1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 for creative change

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Jul 23, 2010.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    got three players to be considered w/ scrutiny & creative attention this year:

1) Pat White: a) a premier & genuine WildCat (single wing) QB, he can take the system to an apex in production as an offensive threat. b) White is as much a RB as a QB & can catch the ball. very talented football player. his versatility & intelligence are potentially the cutting edge to a creative offensive & special teams play book. he can be used as a situational scat back, slot or wr when you need a trick or two to change the pace. I think he may wind up returning kicks w/ Sheets for that very reason. they could use him as a holder for FG's, upgrading the effort to a run or a pass w/ his presence on the field. White is a winner & will be utilized in a number of different capacities to upgrade & vary the playbook, as well as being the potential 3rd/emergency backup in the conventional system.

2) Sheets will win a roster spot if he can pin down the returning duties on special teams. Nice change up in the backfield w/ quickness & the best speed on the team. if he can nail down the ST's position, Hilliard will dance...

3) Pat Turner will go to the wall after this season if he cannot find a way to contribute. I know its a stretch, but it seems to me his best bet is to make his bones primarily as a receiving-TightEnd. it would address a legitimate need.
    just something to think about...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  2. GISH

GISH ~mUST wARN oTHERS~

Nov 23, 2007
    Over Yonder
    1.) Don't think we've seen Pat White catch a football yet, so I don't know how you know he's good at it.

2.) I agree that Sheets could be our best bet at KR. I think he could have value at RB as well.

3.) I don't see Pat Turner as a TE. A knock on him is his ability to separate and get off jams. Not sure going against bigger defenders would help that. He would get thrown on his ***.

Fin-Omenal, Bpk and dolfan7171 like this.
  3. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    1) you're right about that... I made an assumption that like a number of other QB's w/ excellent running ability, that his touch for the football would roll over into receiving the ball as well. not an uncommon move for a speedy athletic QB going WR. however, pure speculation & maybe wishful thinking on my part, but indisputably worth a look.
    2) I like what Sheets potentially brings to the table & believe Hilliard has come up short as a RB.
    3) more speculation on my part bringing together opportunity, need & potential.

4. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    Interesting thoughts there 23rd. I think that if Pat White is going to contribute this year, he needs to at least complete a pass since everyone knows of his running abilities. I think that Sheets would be a monster on the field both as a returner and as a back. I am not sure what to think anymore with Turner. I really don't know what he is capable of since I didn't really watch him much at USC.

5. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    this is ultimately about coaching
    got to coach up a team
    develop the strengths of every player,
    experiment, be creative, tweak the system
    to accompany the roster
    we have a very experienced, proven
    coaching cadre: as we leave no stone unturned
    & are about gathering acorns
    we have to make the most of our roster
    coaching, coaching, coaching

6. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Exactomundo, on all three counts. :up:

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

1) 23rd, I know you are just about the most positive poster on this board, but where did you get the idea that Pat White is "a premier and genuine WCxQB" ?? Where have you seen that....at this level ?? None of the rest of us have. Yes, he ran the spread offense at WVU, but this is the NFL and his game just hasn't transferred to this level. He's fast, but not that fast. He's elusive but not that elusive. He's never caught a pass or even lined up as a WR, Slot or gone out on a pass receiving route from the backfield for us. He's never returned a punt or kick. In fact, this regime has gone out of it's way to state that they see him as an NFL QB, nothing more and we haven't seen that ability in him either. Whether it was due to his inability to learn the system or lack of talent or lack of confidence in himself, lack of intelligence or whatever, he really hasn't shown us much of anything except that he's inaccurate and indecisive as a QB or WCxQB as of yet. Given what we saw from him in college, what you stated in #1 is certainly where his potential is, but from what we have seen of him so far, you couldn't be further off about White....he's not versatile, not accurate, he's indecisive as a QB and WCxQB and seems to not be very intelligent in learning the pro game and reading defenses at this level. Something that we've seen happen to a lot of these spread offense college QBs....(David Klingler, Akili Smith, Kordell Stewart, etc). Sorry guy, but I just don't see it from White...

2) I also share your enthusiasm with Sheets though. We haven't seen much from him, but he has that one thing that is un-coachable....speed...
    If he can lock down a return spot, that would allow them time to incorporate him into the offense some, perhaps in some of the roles that Cobbs had before his injury....Could be a guy worth developing...should be an interesting battle in camp...

3) Turner is quite the enigma. He seemed to have what it takes to be a solid pro WR, in the Marshall, TO, Andre Johnson mold, being very physical and still having some speed. But we haven't seen it so far. Again, is it because he's not the smartest guy in the world or is his speed and physicality at this level just not enough or is it just that he has struggled at getting off the LOS, as is a common issue with young WR entering the NFL ?? We don't really know and I think you are right when you say that if we don't see something from him this TC, we won't be seeing him on the roster at all....

8. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    23rd love your THREADS, AND YOUR POSTS ARE VERY COLORFUL. KEEP IT UP BROTHER!

1. Pat white: I see a kid looking to find his bones defending against a mans game. I think the kid is smart enough to get and has worked hard enough to get himself a roster spot. Its next preseason that he'll make them so called bones.

2. Kory Sheets i believe has a better than average chance at making the roster IMO. Pat Cobbs is a all around player. Lex Hilliard while a nice down hill runner never showed any flash for individual play making ability. EDIT: I forget his special teams abilty but Sheets also is there for returner. I believe good special teams need good athletes across the board. If ya have good athletes in back up rolls you can compete on special teams.

3.Pat Turner is a total wildcard. I for some reason expect this cat to excel , why else did they hide this guy all year. ( He could be that bad but ouch)

I say this with the idea, that we still need a preseason and camp.

dolfan7171 likes this.
  9. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I agree that this is a totally speculative thread.
    it w/ intended to be all about "what if", potential & possibilities.
    I could have easily structured the thread differently,
    making it all about coaching & getting the most out of a team.
    coaching is more than the third rail of football,
    it is what wins or loses games in a sport fraught w/parity.

when I suggested that the Dolphins would move Stark to NT & draft a DE,
    it w/ after looking @ the roster in a way a good coach might view it.
    just made good sense. in the same vein I approach the stated three.
    what to do? waste not, want not.
    white, sheets & turner could be present serious potential for Miami in 2010
    if handled w/creativity by the coaching cadre,
    they might make the difference between winning & losing
    a crucial game, even a SuperBowl. you just never know...

dolfan7171 likes this.
  10. dolfan7171

dolfan7171 Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
    Arizona
    You're right. It could be that these guys could turn out to be great players. At the same time they could be before we know it...interesting. Thanks for posting this!!

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    waste not, want not
    you play the cards that are dealt
    in the best way to win
    be creative & coach them up!

siciliansith and dolfan7171 like this.