1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3-Hero Strong, Double Stack, Option Zipper

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Section126, Nov 12, 2013.

1. Section126

Section126 We are better than you. Luxury Box

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    That's the call.

The call that found Mike Wallace open often versus the Colts early in the season.

Simply put...it allows for Wallace to be in a trips formation, on the strong side and run option routes underneath Clay and Hartline, who run a deep combo route.

it gave the Colts fits. They used it to some success versus the Patriots. It saw considerable success with several players running it as the "Zipper" vs. the Ravens.

The Number of these plays called versus the Colts in week 2? 16.

The Number of these plays called vs. the Patriots? 6

The Number of these plays called tonight? (A preliminary look at the play by play tells me 2)

A guy I spoke with tells me....1.

Yep...1.

So a set where Mike Wallace has seen the most success this year was called once tonight.

Another number.....26. Mike Wallace ran 26 routes tonight as clear outs for combo routes. I am told Mike Wallace had enough and made his feelings known.

NOBODY...much less a receiver likes to hear your number called as the fourth option in what should be 2 read pass plays OVER AND OVER and OVER.

he has had his issues, but this coaching staff is actively sabotaging him.

2. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Yep, among other things...like Tannehill does not throw a good deep ball.

I'd complain as well, people are dogpiling Wallace, he does have issues (Ginnesque hands) to put it all on him is just BS.

DOLPHAN1 likes this.
  3. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    he does nothing to merit setting him up. drops a first down catch. Doesn't even try to keep his feet in bounds on the deep ball. Yes, the throw was off and it would have been a very hard catch, but wallace owes us some hard catches. Wallace has done nothing this year but fail to make plays when they come his way. the ravens game was the worst of the season as he just totally **** the bed in that one.

4. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I got a strong double stack behind my optional zipper for ya. :tongue2:

It sickens me, too, to see how few bunch formations we've been using, ESPECIALLY tonight when knowing Wallace would most likely be drawing Revis.

5. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Another issue.

Who the **** creates plays that have 6 call signs, with the line call to follow, and the route numbers after that. That is damn near a 15 second read as a call according to the tell tale reader counter I have handy.

In other words..the call probably sound like this:

3-Hero Strong, Double Stack, Option Zipper, tiger, lima, rogers 397, gap pro, iso randy end, stack pro.

If that sounds confusing....that's because it probably is.

6. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    A little too much respect for Revis, and most of the coverages were dictating the ball go elsewhere. Personally I think they should do more to get Wallace involved but clearly the staff disagrees.

7. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    Nobody likes to run out there in a straight line over and over like a dummy.

Killer B's, jdang307, Tone_E and 5 others like this.
  8. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Eh, w/Revis it makes sense though, he is expert at coming off of his man to make an Int, clearing him out is a good option...BUT...you also have to feed him for doing all that work.

GMJohnson likes this.
  9. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    if it takes you 15 seconds to read the call.....

how efficient can your "tempo" be? Philbin complained about the offense lacking tempo tonight...well...these guys **** a lot of plays...maybe you need to simplify verbiage, but that would require a good coach.

Chip Kelly on the other hand has 1 call sign, pass pro call, and number designation for the routes on a pass play. Part of his genius BTW. His offenses are simple to run and apply pressure on the defense on every play.

10. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    think about it. Wallace ran 26 sprints tonight. How tired was he late?

11. Kevlared

Kevlared New Member

Jun 8, 2013
    we need a new OC and a new oline. OC clearly has shown that he can't make any in game adjustments.

12. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    That is a big fat "waah" for him, I suspect Philbin was to soft on these guys, that is one of the reasons why we see what we see.

Rarely are our guys the aggressors.

13. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Hey remember when Dan Henning called every fade to Hartline rather than giving opportunities to our playmaker Marshall b/c he thought it was the last thing a defense would expect? I was hoping we moved beyond that type of stuff but....

SICK and Mcduffie81 like this.
  14. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I think that could be part of the defense's problem too. They seem to spend too much time thinking rather than having simpler reads/responsibilities so they can play fast and decisive like how the Seahawks scheme it up.

15. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    well..it's not like Marshall has been productive since he left here...oh...yeah.

ToddPhin likes this.
  16. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    How about some crossing routes? Clay and Matthews down the seams w Wallace and Hartline crossing underneath, maybe Miller swinging to the flats. It seems like we are stuck on the same handful of concepts offensively.

ToddPhin likes this.
  17. padre31

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Heh, if one recalls Marshall's time here, he had the dropits on fade passes from Henne.

RevRick likes this.
  18. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    and now he is a MONSTER that damn near beats teams with the Bears backup QB.

19. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    If the OC isn't making the proper adjustments then his HC needs to intervene. The run game has been an issue for most of the season, I thought we had it fixed but tonight we had what, 2 yards rushing? That's pathetic. I don't want to hear about the OL sucks, there are college teams who could run for more yards than we did on Tampa tonight. It was a failure from top to bottom and everyone from Egnew to Ireland deserves blame.

20. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    losing both Marshall & Bush were absolutely gut-wrenching for me. Imagine if we still had both and drafted Lacy and used a high pick on a WR & TE to compliment them, plus employed an OC who could actually utilize 2 of the league's premier playmakers like Detroit is successfully doing? FML.

Boik14 likes this.
  21. Section126

Dec 20, 2007
    Miami, Florida
    BTW, Marshall is on pace to have what would be the 4th most productive season for a WR in Dolphin History. He had the 3rd most last year.

22. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Stop pouring salt on the wound. lol

The objective fan in me wanted to wait for this season to play out before criticizing the moves, but now that we're far enough along I'd tell Ireland & Co to eat a bag'a ***** for it. I still wear my Marshall jersey in spite, so f*** him.

canesz06 and Finfangirl like this.
  23. dolfan22

dolfan22 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Like I said in another post , non productive players with issues are ok though ..... big big big sigh.

24. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I'm with you on Reggie, I thought Miller would produce a lot more for us. That's what I get for trusting a cane lol.

Marshall I'm not so sure about, that dude can get a dozen targets and still be pissed. I don't think our current system would fly with him.

25. dolfan22

Sometimes , not always of course , fans are more correct than management.

Unfortunately for this franchise that happens far far far too frequently.

26. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    I disagree.

We have a lot of fans who like to think they are smarter than management. I can't say for sure who's who but Hindsight and amnesia are a sure sign you've run into one.

27. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Well, to be fair to you, Philbin & Sherman would've squandered Bush's ability just like they did the year prior, so....

... which is why if I had Bush & Marshall I would've perhaps brought in a coordinator capable of building an appropriate system around their great ability rather than choosing a system that isn't suited for them and subsequently having to start from scratch b/c of it.

cuchulainn likes this.
  28. Rocky Raccoon

Rocky Raccoon Greasepaint Ghost Staff Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Jersey
    Mike Sherman just has no creativity. I see the same routes over and over again. No adjustments. No trickery. Nothing.

You have two electric guys in Wallace and Miller and they rarely try to get them the ball in open field.

Dion Sims is such a big target for Tannehill and they rarely use him in the passing game unless it's to block.

I've had enough of Sherman. I know the offensive line is pathetic, but you have weapons. Get creative and use them.

29. dolfan22

I disagree.

We have a lot of fans that think Ireland was the answer and the direction we went was going to bring his team into and win in the playoffs.

If someone contradicts what turns out to be a very poor decision at the time , is that hindsight? I don't think it is.

No one is always right of course , but you need your GM to be right a LOT more than what Ireland has been imo.

Yet another frustrating season is not acceptable , you agree?

30. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Y banana! Y banana! why not an orange or an apple? :shifty:

Seriously, the coaching staff and the GM are not on the same page. Mike Wallace is an example. Dion Jordan is another. Jordan gets about 15 to 20 snaps a game, inexcusable. Lets not even talk about Will Davis or Jamar Taylor or Mike Gillislee. The staff is apparently doing it on purpose to get Ireland fired. Philbin wants his own guy, not some Cowboy reject.

Well, that sounds believable...

ToddPhin likes this.
  31. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I agree, if Sherman isn't the worst at scheming to get players in space I don't know who is. It's unacceptable. My jaw shouldn't have to drop in awe when watching the semi-creative catch & run TD play by Matthews. Fortunately I watch enough football to realize what I just witnessed was not in fact a miracle caliber play but rather like something the rest of the league does routinely.

32. dolfan22

When Ireland hired or gave his approval to Philbin he said his job was to get the type of players his coach wanted.

Somewhere something went awry .

Fin D likes this.
  33. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ... and Tannehill, Miller, Reshad Jones, and Pouncey.... and possibly our linebackers to some degree as well.

34. DOLPHAN1

DOLPHAN1 Premium Member Luxury Box

during the first half when the feed was complete, in other words i could as well as here the game, Gruden was pointing out that Jerry was giving a huge tell as well. he would look around to Tannehill and then tell Pouncy when to hike the ball when in shotgun. first he stated it then he actually highlighted it and sure enough, he was and the D was all over the count

ToddPhin and Boik14 like this.
  35. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    hard to throw a good deep ball when you don't have time to blink before the Dline is on top of you.

36. PhinGeneral

PhinGeneral PC Texas A&M, Bro Club Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Swamps of Jersey
    You probably wouldn't want Jon Gruden here then.

maynard likes this.
  37. BigDogsHunt

BigDogsHunt Enough talk...prove it!

Nov 27, 2007
    DC Metro Area
    [video=youtube;xmZ0tVOTr3o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmZ0tVOTr3o[/video]
    "Shorty, this is you. This is a Coke bottle-" "I don't wanna be the Coke bottle top." "Okay, well, wadd'ya wanna be-" "Man, I wanna be the piece of glass!" "Okay, got it...now listen..."

...what about me....You, you go Long!!!

MikeHoncho and Section126 like this.
  38. invid

invid Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 9, 2012
    Ugh.. preach man, this is exactly how I feel about Sherman.

ToddPhin likes this.
  39. rdhstlr23

rdhstlr23 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    It's not good Sec.

I agree about Wallace being put in good situations.

However, you think about it...He catches that one pass and Tannehill hits him on that big one and he probably winds up with a 4 catch 100+ yd night and a TD.

The GM & coaching staff just aren't good fits. I want it all gone.

Boik14 likes this.
  40. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    It's like they want to get fired.

Paul 13 likes this.