1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

31 out of 50 Free Agents are Restricted

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by cobrajet, Jan 18, 2010.

1. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
  2. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    This is under a cap right?

3. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    i think that is uncapped.

4. #1dolphinsfan

#1dolphinsfan New Member

Nov 23, 2007
    There are 212 total RFA

5. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Or run a scheme more attuned to the talent we already have, but Ireland is going to kick over rocks no matter what, I suspect maybe Ricky Foley from the CFL a DE/OLB ST player.

6. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    A recent review by The Associated Press found that 212 players who would have been unrestricted free agents now will be restricted. That list includes eight Pro Bowlers: receivers Miles Austin and Brandon Marshall, linebackers Elvis Dumervil and DeMeco Ryans, safety Nick Collins, guards Logan Mankins and Jahri Evans, and fullback Leonard Weaver.

So, barring a late deal, there will be no salary cap but fewer quality players to spend the money on when free agency opens on March 5. And that list of attractive unrestricted free agents figures to get shorter. Rather than being able to use a franchise tag (average salary of top five players at position; two first-rounders as compensation) or transition tag (average salary of top 10 players at position; no compensation but seven days to match offer), teams will get a franchise tag and two transition tags. Thus, a team could practically lock up three of its unrestricted free agents instead of just one.

7. cobrajet

cobrajet Mr. Ross - sell the team!

Jan 12, 2010
    We are very lucky; our team is just star studded with talent and our coaching staff does a very good job of getting the very best out of the very least. I am so proud of our guys and how they didn't give up and how they fought to the bitter end.

With that being said I don't think we need to depend on headline talent to build a solid team. I think we can find talent in other places (ie: Cameron Wake) and groom them into superstars. There was a comment made (I think by Shula) years ago that he would take a 5th round over an attention getting 1st rounder any day (paraphrasing).

The reasoning behind this is that most of the 1st rounders end up being flops because they have already peaked or the expectation is very high, while the 5th rounder guy will kill himself to prove to you that he has what it takes.

Because we "hunt and develop" so well I think we will excel this year while other teams fail. Take a fella like Lex Hillard for example, he was taken in the 6th round and is developing into a steal because he worked like hell to prove himself. It's because of production like that we will probably go to the big show next year.