1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Years Later: Grade Our 2010 Draft

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Fin D, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    They say three years is the best time to evaluate a draft...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    - 1st round, #28 overall, Jared Odrick, DE, Penn State
    - 2nd round, #40 overall, Koa Misi, DE/OLB, Utah
    - 3rd round, #73 overall, John Jerry, OG/T, Mississippi
    - 4th round, #119 overall, A.J. Edds, LB, Iowa
    - 5th round, #145 overall, Nolan Carroll, CB, Maryland
    - 5th round, #163 overall, Reshad Jones, S, Georgia
    - 7th round, #212 overall, Chris McCoy, DE/OLB, Middle Tennessee State
    - 7th round, #252 overall, Austin Spitler, LB, Ohio State

Also that year we picked up the following through trades/FA:
    LB Karlos Dansby
    WR Brandon Marshall
    OL Richie Incognito
    LB Tim Dobbins

And we lost:
    LB Joey Porter
    LB Jason Taylor
    LB Akin Ayodele
    CB Nate Jones
    FS Gibril Wilson
    WR Ted Ginn
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So rate that draft and offseason.

2. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    6 players still on team. 1 super star, 2 decent starters, 1 decent starter with weight problem, 1 alright back up and 1 special teams player.

I would give it a C+ on that merit alone, however if on a curve, I think it would be a solid B.

HULKFish and Fin D like this.
  3. Perfectville_USA

Perfectville_USA Mr Perfect

Dec 27, 2012
    Syracuse NY
    I give us a B+ for the 2010 NFL Draft, it was one of our better offseasons.

Fin D likes this.
  4. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Really not a bad draft for meat and potatoes guys. And Jones is just getting started. And Odrick still has some upside as well, especially if his role inside grows.

Problem w/ this draft was the lack of skill position players, but beyond that, a solid B, B-, especially if Jones and Odrick continue their growth. You never know w/ Misi, too. Carroll has probably peaked but still could be a good b/u, dime player, spot starter.

Fin D likes this.
  5. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Being honest.

The star of the Draft is obviously Reshad Jones. Very good job finding him all the way in the 5th round.

You could take or leave anyone else. Any of the other guys that are starters or significant role players (John Jerry, Koa Misi, Nolan Carroll, Jared Odrick) would IMO not have much value or interest if you for example put them up for trade on the trade market. I think many of them just play because there's nobody better. Jared Odrick has not been a bust, but he's not been a worthwhile 1st round pick either. Koa Misi didn't find value as a starter until his 3rd year and even then it wasn't unique value as they may have already replaced him. John Jerry is a guy that found himself starting because there was nobody better, even though previously many thought he'd be cut, and now he's target 1A on the offensive line in terms of replacement.

In free agency, you did not get your money's worth (or in the case of Marshall your draft picks' worth) out of Karlos Dansby or Brandon Marshall. Or Tim Dobbins, for that matter. However you've gotten your money's worth out of Richie Incognito. He's been about what you paid for so that's a good job.

Maybe the best you can say about any of it is that the players they jettisoned were jettisoned for good reason. But if I'm not mistaken, I think that list may omit some other guys. I'd have to look it up.

Xeticus, Da 'Fins, #1 fan and 3 others like this.
  6. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    TBF, we were a Parcells team still, so meat and potatoes with a dearth of skill positions was going to be what happened.

Xeticus likes this.
  7. DolfanTom

DolfanTom Livin' and Dyin' w/ Ryan!

Apr 26, 2008
    Saratoga Springs, NY
    Absolutely!

What we need this year is a draft heavy on the skill w/ a meat and potato here/there sprinkled in. And I think that's what we'll get.

Xeticus, gunn34 and Fin D like this.
  8. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    That draft got us 3 pretty good players on defense. Carroll and Jerry have had their moments but nothing special.

I'd say B-.

Fin D likes this.
  9. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    I give the draft a C/C+

10. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think Jared Odrick, Koa Misi, John Jerry and Nolan Carroll are all really similar. They all find themselves starting or playing a lot because the team doesn't have what they really want at the position. On other teams, they'd be buried. Any of them could still end up being the best of that particular bunch, including Nolan Carroll.

To me the guy from that class that is clearly worth a damn is Reshad Jones. But the label "super star" is a little premature. He's a solid, worthwhile starter which means any given year he could end up in a Pro Bowl. He's not a "star" until he does it multiple years, and he's not a "super star" until he does it multiple years AND raises his level of play even more.

Xeticus, HULKFish, DPlus47 and 3 others like this.
  11. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I get what you are saying. It wouldn't surprise me that in two years the only player left from this draft is Rashad Jones.

Xeticus, Fin D and ckparrothead like this.
  12. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Yeah that's kind of what I'm getting at.

Xeticus and Fin D like this.
  13. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    2010 was the strongest draft the Pats may have ever had.

McCourty, Gronkowski, Spikes, Hernandez, Cunningham, Deadrick...

But they also drafted Ted Larsen in the 6th round. He's been a very good center. Unfortunately for the Pats they cut him and he's now starting for Tampa Bay. Had a great 2012 season.

Fin D likes this.
  14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I dunno, I think a draft that brings in solid starters, one potential super star and the only bust is a 4th, is a decent draft. Especially considering the blueprint we were still following.

15. schmolioot

schmolioot Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Orlando
    I give the draft a C, mainly for Jones and a few other useful players, but I hated the trade down from 12 at the time and I still hate it today.

I'd gladly give up Odrick and Misi for JPP, and passing on Jimmy Graham for Jerry still absolutely burns me today.

16. Stringer Bell

Mar 22, 2008
    From the 2010 draft, here are the career AV numbers acquired by team:

NWE - 131
    SFO - 98
    SEA - 88
    DEN - 87
    CIN - 78
    PIT - 76
    OAK - 75
    GNB - 74
    TAM - 72
    PHI - 71
    ARI - 71
    KAN - 70
    MIA - 69
    CLE - 58
    DET - 57
    HOU - 55
    ATL - 53
    NOR - 52
    STL - 51
    DAL - 47
    IND - 46
    SDG - 45
    CAR - 43
    NYG - 42
    BAL - 42
    TEN - 39
    CHI - 36
    BUF - 35
    JAX - 33
    WAS - 31
    MIN - 30
    NYJ - 21

Mile High Fin and Fin D like this.
  17. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I think you're elevating all of them above what they are. Instead of saying what Reshad Jones IS, you call him a "potential superstar"...which is really a way of calling him a superstar while acknowledging he's not quite a superstar yet. I don't know if the "solid starter" moniker applies to any of the guys you applied it to, from John Jerry to Jared Odrick to Koa Misi or Nolan Carroll. Misi is the one among them that performed the best in his particular role, but that role was also very limited...intentionally.

Xeticus likes this.
  18. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

I think the assessments of this draft made here are fairly accurate...but the problem with that is that this draft was crafted with a specific type of player and specific needs in mind at that time. This is a different team now with a different MO and some of those picks don't seem to fit...well duh...of course they don't now... I'm too wrapped up in 2013 to worry about 2010, I guess...

skippysphins and Fin D like this.
  19. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Also, Misi and Odrick might not be on the team more from a change in system than them being bad.

I also think Carroll is better than people give him credit for.

Fin D likes this.
  20. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Back in that 2010 Draft I remember that Simon wanted Earl Thomas at #12 overall and I wanted Brandon Graham. I would take either of those players over the trade-back for Jared Odrick, Koa Misi and Tim Dobbins.

Xeticus, Nomina #76 and Fin D like this.
  21. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Drafting Chris McCoy, who I felt had talent and flashed all the time that preseason , then cutting him, then him blossoming to a degree two years later is an indictment on the staff at the time..

Fin D likes this.
  22. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    The mere fact that I'm assessing Carroll as right in the same boat as Misi and Odrick should tell you that I also view him as being better than given credit for, but he's still not necessarily a worthwhile starter. And what I mean by that is all of them are players you'd like to replace. Ideally, depth.

I think the system change really benefited Misi. It threw him a life raft as he was drowning. Now he's found value as a two-down outside linebacker. You can argue the system change hurt Odrick. I guess we'll find out when he goes off to his next team and plays.

Fin D likes this.
  23. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I think you're filtering this through your Ireland dislike.

Misi, Jerry & Odrick are not horrible or bad. They are simply solid starters. They aren't great or good, but solid. Would you prefer I call them average or do you really think they are worse than that?
    Your verbal gymnastics about me calling Reshad Jones a potential super star is silly. Basically, you've redefined what the word potential means to make it seem like I'm calling him a super star already.

24. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I am not talking about you with Carroll.

Fin D likes this.
  25. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Who are you thinking of?

Chris McCoy has never taken a snap in the NFL.

miamiron and Fin D like this.
  26. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    I could accuse you of similar bias based on your history of stances on the Jeff Ireland issue. But I thought for once we were going to have an honest discussion without all the unnecessary banter and baseless accusations of bias.

Misi is good at his role, but his role is intentionally limited because of his limitations. That makes him a prime target for upgrade in any offseason you head into. The same is true of John Jerry. He's a weakness, not a strength. He's more why you lose games than why you win them. And Jared Odrick was not "solid" in 2012.

I stand by exactly what I said about your referring to Reshad Jones as a "potential superstar". It's a way of having your cake and eating it too. It's a way of getting the word "superstar" attached to his name without having to defend the accolade.

Nomina #76 likes this.
  27. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    I wanted Earl Thomas too.

Could you imagine Thomas and Jones playing back there together?

28. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Would be pretty nice.

By the same token, what about a 2nd rounder for Stevie Brown? Very athletic (4.50 guy at 205-210 lbs, great jump and agility measures). Took a little while to develop, but only because he's a linebacker convert. Had 8 interceptions and 2 forced fumbles replacing Kenny Phillips at free safety...first year he's played significantly.

Could people imagine him playing next to Reshad Jones? I could.

schmolioot and Fin D like this.
  29. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    I honestly believe in what I said. It isn't without merit or because I'm crazy either. You basically changed the definition of a word to make it the opposite of that word, just so you could say I was making a point I wasn't. What you did wasn't rational. When rational people act irrational its generally because of an emotional reason. I guessed your emotional reason for being irrational to be your well documented Ireland dislike. I'm not saying any of this as insulting or wanting to fight either. I am being 100% honest.

That's the thing though, you always want upgrade players unless you have the best there is. I think most teams have these types of players that make up the bulk of their teams. All of these teams want to upgrade those players.

30. Rocky Raccoon

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Living in Giants country I saw a lot of him. He was very good last year, but a 2nd round pick? I don't know if I'd pull the trigger on that. If he would have a had another season similar to last year I'd consider it more, but I just don't know.

I don't think I'd be upset about it though.

Fin D likes this.
  31. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    This discussion is over. Good job.

32. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    Down goes Frasier!

Rocky Raccoon likes this.
  33. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Ok man, whatever.:pity:

34. Nomina #76

Nomina #76 Season Ticket Holder

Mar 23, 2008
    Ohio
    We are 20-28 since making these moves so I will go with a C-

We pulled together several starters from the group but being a starter on a team that goes 20-28 over 3 years (3 straight losing seasons) doesn't mean as much...

35. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dec 11, 2007
    I highly disagree with this type of grading scale. Ignores the fact that football is a team sport

Fin D likes this.
  36. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    the eagles signed him to a two year deal..I'm just projecting that he will..my bad for not being clear..

Fin D likes this.
  37. bigbry

bigbry Huge Member

Dec 18, 2008
    Colorado
    We all grade the draft in terms of + or -. So the best draft would be A+. That would mean all "super stars" by now. It would be proven on the field, not by who drafted them.

We have no super stars in that draft.

C grade IMO. C grades don't make it in today's NFL. Again IMO we need a series of at least B+ grades.

38. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    How many super stars have to be drafted in a draft to get B+?

39. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    All I know is that Parcells sucks..no one left from that fat asses first draft..

POS

Sorry fin, back to your regular scheduled program

Larryfinfan and Fin D like this.
  40. ckparrothead

Dec 1, 2007
    Ah ok. Well, I'm not going to ding them for it before he even takes a snap of NFL football, personally. :)

Fin D likes this.