2019 MLB Thread

510 replies

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 1, 2019, 12:22 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Imo that horrendous start killed the season. Cant lead off the season like that and expect a deep run.

Maddon out. Bit of a risk, but his message wasnt being heard and 2 straight disappointing seasons getting beat out by lesser talented teams makes it an easy choice.

Question is how far they go in tinkering. Do they hope a new manager can get the most out and mostly stand pat? Or do they go crazy and try a move like offloading Bryant for pitching? Will ownership be willing to spend?

Also, the Red Sox appear ready to pinch pennies and ship out Mookie.

There is a lot of sentimental support for the Cubs to hire David Ross as manager, but I'm in the Joe Girardi camp. The Cubs have no excuses not to be a WS contender at least for the next two to three seasons minimum, and they need to hire someone who knows what the heck he's doing, and not a rookie. Girardi's been to the post season six times, and won 28 games once he got there. He's also from the Chicago area originally, and played for the Cubs briefly, so that's a little bonus.

As far as the team goes, we shall see. I'm going to be pissed as anything if they fail to resign Castelanos. He was perfect for them in the second half. Lots of other parts could be shuffled around. I'm even open to the idea of trading Bryant for a mega package, if someone comes knocking.

texanphinatictexanphinaticForum Veteran
Oct 1, 2019, 12:48 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

There is a lot of sentimental support for the Cubs to hire David Ross as manager, but I'm in the Joe Girardi camp. The Cubs have no excuses not to be a WS contender at least for the next two to three seasons minimum, and they need to hire someone who knows what the heck he's doing, and not a rookie. Girardi's been to the post season six times, and won 28 games once he got there. He's also from the Chicago area originally, and played for the Cubs briefly, so that's a little bonus.

As far as the team goes, we shall see. I'm going to be pissed as anything if they fail to resign Castelanos. He was perfect for them in the second half. Lots of other parts could be shuffled around. I'm even open to the idea of trading Bryant for a mega package, if someone comes knocking.

Castellanos was really good for them down the stretch, about the only one. He should definitely be a priority, will see what kind of suitors he has though. Shame that Almora couldn't put anything together on offense. This is also going to be a last chance year for Happ.

The problem though is pitching. Lester was an abomination for much of the year, Hendrix slipped a lot. Q is unreliable and Darvish - while he rebounded into ace form - is not reliable health wise. The bullpen was a dumpster fire. Not really sure what all they have to clean that up aside from praying guys like Lester, Hendrix and Kimbrel have a positive regression after tough years.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 1, 2019, 12:53 PM

"texanphinatic wrote:

Castellanos was really good for them down the stretch, about the only one. He should definitely be a priority, will see what kind of suitors he has though. Shame that Almora couldn't put anything together on offense. This is also going to be a last chance year for Happ.

The problem though is pitching. Lester was an abomination for much of the year, Hendrix slipped a lot. Q is unreliable and Darvish - while he rebounded into ace form - is not reliable health wise. The bullpen was a dumpster fire. Not really sure what all they have to clean that up aside from praying guys like Lester, Hendrix and Kimbrel have a positive regression after tough years.

No doubt. The Cubs haven't successfully drafted and developed a pitcher since Wood and Prior. Their system has sucked at it for a long, long time, and its killing them. But they're basically stuck with what they have while these contracts play out. At least Darvish had a really good second half. The hope is that he is finally healthy and that's why it all finally came together. But otherwise, they basically need to be able to win games by just out slugging and wearing out their opposition.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 3, 2019, 08:38 PM

Enjoyed the Nationals game vs the Brewers and Game 1 of the Braves vs the Cardinals is excellent so far. MLB got off to a good start



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 3, 2019, 10:52 PM

I can't even stomach the urge to watch right now, after my Cubs choked away September two years in a row. Football time.

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Oct 4, 2019, 08:58 PM

"muscle979 wrote:

I don't have a big issue with the balls, to be honest. It's not like anybody's out there hitting 80 or 90 home runs. Power pitchers are supposed to miss bats, so I don't think the ball hurts them as much. If anything, it should hurt pitchers that pitch to contact. I think bullpens are bad because teams are carrying too many pitchers. There isn't an endless supply of pitchers who are good at the MLB level. It's a small number, and I think there aren't enough to fill all the roster spots for 30 MLB teams. That's why you see so many teams struggling with bad bullpen pitchers. More teams are using more pitchers. It was highly probable that would cause a decline in performance.

I know this is w but old but I think you have it backwards.

Yes, power pitchers miss bats. They are also fly ball/line drive type pitchers when a bat connects. If warning shot outs are becoming home runs its certainly impacting them.

On the other hand contact pitchers arent generally fly ball pitchers to begin with.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 4, 2019, 11:39 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

I know this is w but old but I think you have it backwards.

Yes, power pitchers miss bats. They are also fly ball/line drive type pitchers when a bat connects. If warning shot outs are becoming home runs its certainly impacting them.

On the other hand contact pitchers arent generally fly ball pitchers to begin with.

I agree. Many games at all parks seem to be like a day at Wrigley when the wind is blowing out.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 5, 2019, 12:51 AM

man. Sherzer just struck out the side in the 8th. Dodgers/ Nationals is the real NLCS. Whoever wins will go to the World Series. Braves and Cardinals arent in the same class. They would need massive amounts of luck to win



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

muscle979muscle979Forum Veteran
Oct 5, 2019, 05:37 PM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

man. Sherzer just struck out the side in the 8th. Dodgers/ Nationals is the real NLCS. Whoever wins will go to the World Series. Braves and Cardinals arent in the same class. They would need massive amounts of luck to win

LMAO, you can't be serious, come on. The Braves are better than the Nationals in basically every way and have proven it over and over again this season. You're overreacting to one game. These same Nationals that went into September with a chance to jump right back into the division race and instead dropped five of seven to Atlanta. If Atlanta makes the NLCS I hope like hell that it's Washington they play. I'd be ecstatic to see the Braves in the World Series again.

I would agree that the Cardinals are going to need a lot of luck to even get to the NLCS, and if they pull that off, they're going to get it handed to them by either opponent. They were lucky game one. But they burned Flaherty with a high pitch count and still lost handily yesterday. Now Atlanta puts out one of the best road pitchers in MLB tomorrow. I wish NLDS was seven games too, you rarely see talent not prevail in a seven game series. But I'm still optimistic about Atlanta in this series, for now anyway.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 6, 2019, 02:43 AM

"muscle979 wrote:

LMAO, you can't be serious, come on. The Braves are better than the Nationals in basically every way and have proven it over and over again this season. You're overreacting to one game. These same Nationals that went into September with a chance to jump right back into the division race and instead dropped five of seven to Atlanta. If Atlanta makes the NLCS I hope like hell that it's Washington they play. I'd be ecstatic to see the Braves in the World Series again.

I would agree that the Cardinals are going to need a lot of luck to even get to the NLCS, and if they pull that off, they're going to get it handed to them by either opponent. They were lucky game one. But they burned Flaherty with a high pitch count and still lost handily yesterday. Now Atlanta puts out one of the best road pitchers in MLB tomorrow. I wish NLDS was seven games too, you rarely see talent not prevail in a seven game series. But I'm still optimistic about Atlanta in this series, for now anyway.

I could be bumping the Nats too much but it would be because of their September and August not last night's game. I also think their starters Scherzer, Corbin Strasburg are ignificantly better than Atlanta's starters and if they are going to use these guys in the bullpen then I think it solves some of their bullpen problems which was their only weakness.

Postseason baseball isn't like regular season. You just need two really dominant starters and if you can get three so much the better. The rest of your starters go the pen and that helps immensely.

I might have bumped the nats too much but I have to see it before I concede it

For what it's worth I think soroka beats wainwright and the Braves advance 3-2



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

muscle979muscle979Forum Veteran
Oct 6, 2019, 08:23 AM

"adamprez2003 wrote:

I could be bumping the Nats too much but it would be because of their September and August not last night's game. I also think their starters Scherzer, Corbin Strasburg are ignificantly better than Atlanta's starters and if they are going to use these guys in the bullpen then I think it solves some of their bullpen problems which was their only weakness.

Postseason baseball isn't like regular season. You just need two really dominant starters and if you can get three so much the better. The rest of your starters go the pen and that helps immensely.

I might have bumped the nats too much but I have to see it before I concede it

For what it's worth I think soroka beats wainwright and the Braves advance 3-2

Our starters aren't big names like theirs (except maybe Keuchel I guess), but their performance this October so far has been comparable if you look at it side by side. We'll see how the young Soroka does this afternoon in St. Louis. He's been a special talent so far at his age.

muscle979muscle979Forum Veteran
Oct 7, 2019, 01:41 PM

I had no idea Adam Wainwright could still pitch that well.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 8, 2019, 01:44 AM

"muscle979 wrote:

I had no idea Adam Wainwright could still pitch that well.

that was a clinic. unbelievable. and soroka too. he hung in there puitch for pitch, inning for inning. and he looks like he's 16 on that mound. ice in his veins. game five coming up. all arms on deck



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 11, 2019, 06:32 PM

Crappy end to Atlanta vs st louis. That was the best series.of the four and it's a shame it was over after the first inning.

Love the fact that Houston went five and verlander looks human. Think the yanks take it but you never know

Nationals with the upset. Dodgers soft again in the playoffs

Yankees with the only sweep. Set up nicely for the ALCS



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 11, 2019, 06:33 PM

I guess I'm pulling for Houston the rest of the way. :confused2:

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 12, 2019, 01:47 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I guess I'm pulling for Houston the rest of the way. :confused2:



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 12, 2019, 06:07 PM

Sherzer vs wainwright is just awesome. If you love pitchers duels this is a great game



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 13, 2019, 09:47 AM

Mr October- San



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Oct 14, 2019, 06:37 PM

Man I was just looking at Tim Tebow and his minor league stats for the heck of it, hes almost worse at Baseball than Football. As far as professionals go. Obviously hes better than random dudes.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 14, 2019, 07:22 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

Man I was just looking at Tim Tebow and his minor league stats for the heck of it, hes almost worse at Baseball than Football. As far as professionals go. Obviously hes better than random dudes.

Obviously it was always just a publicity stunt, designed to get certain people more interested.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 15, 2019, 11:48 AM

Even though severino has pitched well since coming back from injury, he still isn't strong enough to go many innings meaning the Yankees will probably have to go bullpen early. Yankees probably lose game three.

The Yankees are praying game 4 is rained out. Rain is supposed to come. If it is they can throw a rested Tanaka game 4. If the game is played tomorrow then both teams will throw their bullpens which will probably favor the Astros again.

Yankees are facing a must win either game 3 or 4 and they are clearly the underdog in each. Giving away yesterday's game could be very costly



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 15, 2019, 12:27 PM

I have no love for the Nationals, but watching them destroy the Cards is beautiful. I'll be rooting for them in the Series.

adamprez2003adamprez2003Forum Veteran
Oct 15, 2019, 01:12 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I have no love for the Nationals, but watching them destroy the Cards is beautiful. I'll be rooting for them in the Series.

you and the country i think. Other then Yankees or Astros fans or NL EAST rivals the whole country will probably be rooting for the Nationals. And they have a chance. They have the bats and starting pitching to compete and their bullpen is improved with the playoff roster. And it looks like they will be very rested whereas their opponent may be more tired



2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock

Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Oct 15, 2019, 01:37 PM

"AGuyNamedAlex wrote:

Man I was just looking at Tim Tebow and his minor league stats for the heck of it, hes almost worse at Baseball than Football. As far as professionals go. Obviously hes better than random dudes.

Lol hes doing it for fun mostly... he makes more money being a Pastor like Joel Osteen does than he does playing baseball and working at the SEC Network/college gameday... theres rumblings of him getting his one hour televised sunday mass program coming in the future.. hes working his way there, and hes got a huge following

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Oct 15, 2019, 04:37 PM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Lol hes doing it for fun mostly... he makes more money being a Pastor like Joel Osteen does than he does playing baseball and working at the SEC Network/college gameday... theres rumblings of him getting his one hour televised sunday mass program coming in the future.. hes working his way there, and hes got a huge following

"Vertical Limit wrote:

Lol hes doing it for fun mostly... he makes more money being a Pastor like Joel Osteen does than he does playing baseball and working at the SEC Network/college gameday... theres rumblings of him getting his one hour televised sunday mass program coming in the future.. hes working his way there, and hes got a huge following

That's interesting actually, but damn the world doesnt need another mega preacher. I'm not sure I could dislike Tebow more (his personality is exactly the guy you want to punch in the face as far as I'm concerned) but that might do it lol

Edit: When I say dislike I just mean wouldnt want to hang out with. I dont carry anger towards Tim Tebow around lol