1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2013 Draft Prospects : Keenan Allen

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by 2socks, Dec 29, 2012.

1. 2socks

2socks Rebuilding Since 1973

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    Check out the link; select the #1 WR prospect

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospectrankings/2013/WR

2 of these guys got us taking Allen with the 21rst pick. Does anyone know anything about this guy. Does he fit in our scheme?

He is supposed to be a prototypical west coast #1 receiver. I don't know about this, he doesn't seem to have great speed.

Pandarilla likes this.
  2. Pandarilla

Pandarilla Purist Emeritus

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    good size 6' 2-3", very dynamic if you've seen his youtubes. It was a tossup between him and Robert Woods of USC, but Woods fell the eff out. Scouts say he is perfect for WCO. Probably the least risky at 21. He had a down year because of quarterbacking, which is good news for us if he falls that far...Terrance Williams from Baylor also stands out in regards to not having RGIII, but he has put up huge numbers and remains a mystery due to his relatively slow 40 time.

Bpk likes this.
  3. GMJohnson

GMJohnson New Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Ill take any of them.

BlameItOnTheHenne likes this.
  4. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Justin Hunter from TEN intriques me. The thing is there is no clear standout, like the AJ Greens, Calvin Johnsons, oetc. Seems like a mediocre bunch for one of our biggest needs. Hard to pick out which one can dominate. We know one will, Austin, Patterson, Hunter, Allen, someone will stand out. Hopefully we draft him.

Pandarilla likes this.
  5. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    There are so many receivers with 2nd rd. grades I'd be tempted to trade back into the second for four picks. Take a couple wideouts, a safety(raf's suggestion) and a whatever...

ToddPhin likes this.
  6. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    I don't agree. He fits this O to a tee and is always open. I'll take him.

Pandarilla and Stitches like this.
  7. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    I admit to not seeing him play more than 6 times the past two years, but I like what I've seen, though I don't like him as much as T. Williams (Baylor). I'd be happy if we took him.

Pandarilla likes this.
  8. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I have him as the #1 prospect at this point..

His size/pass catching ratio is the best of the class imo..keeps focus in traffic situations, has very good overall athleticism, and ability after the catch, I wouldn't take the speed element of another receiver over his overall skillset.

9. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I'd be happy with Allen or Hunter. (In my fantasy, of course. It'll never happen.)

10. Pandarilla

Sep 10, 2009
    Boone, NC
    Yup, exactly. If Hunter puts up a good 40 time, he'll be top three WR.

11. Stringer Bell

Stringer Bell Post Hard, Post Often Club Member

Mar 22, 2008
    Best WR in this class IMO. I also really like Dobson from Marshall.

12. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Good discussion. I've been over the moon about Stedman Bailey as my favorite receiver in the draft, and he still is, but Keenan gives me pause because he simply has more physical tools (while Bailey just is a TD machine regardless).

I took a better look at Keenan today and here are some notes I took while watching his targets:

Keenan Allen, WR Cal (Games Watched: 2012 - Ohio State, USC, UCLA, 2011 - Stanford, Oregon, USC, Texas, Washington)

- pushes CB over to catch ball... love that determination (should have been offensive PI though)
    - nice extension on high catch, knowing he'd get hit.. hangs on
    - soft hands, plucks ball out of air well
    - catches in stride and does not stop.. YAC every time, though not a big threat to house it off short catches
    - catches well while tightly covered
    - a bit of Michael Irvin physicality (will push off a bit)
    - can play perimeter and slot
    - will put his head down like a RB to drive for yards when vying for a first down
    - runs great slants and screens
    - amazing first step, quick twitch to beat CBs at LOS
    - strong, great leg drive
    - could get better separation
    - good technique turning CBs the wrong way on fades and posts
    - down 27-9 to USC with 5 minutes left in 4th and Allen still giving 110% on plays. Love to see that.
    - elusive
    - catches ball well over the shoulder too. can make all the catches: low, high, short bullets, long raonbows, timing catches without breaking stride, toe tap sideline catches, etc.
    - goes up over CBs to make sideline catches
    - great body control, in air, and also in controlling how he is hit/not hit (I seem to recall Deion Sanders once commenting that the best athletes are able to position their bodies to take less awkward hits, because they play a half-second ahead of everyone else)
    - adapts well when a play breaks down... creates
    - can make the difficult low, diving grabto keep ball off the turf
    - high-points ball well... but inconsistently
    - would like to see how he blocks, but no footage
    - bursts upfield at the earliest opportunity with the ball, doesn;t waste time
    - can lose focus and let it affect later plays when a defender gets chippy with him
    - never quits. love that.
    - Caught from behind by Quinton Richardson, Washington Huskies' Safety... who runs a 4.34-4.40
    - I liked seeing him mature a bit. Fewer drops in 2012 than 2011, it seemed. Better focus.

Overall, he seems a low 1st round guy. And I do think he fits a WCO. To address the person who said he lacks speed, I disagree. He lacks elite speed, but he has adequate speed which, when coupled with his height, weight and physicality (shades of Irvin) plus a propensity to beat CBs off the LOS it has to scare the Safety to his side of the field.

I still would rather have Bailey, though with our higher second round pick. How can I say Stedman is a 2nd rounder, Keenan is a 1st, yet prefer Stedman? Well, the fact is Keenan may have a higher ceiling because of his attributes. But I think Stedman is simply born to play this position and make touchdowns, despite a size disadvantage that will occasionally show up for him.

I won't be upset if we take Keenan in the first, but I don't think it's the best use of our resources. We will be picking higher than I'd want to take him (13th-15th) and there are better values there at other positions, given the potential to sign a FA WR and pair him with Bailey (using the mid-round 2nd on Stedman).

2socks, ajaffe9 and djphinfan like this.
  13. Bpk

I like Keenan better than Terrance, or Cordarrelle. Not a big fan of Dobson, though he seems to have supporters.

Still, I vote Bailey on Election Day.

14. Bpk

Keenan is very well-rounded from a skillset, attitude and measureables standpoint. Not a lot he can;t do. Nor is there any one aspect of his game that is absurdly beyond the others at his position. He's a talent, but not a once-in-a-lifetime talent, not a once-in-a-decade talent, and not even a once-in-a-year talent.

In many ways, he's the 'safest' WR pick in this draft, imo, and as such perhaps Ireland goes for him. I don't necessarily mean that as an automatically good thing. I think a more creative, out of the box approach to building this roster would see that despite a less prototypical size, Stedman Bailey will cost you a lower pick, prbably give you equal or more TD production, and you could add a FA WR to make a killer duo.

15. KB21

KB21 Almost Never Wrong Club Member

Dec 6, 2007
    The intriguing thing about Keenan is that while his volume stats don't scream that he is a top 15-20 pick, his stats in comparison to the rest of his team does scream it. Keenan only had 6 touchdown receptions in 9 games on the year. That is 0.67 touchdowns per game. California averaged only 1.3 touchdown passes/receptions in the games he played in though, so he caught 50% of his team's touchdown passes. Now, is that a function of the offense, or is that a function of just how bad the surrounding talent on that team was? Probably more the latter, because last year with Marvin Jones on the other side, Keenan caught 35% of his team's touchdown passes.

16. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Just a note to add to the wide receiver discussion, but Johnthan Banks, who I feel is the #1 cornerback in the draft, stated earlier in the season that he's gone against a lot of good wide receivers but that Quinton Patton was the best he had faced.

Talk about a guy who put up ridiculous numbers against the better competition. Patton averaged 13 receptions per game for 172 yards per game and scored 7 touchdowns in 4 games against winning teams. Those 7 touchdowns were 50% of Louisiana Tech's passing touchdowns in those 4 games.

Bpk, Stitches and Zanno like this.
  17. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    I would take Eiffert over Allen, so in terms of value, the 2nd round is where it's at for receiver, there's a lot of good players including bailey.

Bpk likes this.
  18. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Eifert is the most over rated player in this draft.

19. ToddPhin

ToddPhin Premium Member Luxury Box Club Member

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I wouldn't. We need a stud receiver worse than a TE, so it'd be a mistake to pass on one with the belief we'll simply find another one we want later on despite 31 other teams in the mix. If you're gonna add a pass catcher in the 1st round, you take Allen before Eiffert, especially considering Eiffert isn't an elite prospect in the Gronkowski/Graham mold. IMO he's simply not enough of an upgrade over what's available in FA or the typical 2nd round TE to take in the 1st round WADR.

20. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Spoke with a guy that plays with Allen at Cal. Says he has his good days and his bad days… but there is no getting around the fact he is LAZY. That alone would prevent me from taking him in the 1st.

ToddPhin likes this.
  21. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    I was actually doing some homework on this guy and he is definitely very good and under the radar. May actually be one of the best receivers available.

22. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    [video=youtube;WhdVSwSPIoc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhdVSwSPIoc[/video]

23. 2socks

Nov 27, 2008
    Atlanta
    [video=youtube;L288axFqYRc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L288axFqYRc[/video]

24. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    I dont have a problem taking a guy with some baggage like Dez, for instance, b/c the intense passion and competitive desire for the game was well apparent..... but if the player is truly lazy, that's much more concerning in my eyes.

25. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    yeah, that is a huge red light for me

26. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    http://www.mercurynews.com/cal-bears/ci_21811280/cals-keenan-allen-out-be-big-game-difference

27. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1203724/index.htm

I didn't even know indefatigable was a word.

ToddPhin likes this.
  28. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    Me either. had to say it like 4 times just to figure out what it was.

29. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
  30. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;bwZ2rn8vG1A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwZ2rn8vG1A[/video]

Keenan taking a slant 69 yards to the house. This play shows his amazing quickness, agility, and footwork in the open field.

31. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;RMpi9BMi9Ck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMpi9BMi9Ck[/video]

Allen 90 yard TD against Washington.

32. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    [video=youtube;5ODJVRGfCPo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ODJVRGfCPo[/video]

Taking a reverse to the house. This guy's ability to cut at full speed is incredible. Tremendous athleticism, IMO!

33. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    That's a shame.

Zanno likes this.
  34. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Yeah, I guess his teammate who practices with him for months would lie to me. Especially when he knows that I have nothing to do with football other then being a fan of the game. I mean I would totally trust what I read on the internet before the word of someone I know and has no motivation to be untruthful with me. BTW, why would Tedford talk bad about his players in public? Do you think that would have helped him recruit players?

35. mroz

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
  36. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    KB are you advocating taking Allen a WR with the 12th pick in the first round?
    Trying to wrap my brain around that if true.

37. KB21

Dec 6, 2007
    Not yet. I've still got to study some of the possibilities before I make that decision.

38. Dol-Fan Dupree

Dol-Fan Dupree Tank? Who is Tank? I am Guy Incognito.

Dec 11, 2007
    Wow, I never thought I would see the day you would even study the possibilities

39. Den54

Den54 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 23, 2007
    AMERICA!
    See how Fatherhood can change a man for the better.

40. ToddPhin

Jul 6, 2012
    NC
    ..... or drive him to drink more..... or kill his sex life. lol