1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3-2 with a boat load of problems...

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by zwave21, Oct 6, 2013.

1. zwave21

zwave21 New Member

Dec 31, 2012
    If we were to say that going into our bye week we would be 3-2 I would be ecstatic. But, for some reason we kind of limped in to the bye. The Saints game we just got flat out beat but today was a game we should've won. Below is a list of problems I am seeing and in no particular order or preference b/c they all need to be fixed.

- Coaching: There are times I want to say I believe in Philbin and Co. but I just can't look myself in the mirror and say that without doubt. Clock Management was horrible today and game management always seems to be a struggle. Calling a timeout on the first drive is nuts and pathetic. We definetly have more tempo on Offense in the past but what happened to running 75+ plays a game. I really don't know our identity because we have can't establish the run and can't protect the QB. FLAT OUT we seem unprepared to start games. Last week and this week no sense of urgency. I thought Sherman was going to be great for Tannehill but his play calls are so terrible I wouldn't mind someone new in there. Again a stretch play on 3 n 1. No rollouts and very little read option which worked last week. I also don't like the way they rotate players. DION JORDAN is a player let him eat...., Jimmy Wilson is terrible but I can't say what I've seen from Jamar Taylor makes him any better. Change up the O-Line cause that stuff aint working.

- Offensive Line. We stink no way around it at all. Pouncey is the only one I would stick up for in an arguement. Martin I am not ready to give up on but he still looks physically inept. If they can cancel Season 4 of the Extreme Makeover Guard Edition starring John Jerry that would be great. Tyson Clabo meet Marc Colombo and you can both sit in a hole together. Richie love your nasty style but not like he hasn't had problems. While the line is putrid it can be placed on other shoulders as well. Tannehill has become a statue back there at times. I get he may not have Luck or Wilson's pocket awareness but did he forget you can run (oh, and when you do secure the ball) but gosh part of me wonders if he is coached not to run which is s shame. I get we don't want him hurt. Play calling...he has no pocket so let's get some playaction and designed roll outs to get things going. Oh speaking of playaction since we can't run for even 30 yards kind of hard to confuse the defense that way. Solution: Mix up the line-up. Clabo is horrible Garner should at least get a shot. We signed Watkins for a reason so why not let him step in for Jerry. Also we drafted an All-SEC Guard and yes he is a Guard cause we saw the nightmare at Tackle but why not give Dallas Thomas a look. This line is broke so it needs to be fixed.

-Drops...every week there are about 3 to 4 drops and today they were costly. Hartline on 3rd down very uncharacteristic of him but it should of been a catch. Wallace, Wallace, Wallace. That ball was thrown behind him at the 7 but you gotta have that. Clay on that final drive would've given us 5-6 more yards for Sturgis.

-Mike Wallace: well he got fed this week and to me it might've been forced. Thats the trend I am seeing is that one week we focus on one receiver getting the primary targets then the next it's another one. Love to see us just spread the ball without trying to please the individual. But, Mike drops, drops, drops. No doubt he is a difference maker and I believe it. He has a second gear that is out of this world but his lack of effort on some plays is apparent. And he also makes mental mistakes. But most importantly him and tannehill got to get on the same page. I swear though between him and Marshall guys are all world talents but make life frustrating.

-RT17: he has shown me a lot of good things this year and I do believe he can be the Franchise QB we have waited and prayed for. But, he isn't close to be Elite. YET. He needs better awareness in situations. Clock Management is a big one, as well as ball security. But most importantly he needs to loosen up in the pocket. Yes, laugh at you will because how can you be loose when your heads getting taken off every other drop back. But he looks stiff back there he needs to use his athleticism more and not be afraid to move up in the pocket or take off and run. Additionally, he needs to stop staring down receivers and underthrowing deep balls. His arm strength is evident but for some reason he floats a lot of deep balls, he needs to grip it and rip it especially on Wallace deep balls.

-Depth. We just don't have it. Yes, we are banged up but it seems every week especially on defense we are using backups like Trusnik, and Freeny. Today was just horrible. Not saying our guys didn;t step up but when Jason Trusnik is your 4th linebacker you have problems. It was nice to see Jelani Jenkins out there and from my recollection he did ok. Every week CB is a problem. Patterson's injury has been a real hurt, and Carroll has been better not good but better. The fact Jimmy Wilson plays makes me sick but Jamar Taylor looks lost and Will Davis is M.I.A. To get where we need to go we need to establish depth.

End of the day we are 3-2 and have two weeks to get healthy. We have some serious postiives on this team and can compete for the playoffs but we are not anywhere close to Elite but we can get there.

2. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I want to see Wllace ramp it up, become more dominant. But my biggest gripe is about Jake Long- I would have preferred that we kept him/he chose to stay- however that situation palyed out I wish that he was here. I am no big fan of Jonathan Martin, but the OL tool a HUGE hit with Martin at LT and Clabo stinking up the joint at RT. And RG- for the love of God let's move on from John Jerry, please.

The Dolphins had a decent OL after spending a #1 overall pick on a LT and the highest pick in recent memory on a Center. Now the #1 overall pick is gone and the OL sucks. That is not a very good FO track record as per the OL, at all.

3. ExplosionsInDaSky

ExplosionsInDaSky Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Wallace-Look I think we can expect a hit and miss season from Mike Wallace the rest of the way. He'll probably hit 1,000 yards if he stays healthy along with 5-6 TD's, but lets be realistic here....He's not going to set the league on fire if Tannehill doesn't have time to throw.

Tannehill- Growth baby, thats what we need to see. Today he showed it. He bounced back after being horrible against the Saints, and he didn't lose us the game. He was clutch again in the fourth but this time our Line lost the game towards the end. That last sack was bone crushing.

O-line- It is what it is. It stinks and that should be fixed this offseason asap.

Coaching- I don't know much about, not sure who to blame on that one. So far I like what Philbin has done. Sherman has been questionable.

Bottom line:
    We should have re-signed Reggie Bush and Jake Long if the goal was to win. It made no sense to spend big with Wallace, Ellerbe, Grimes, Keller, etc and then just let Bush and Long walk. They should have been part of the bigger picture. With Bush and Long here we are 4-1 and maybe better. Thats just my opinion. Front office is to blame for that one.

4. PhinishLine

PhinishLine Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Maryland
    But wasn't Jake Long benched for STL? Why exactly is he a must have?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

fins4o8 and TooGoodForDez like this.
  5. finwin

finwin Active Member

Apr 30, 2013
    Jamestown, NC
    It was a tough loss to stomach. If they had a bitter taste in their mouths after the NO game, they sure didn't come out and play like they really wanted this game. This loss was a gut shot no doubt about it. Even at the slim chance they get to 5-2, it's no doubt the heart is a bit lacking on this team so I'm very disappointed.

6. Vertical Limit

Vertical Limit Senior Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I don't get why people still bringing up Jake Long when he's having the worst season of his career atm.

ToddPhin and byroan like this.
  7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    Well before the season I thought 3-2 would be good as well, but that was before I saw the Ravens actually play as poorly as we thought they might have. And they didn't look that great today either. Should've taken it, far too many mistakes. And then seeing just how bad the o-line really is and how the run game isn't good enough to overcome any of it, plus the large number of drops. It makes for a not quite as good 3-2. And then you see a former 2 win team team like KC sitting at 5-0. Frustrating.

Also AFC is much more competitive than anyone thought.

8. MAFishFan

MAFishFan Team Tannehill

Sep 20, 2011
    Massachusetts
    On Wallace ans Tannehill: I think today was a case of forcing him the ball. I'm a fan of throwing to who's open, I don't care who you are or how much you make. Griese brought up a good point after Tannehill underthrew Wallace: just over throw it. Throw it out there and let him go after it. On the flip side, I was watching highlights today and there were a bunch where WR's had to go up and fight for the ball or catch one that maybe wasn't on point (the Luck to Hilton catch being one great example). People love to put the blame on Tannehill and say his accuracy is off when he puts it slightly behind the WR (because he has 5 people bearing down on him), but what about our WR's just catching the damn ball. So it's off, big deal, other WR's make these catches.

9. fins4o8

fins4o8 Mac FTW!

Nov 25, 2007
    Has any reporters reported that Tanny & Wallace take extra reps together like how Manning did back in the days in Indy? If not, why aren't they?

-Sent from my TMO Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

10. CRAZYFACE

CRAZYFACE Active Member

Sep 13, 2011
    England
    Well yesterday was my first oppportunity to see the Dolphins, we were on TV you know over here. Utter s h one T. Tannehill? Rubbish. He looks sooooooo wooden. If the play called doesn't work he's got nothing. How and offence can let a defence though when all we are attemping to do is just get in field goal range is beyond me. Grown men who can't do a simple thing like catch a ball, when it the number one thing in their job description is unbelieveable. And what happened with the field goal attempt at the end? It all seemed so rushed, when a little composure would have gone a long way. Very very disappointed from over here in England.

11. Cydonia

Cydonia New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Not a boatload. One glaring problem. The Offensive Line is downright OFFENSIVE. With the exception of Pouncey, the O-line need a complete overhaul and it needs to happen now with 2 weeks to work on it. If it's not fixed in the next 2 weeks, 8-8 will be wishful thinking. If it's not fixed in the next 2 weeks, Matt Moore will be calling signals because Tannehill will end up on the IR. Lamar Miller could be a top 10 back in this league, but not even Adrian Peterson would do well running into a wall 9 out of 10 plays.

12. Alex13

Alex13 Tua Time !!! Club Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Berlin,Germany
    fixed....you should stay to soccer over there, if you could play any in england, but anyways, to call tannehill that after that game he played last night, questions your knowledge of this game....bigtime....rubbish ? wooden ?....unreal

13. Cydonia

Cydonia New Member

Mar 31, 2013
    Yeah, that FG was definitely one Sturrgis could have made. It was too rushed. Reminds me of the Stoyanovich miss in the 94 playoffs against San Diego. The offensive line cost Miami this game. Plain and simple.

14. Kud_II

Kud_II Realist Division

Oct 15, 2011
    Seneca, SC
    Our schedule has been ruthless to be fair. Still sucks to lose 2 in a row and see glaring holes on our team.

15. STColeridge

STColeridge Banned

May 2, 2013
    In order for us to compete for the playoffs, we'd have to sweep the Jets, the Bills (highly unlikely being that they destroyed Baltimore and Baltimore dominated us--so thats a split), split with the Patriots (highly unlikey since we our oline cannot block), and beat the Bengals (their Dline is going to have 6 sacks against us).

This team is what I thought they were in preseason...a substandard football team.

16. CRAZYFACE

CRAZYFACE Active Member

Sep 13, 2011
    England
    Admittedly my knowledge of, what has become possibly the most complicated game in the world, is not as great as I would like, I can only call it as I see it. Dallas were on afterwards. Romo showed, early on, how to deal with a play that didn't come off. Duck, dive, twist turn brilliant throw. Tannehill? His only thought is....."Oh cr@p another sack"