. It is a long shot but plausible that we could carry an extra RB in the stable, given that we are a run-first offense. it may come down to special teams
    4) J.D. Folsom could suddenly jump up @ a time when we really need ILB's. JD also has the speed & ruthlessness required of our special teams unit.
    5) Pat White. I know he'll captain the WildCat but I'd like to see him under center. Henne needs legitimate competition @ #2

5. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    My list would include Williams and Hilliard.

Williams needs to prove he can be trusted and that he can be a game changer.

Hilliard needs to prove he can be our short yardage runner, STs standout, and if I had my way, lead blocking FB.

6. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    True, but Chris Williams has been beaten to death as a topic rafael, and I was looking for "veterans" who are on the bubble.

We already have Pat Cobbs.

A guy I'd add to that list is Quentin Moses, his game against the Jags the guy looked like a Veteran SSOLB, and he is much more athletic and quick than Matt Roth and holds the point of attack well.

His improvement is remarkable and he is sort of the Anti Roth, instead of short and stout, Moses is long and lean, it would not surprise me to see Q and Wake play OLB for the next two games with JT and JP playing enough to get game ready..

7. Rhody Phins Fan

Rhody Phins Fan Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    I could def see ROth starting on the PUP. It would give him time to catch up and our coaching staff a chance to get a longer look at a player on the bubble.

8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Exactly, what I'd love to see happen is Q play SSOLB to replace Roth, and let JT be a AJ Duhe type who can roam the defense and pick his spot to play based on the offensive formation.

That would save wear and tear on JT and develop Moses.

djphinfan likes this.
  9. late again

late again Senior Member

Nov 24, 2007
    Another (interesting, IMO) facet to the Roth situation is the impact this lingering injury will have on any contract negotiations.

10. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Ireland held a professional football prayer meeting with mr. Carpenter?

"Son, if you miss, you are leaving" maybe?

11. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    Brandon London is in the same boat as Wilford. They both caught 3 passes each last year. With the rooks hungry to take a bite out of crime, London might be yesterdays news.

12. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

i liked what i saw from hilliard the other day against the jags :confused2:

13. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Carpenter is in trouble, inaccurate with short kick offs, he may be leaving.

Though I'd prefer he'd stay, rookie kickers scare the heck out of me.

14. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think your list has too many rules. :wink2:

I agree with Quetin Moses though.

padre31 likes this.