2017 Draft
30 repliesPinned
Just for fun, and because there is absolutely nothing else to do, I like to pick a few college players before the season starts and kind of "peg" them as Dolphins 1st rounders.
For the record...I have no "special tape watching skills"...I don't have any pedigree. I wasn't a college athlete. I am not a scout, I don't break down film, I just watch games. I just go by what I think. I am probably wrong more than I am right, so know that going in. I am rank amateur doing this for pure fun. I know there are plenty of people on here that do this for more than a hobby. So with that fully disclosed, here I go.
I don't think (I sincerely hope) that we won't be in position to pick Myles Garrett from A&M...if we are in that position, we might be looking at QB with the first pick.
So I am going to skip him and go to Derek Barnett from Tennessee. He's an outstanding pass rusher and I think he'll play the run well. I think we'll be looking to get younger at DE, regardless of how Wake, Williams, and Jones perform. He was disruptive last year in the games I saw (Alabama, Oklahoma, and some other team now, I forget).
On the offensive side of the ball, I am thinking Nick Chubb might be there. Again, I hope we aren't in position to pick Fournette, who will get chose early, even though hes a running back.
At CB, I'll be watching Desmond King from Iowa. He was good in the few games I saw Iowa play. His stats might go down this year, because I think last year no one stayed away from him and he really stood out.
Not sure we'll pick any OL...though it never hurts to get an interior lineman in the draft.
I like Jalen Reeves-Maybin from Tennessee as well. I would think he's an ILB in the NFL but who knows...he's a bit on the small side, but he is a tackling machine. He has good speed and instincts.
There are several good prospects at OLB...I like Carraway from TCU. He played well in the couple of games I watched. He's probably a third rounder or so...but, anyway.
Thanks for indulging me. I read a lot, I don't post much.
I'm looking at RB Dalvin Cook from FSU. He fits the type and style of RB that I prefer much better than Fournette does. Until Ajayi proves to me that he can be a play making, 1200+ yard back in the league, RB is going to be a big need to me.
There is a lot to like about Cook. He's big, strong, and can run from you. I think Fournette is probably better, but either way, they're both excellent players. There are four RBs that could be first rounders, with Chubb and McCaffery joining these two.
I've never seen McCaffery play, I've just seen whats been written about him. I'll keep an eye on him this season, but from what I understand, he seems to be more of a Reggie Bush type than a guy who will be able to touch the ball 300 times a season.
"Redwine4all wrote:
Just for fun, and because there is absolutely nothing else to do, I like to pick a few college players before the season starts and kind of "peg" them as Dolphins 1st rounders.
For the record...I have no "special tape watching skills"...I don't have any pedigree. I wasn't a college athlete. I am not a scout, I don't break down film, I just watch games. I just go by what I think. I am probably wrong more than I am right, so know that going in. I am rank amateur doing this for pure fun. I know there are plenty of people on here that do this for more than a hobby. So with that fully disclosed, here I go.
I don't think (I sincerely hope) that we won't be in position to pick Myles Garrett from A&M...if we are in that position, we might be looking at QB with the first pick.
So I am going to skip him and go to Derek Barnett from Tennessee. He's an outstanding pass rusher and I think he'll play the run well. I think we'll be looking to get younger at DE, regardless of how Wake, Williams, and Jones perform. He was disruptive last year in the games I saw (Alabama, Oklahoma, and some other team now, I forget).
On the offensive side of the ball, I am thinking Nick Chubb might be there. Again, I hope we aren't in position to pick Fournette, who will get chose early, even though hes a running back.
At CB, I'll be watching Desmond King from Iowa. He was good in the few games I saw Iowa play. His stats might go down this year, because I think last year no one stayed away from him and he really stood out.
Not sure we'll pick any OL...though it never hurts to get an interior lineman in the draft.
I like Jalen Reeves-Maybin from Tennessee as well. I would think he's an ILB in the NFL but who knows...he's a bit on the small side, but he is a tackling machine. He has good speed and instincts.
There are several good prospects at OLB...I like Carraway from TCU. He played well in the couple of games I watched. He's probably a third rounder or so...but, anyway.
Thanks for indulging me. I read a lot, I don't post much.
Phins should seriously consider getting a DE in both the first AND second rounds.
I could not agree more...I would have no problem drafting two DEs early in 17.
Haven't visited the DEs yet. Got a rough RB ranking started though.
Cook
Fournette
McCaffrey
Jalen Hurd, Tenn
Samaje Perine, OK
Wayne Gallman, Clem
Sony Michel, UGA
Elijah McGuire, UL Lafayette
Kareem Hunt, Toledo
Jarvion Franklin, Western Mich
Nick Chubb, UGA
Corey Clement, Wisc
James Connor, Pitt
Alvin Kamara, Tenn
Justin Davis, USC
Deveon Smith, Mich
A few of these guys will rise heavily if they return to pre-injury form ..... and I still need to find spots for Elijah Hood and Royce Freeman. Jovan Robinson was dropped from my ranking after being released from Auburn.
This is like 4 draft classes worth of running backs compressed into 1.
Perine is a stud. Not sure about his ht/wth tho.
"Redwine4all wrote:
Perine is a stud. Not sure about his ht/wth tho.
I've seen people knock Perine or call him overrated but I don't see it.
Wow...James Washington of Oklahoma State...DAYUM.
Watch his game against TCU. Crazy. Watching him makes me want to watch a LOT more of him.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
Is it me, or does Hurd look a lot skinnier than Henry did? I know he's listed at 240 lbs, but sometimes colleges will inflate those numbers. 6'4" is crazy tall for a RB either way. As a former Tennessee student, I watch a fair amount of their games, and though he's effective and athletic, he looks more like a NBA player sometimes than a back. He reminds me more of Eric Dickerson or Chris Warren.
"ckparrothead wrote:
Wow...James Washington of Oklahoma State...DAYUM.
Watch his game against TCU. Crazy. Watching him makes me want to watch a LOT more of him.
IDK, kinda reminds me of ex Oklahoma Stater, Justin Blackmon. Nice gait and seems really comfortable catching the ball. Might be underrated aye as DraftScout's 11th ranked junior WR.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
Is it me, or does Hurd look a lot skinnier than Henry did? I know he's listed at 240 lbs, but sometimes colleges will inflate those numbers. 6'4" is crazy tall for a RB either way. As a former Tennessee student, I watch a fair amount of their games, and though he's effective and athletic, he looks more like a NBA player sometimes than a back. He reminds me more of Eric Dickerson or Chris Warren.
No, Hurd doesn't quite look like an NFL linebacker like Henry...... and yes he's crazy tall.......... but he's powerful & angry, runs with a better center of gravity than Henry, and has better ankle flexion than Henry. Definitely a throwback player with his running style.
The thing James Washington does so well is see and adjust to the football. As well as anyone I've seen for his size. He's got a good base of skills aside from that but that's what is special about him.
Twitter: @ckparrot
3 Yards Per Carry Podcast - Featuring Boomer, Section126, and ckparrothead
threeyardspercarry.podbean.com
Im seeing Simmie Cobbs JR being projected as a late round pick...
That will change.
"The reason so many people misunderstand so many issues is not that these issues are so complex, but that the people do not want a factual or analytical explanation that leaves them emotionally unsatisfied"
Jalen Hurd jumping on a treadmill preset at 23.1 MPH. Pretty fast for 240 pounds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtVG_RATGIM
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
I've never seen McCaffery play, I've just seen whats been written about him. I'll keep an eye on him this season, but from what I understand, he seems to be more of a Reggie Bush type than a guy who will be able to touch the ball 300 times a season.
He's one of those can't-miss guys for me. His cuts are amazing. So dangerous in space that it doesn't matter how he gets the ball.
So how many of these RBs do you guys who track the draft think will go in the first round? Four would be a crazy number, right? But there is alot of RB talent on these boards.
"Redwine4all wrote:
So how many of these RBs do you guys who track the draft think will go in the first round? Four would be a crazy number, right? But there is alot of RB talent on these boards.
The immense depth of RB talent could push a couple of those potential 1st rounders into the 2nd round. The amount of RB talent in this draft is nuts. The bottom third of the starters in the NFL could conceivably be replaced, it's that strong.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
I've never seen McCaffery play, I've just seen whats been written about him. I'll keep an eye on him this season, but from what I understand, he seems to be more of a Reggie Bush type than a guy who will be able to touch the ball 300 times a season.
McCaffery is awesome. You must see some of his games this year as he will blow you away. He is versatile and tremendously talented in both punt and kick returns, as well as an incredible RB that can do it all out of the backfield exceptionally well. He should have easily won the Heisman and that is not a knock on Derek Henry at all. I really like Dalvin Cook as well....a whole lot...would be tough for me to choose between Cook, McCaffery, and Chubb but I think I would select McCaffery due to his versatility in all aspects on the offensive side of the ball as well as his versatility on special teams. I do believe that he is a junior this year though and I am pretty sure that he said he will also return to Stanford for his Senior season. If that is the case then I want Cook all the way for us.
"Unlucky 13 wrote:
I've never seen McCaffery play, I've just seen whats been written about him. I'll keep an eye on him this season, but from what I understand, he seems to be more of a Reggie Bush type than a guy who will be able to touch the ball 300 times a season.
No Reggie Bush type at all......pretty sure he had well over 300 touches for Stanford last year....and I think it was a lot more than 300......tough as nails and very durable.....Wow...go back and watch the bowl game and let me know what you think.
ILB Kendell Beckwith from LSU is a guy I'm going to keep an eye on. he Played with good leverage, shed tackles and had good speed and quick recognition when I watched him earlier


2019 DRAFT WISH LIST
1) DT Dexter Lawrence - Clemson
2) DE Jaylon Ferguson - Lousiana Tech
3) OG Chris Lindstrom - Boston College
4) CB Amani Oruwariye - Penn State
5) DE Shareef Miller - Penn State
7) C Sean Krepcz - Nevada
7) RB Wes Hills - Slippery Rock
Reporter: "Why did you fire Coach Gase?"
Ross: "Because he wants to win now"
This Walker kid from FSU is a beast.
It's what you learn after you know it all that counts. ~ John Wooden
The Dolphins have been very pleased with linebacker Kiko Alonso and current sentiment would to re-sign him and upgrade over Jelani Jenkins and replace injured Koa Misi.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article111568617.html#storylink=cpy
Jalen Hurd is a head case. If it's not about Jalen Hurd, Jalen Hurd doesn't want anything to do with it. Let's see how he pans out as a TE or wideout.
In no particular order, I'd like the LB position to be shored up (in and out). Kiko has gotten better, but he seems so slight and I'm afraid of his injury history.
I think Xavien Howard is going to be solid, and I am really digging Lippett, but I think you have to at least look at safety. Reshad may be a beast, but he's getting on up there. Not sold on Wait Aikens.
I agree on DE. It would help significantly if Jordan can be productive, and from all accounts, he's likely to be only a DE. I'd like this position as well.
I'd look at the tackle positions as well as G. There's a lot of money tied up at the line, and I could see someone like Albert being moved.
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
~Henry David Thoreau