2016 MLB Season Thread

363 replies

FinSaneFinSaneForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2016, 10:51 AM

Very sad day indeed.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 25, 2016, 12:20 PM

Ugh what awful freaking news.

AGAGuyNamedAlexForum Veteran
Sep 25, 2016, 12:59 PM

Wow...I feel horrible inside. What a terrible thing for so many people...friends, fans and especially family. Wow.

JShadyJShadyNew Member
Sep 25, 2016, 10:39 PM

I loved Fernandez, he was my favorite mlb player and I don't really like baseball unless he was pitching that day or night...I feel like I lost a brother or cousin.

MAMaingeForum Veteran
Sep 26, 2016, 07:08 AM

God ****ing dammit, why?

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Sep 26, 2016, 08:47 AM

It really is a nightmare. Its one of those things... this morning when i woke up i searched his name to see if what yeaterday happened was true or was it a bad dream

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Sep 28, 2016, 10:50 PM

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17662846/chicago-cubs-agree-5-year-contract-extension-theo-epstein-president-baseball-operations

The Cubs have worked out a five year extension with team president Theo Epstein, reportedly worth 50 milion dollars. They also extended the contracts of GM Jed Hoyer and VP of player development Jason McLeod, who are the #2 and #3 guys in the team's power structure. However, either of those could still move to another club if they were offered a promotion.

For Theo, it should allow him to preside over the team while it reaps the fruits of his labors building it from the ground up over the next few years and be around to see some good times on the North Side. Hopefully, he can continue to work his magic and restock the team with young players as some of the older ones move on when their time comes.

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Sep 28, 2016, 11:46 PM

That was an epic choke job by the sox in the 9th . I get that they were notified that they clinched... but lose like that against the enemy? Sheesh

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 29, 2016, 11:04 AM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/17662846/chicago-cubs-agree-5-year-contract-extension-theo-epstein-president-baseball-operations

The Cubs have worked out a five year extension with team president Theo Epstein, reportedly worth 50 milion dollars. They also extended the contracts of GM Jed Hoyer and VP of player development Jason McLeod, who are the #2 and #3 guys in the team's power structure. However, either of those could still move to another club if they were offered a promotion.

For Theo, it should allow him to preside over the team while it reaps the fruits of his labors building it from the ground up over the next few years and be around to see some good times on the North Side. Hopefully, he can continue to work his magic and restock the team with young players as some of the older ones move on when their time comes.

Red Sox completely dropped the ball in letting Theo go to Chicago. He should have been promoted President of the Sox back in 2011.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 29, 2016, 11:05 AM

"Vertical Limit wrote:

That was an epic choke job by the sox in the 9th . I get that they were notified that they clinched... but lose like that against the enemy? Sheesh

Who cares, it was just one game that turned out to be meaningless. The Sox are probably the 2nd best team in baseball behind the Cubs, I think they can get over losing that game.

finyank13finyank13New Member
Sep 29, 2016, 06:05 PM

Hey all, new job and I have been jammed beyond belief......

Surely do miss baseball chatter.

Wonder if Sanchez can keep up this output next year.....remember the first dynasty started when Posada got good....

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Sep 30, 2016, 09:43 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

Hey all, new job and I have been jammed beyond belief......

Surely do miss baseball chatter.

Wonder if Sanchez can keep up this output next year.....remember the first dynasty started when Posada got good....

You not being around stinks, just quit your job and post messages all day.

Regarding Sanchez, no I would highly doubt he'd be able to hit a home run every 10 at bats like he's been doing, that would be approximately 50 home runs as a catcher. He looks like he's going to be a very good offensive player though. The kid obviously has power. I wonder if the Yankees decide his bat is more important and move him to 1st or DH though to keep him healthy and fresh as he's not a very good defensive catcher, although has a strong arm.

Unlucky 13Unlucky 13Supporter
Oct 1, 2016, 09:02 PM

I watch close to zero AL baseball, I just see highlights. How is Sanchez at calling a game, handeling pitchers and receiving the ball? Is he actually a good catcher, or just a good hitter who plays catcher? If its the latter, I'd say they should move him to 1B, LF or DH to get his bat into the game as much as they can.

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Oct 1, 2016, 11:21 PM

"Unlucky 13 wrote:

I watch close to zero AL baseball, I just see highlights. How is Sanchez at calling a game, handeling pitchers and receiving the ball? Is he actually a good catcher, or just a good hitter who plays catcher? If its the latter, I'd say they should move him to 1B, LF or DH to get his bat into the game as much as they can.

He has a very good arm but is a bad receiver, which has been his mo for years. No clue about his game calling or handling the pitchers.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Oct 2, 2016, 01:13 AM

He seems to be ok calling a game and has a decent arm. The bigger problem for NYY is their lack of pitching and pitching prospects after Tanaka and the poor crop of FA SP's this year does them no favors. They really need to hope Pineda finds his mojo again because he was a major dissappointment I think for them.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Oct 2, 2016, 01:37 AM

3 thoughts on the playoffs this year for my Mets..and 1 in general.....

1) I really hope the Mets get the cards in the playoff game. I want no part of Bumgarner in a one game playoff. Or any kind of playoff. He finds another gear. Last time out against NYM the mets got him for 7 runs in what turned out to be Degroms last start of the year but that was more runs then they scored off Bumgarner in the previous six outings against him. And the Mets still owe the Cards for 06. That was our title you dweebs :tantrum:

2) Who would have thought that at the beginning of the year the mets would make the playoffs with a starting staff of Syndergaard (pitching with bone spurs in his elbow), 43 year old Colon, some guys named Seth Lugo and Robert Gsellman and no real 5th starter for the last 2 months of the year? Raise your hand. Thought so. No Harvey, DeGrom, Matz or Wheeler. Lugo has an era that is half of what it was at AAA Vegas and Gsellman probably needed another half year of minor league ball. But they've both pitched well.

3) Mets starting line up opening day vs what they have there now....
C: Travis D'Arnaud vs Rene Rivera - Sure TDA still gets some starts but he can't throw out runners and Adam Wainright actually has more RBI then TDA which is pretty sad. Rivera is ancient but at least gives you defense and calls a good game.
1B Lucas Duda vs James Loney - Duda just returned about two weeks ago from a back injury that kept him out since early May. Loney stabilized the position even if he's not a prototype 1B and gave solid D.
2B Neil Walker vs TJ Rivera - Walker now needs a walker after back surgery. He played fine but Rivera has been the gap hitting godsend for this team. They made the mistake of letting Murphy walk...Rivera finished second in the PCL in BA behind teammate Brandon Nimmo and should be starting next year at 2B.
3B David Wright vs Jose Reyes - Wrights career might be over. Reyes career has been resurrected with the mets who badly needed a lead off guy (and Granderson has been much better out of the lead off spot)
SS Asdrubal Cabrera healthy vs Asdrubal on one knee - He's had to be DL'ed 2x with the same knee issue and benched for a few other spurts (I.e two or three games here and there) but he's been awesome. Best signing in FA of the Alderson tenure.
LF Conforto vs Cespedes - After Conforto bombed and Cespedes missing a few weeks with a calf injury that's still barking this ended up being the best move for the team
CF Cespedes vs Granderson - Shifting Granderson to CF was necessary because of Cespedes and Lagares being hurt. And it was the only way to create a spot for Bruce in RF. Sure the defense takes a hit, but again this team was starved for offense
RF Bruce vs Granderson - Again necessary because of injuries and needing another bat. But Bruce looks like he may finally be alive again this last week after 2 useless months.

Basically what I'm saying is...watch out next year if this teams healthy. But we aren't done with this year yet either.

Lastly....I'm gonna say this once....if it don't happen for the Cubs this year, it's never happening. The entire staff that shut down the Cubs is hurt. The Nats staff is banged up. They may avoid Bumgarner and Cueto if things right fall right. The Dodgers scare no one IMO. Seriously, if they don't get it done...yikes.

LILiferYankNew Member
Oct 2, 2016, 09:05 AM

"finyank13 wrote:

Hey all, new job and I have been jammed beyond belief......

Surely do miss baseball chatter.

Wonder if Sanchez can keep up this output next year.....remember the first dynasty started when Posada got good....

Keep up would put him near Bonds on roids like pace... Of course that wont happen but he is better then i thought it was.. Call it aftershock from Montero i guess.

LILiferYankNew Member
Oct 2, 2016, 09:07 AM

"Ray Finkle wrote:

He has a very good arm but is a bad receiver, which has been his mo for years. No clue about his game calling or handling the pitchers.

He has handled the pitching staff very well... Even the headcase Pineda at times.

If he ends up being Posada+ with a bat and better defensively i will take it ;)

LILiferYankNew Member
Oct 2, 2016, 09:11 AM

"Boik14 wrote:

He seems to be ok calling a game and has a decent arm. The bigger problem for NYY is their lack of pitching and pitching prospects after Tanaka and the poor crop of FA SP's this year does them no favors. They really need to hope Pineda finds his mojo again because he was a major dissappointment I think for them.

Diehard always optomist Yankee fan here and i had very low expectations for this year or for that matter next year. That being said Yankees certainly have some interesting prospects. I havent given up on Severino or Judge and Sanchez looks like the real deal. Hicks has been playing better recently. I see him as a damn good 4th OF and with the injury and performance issues with Ellsbury and Gardner he will be a valuable piece. Castro and Didi have been worth it will Didi growing up fast. Issue is for part of the year they were near the middle or heck hitting 4th hopefully if Judge gains some confidence they can be hitting 7th or 8th.

Yankees just have to be patient. If i dont hear the name Randy Levine during the off season i will be damn happy.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Oct 2, 2016, 09:22 AM

"LiferYank wrote:

Diehard always optomist Yankee fan here and i had very low expectations for this year or for that matter next year. That being said Yankees certainly have some interesting prospects. I havent given up on Severino or Judge and Sanchez looks like the real deal. Hicks has been playing better recently. I see him as a damn good 4th OF and with the injury and performance issues with Ellsbury and Gardner he will be a valuable piece. Castro and Didi have been worth it will Didi growing up fast. Issue is for part of the year they were near the middle or heck hitting 4th hopefully if Judge gains some confidence they can be hitting 7th or 8th.

Yankees just have to be patient. If i dont hear the name Randy Levine during the off season i will be damn happy.

I like their bats a lot. Judge will be fine as long as he learns to make more contact. The bats wont be the nyy problem.

LILiferYankNew Member
Oct 2, 2016, 09:34 AM

"Boik14 wrote:

I like their bats a lot. Judge will be fine as long as he learns to make more contact. The bats wont be the nyy problem.

Yep i think Sanchez's success actually hurt Judge as he was already a free swinger and probably thought he had to had to keep up.

Yankees really need Judge to succeed. If he reaches his potential he will have alot of 0-4's but will still be one of those players that pitchers are not looking forward to pitching to.

I see alot of Chris Davis in him. I'm hoping for that over say a Mark Reynolds.

Boik14Boik14Supporter
Oct 2, 2016, 01:03 PM

"LiferYank wrote:

Yep i think Sanchez's success actually hurt Judge as he was already a free swinger and probably thought he had to had to keep up.

Yankees really need Judge to succeed. If he reaches his potential he will have alot of 0-4's but will still be one of those players that pitchers are not looking forward to pitching to.

I see alot of Chris Davis in him. I'm hoping for that over say a Mark Reynolds.

I see Judge as an Adam Dunn. Expect 3 outcomes...HR, K, or BB. I think he will be fine. Perfectly normal to press early on especially when you're young and another player, Sanchez is doing some unprecedented things

Nappy RootsNappy RootsForum Veteran
Oct 2, 2016, 06:29 PM

"Boik14 wrote:

I see Judge as an Adam Dunn. Expect 3 outcomes...HR, K, or BB. I think he will be fine. Perfectly normal to press early on especially when you're young and another player, Sanchez is doing some unprecedented things

He doesn't have the swing ability of Dunn....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vertical LimitVertical LimitForum Veteran
Oct 2, 2016, 07:41 PM

He is another Mark Reynolds...

Ray FinkleRay FinkleNew Member
Oct 2, 2016, 08:26 PM

"LiferYank wrote:

He has handled the pitching staff very well... Even the headcase Pineda at times.

If he ends up being Posada+ with a bat and better defensively i will take it ;)

So you'll take Sanchez being a border line HOFer? Got it haha. That's some big expectations, Posada was pretty underrated.