1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3rd Down

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by phinnhedd, Oct 12, 2008.

1. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    What is really getting me peeved is 3rd down situations.

Today I think we went 2/9 on third downs. This down is CRITICAL and here's the issue:

Seems like Chad Pennington ALWAYS hits the receivers short or WAY short of the first down marker. WTF is going on here?

Am I wrong, delusional, seeing the wrong thing?

I know he wants to put the receivers in a position to make a play and get YAC but if it's not working every f**king game then don't you think that it should have been addressed already. Boy am I hot about it.

There were 2 3rd downs where we got about an inch or a yard away from the first down. These wouldn't be an issue if he KNEW where to get the first down.

Maybe receivers weren't open, but it just seems that Pennington always hits his 2nd or 3rd receivers.

And where the F is Ginn?

Jeeze, someone tell me im delusional.

2. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Receivers need to run their routes beyond the first down marker most of the time, though that wasn't always the problem this game. Also I'd rather see him make a safe throw than try and fit one in somewhere and get it intercepted.

3. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    It's definitely something that needs to be addressed IMO, just horrible awareness on most everyone, pennington or receivers.

4. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think success on third down starts with success on first and second down. It seems like we aren't committed to the run even early in games except from the Wildcat.

finsmx likes this.
  5. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Houston was pretty stout against the run, we couldn't get play action going, I don't think we had any rhythm at all. We got the Wildcat to score again, and other than that, our offense went down the field once I believe where we didn't use it. We got a lot of work to do this week.

I'm sure Sparano is going to step it up next week.

6. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Well, while everything said makes sense... i think its also the fact that we dont really have alot of talent at the WR position to help us convert those longer 3rd down situations. Guys arent getting open and Pennington is forced to checkdown.

The key to remember too though... we lost, yes. It was a close, hard fought game. We coudlnt hang onto it at the end, we have lessons to learn, and im sure the coaching staff will drill it into these guys heads. You cant win them all, but we put up a great fight.

7. phinnhedd

phinnhedd Reality.

Oct 10, 2008
    Port Saint Lucie, FL
    Definitely a hard fought game, we had a few breaks there in the final minutes of the game, win some lose some, this game was ours to lose.

8. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    The funny thing is that our WR can't get open down field, but on the short routes they can and usually make a guy or two miss after the catch. I wish we showed more of a determination to get them involved early in the game on short routes.

9. Dannyg28

Dannyg28 Say hi to the rings

Jan 4, 2008
    um, am i the only one who noticed that one of the tags for this thread is sex????