2012's P90x or whatever you are doing

114 replies

finyank13finyank13New Member
Apr 30, 2012, 09:41 AM

"DePhinistr8 wrote:

Since March of 2011, I've done 1 round of Power90, 2 rounds of P90x, 1 round of Insanity, and now I'm in week 8 of P90X2. I've pretty much used all these at home beachbody programs because by the time I get home, going to the gym and such takes a lot out of my day and family time.

I was never really in terrible shape...5'11" 182 lbs, but it was a very soft 182lbs. Now I'm at 160lbs with 7.5% body fat.

I've heard good things about crossfit..I'd like to give that a shot in the fall if time allows.

Do it....it is grand...it has a quick way of making really strong people become very humble quickly...

“If you told me A-Rod flew on a spaceship from Mars to here, I wouldn't be surprised."--thephins.com poster Ray Finkle on A-Rod

padre31padre31Luxury Box
May 20, 2012, 02:13 PM

With the college gym shutting down, I've had to workout at home after a short break to recover.

I have to say, I far prefer lifting weights to doing pushups..incline, decline, push up bars bleech!

I'd prefer just to do dumbell flies and call it a day instead of doing dozens of pushups.

ATM...46 inch chest, 16 inch arms, trying to get to 48-17-190 pds

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 10, 2012, 10:54 PM

Ugh, the lack of a bench to be able to do flies is hurting my goals:

45-16-201 pds

I've found it takes my body about 3 days to catch up if I've eaten poorly over the weekend, if I go out on the weekend and have some beer and bad food, by Tuesday my weight will have spiked up only to drop back off by Thursday.

This even with biking 6-7 miles per day at least, and that includes a 1.5 mile long ascent and a .5 of a mile up a 13% grade going home.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 22, 2012, 09:01 PM

Friday night, 9 pm, muggy and in the 80's?

Perfect time to do some hill work on the bike!

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jun 22, 2012, 09:30 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Friday night, 9 pm, muggy and in the 80's?

Perfect time to do some hill work on the bike!

Be sure to wear your garbagebag.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 22, 2012, 10:11 PM

"slickj101 wrote:

Be sure to wear your garbagebag.

Pft, winter sweatshirt, not wasting a trash bag on that..whattamImadeamoney?

:lol:

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 22, 2012, 10:44 PM

And a late night snack..microwave popcorn, no margarine, smothered in Cayenne Pepper and a touch of parmesan cheese.

Chips and doritos are the hardest thing for me to write off so this is my substitute.

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jun 22, 2012, 11:21 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Pft, winter sweatshirt, not wasting a trash bag on that..whattamImadeamoney?

:lol:

:lol: Not what it's for. Back in the day when I used to wrestle a lot of people would wear them under their clothes to make you sweat out a ridiculous amount.

Not a good idea though lol

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 22, 2012, 11:30 PM

"slickj101 wrote:

:lol: Not what it's for. Back in the day when I used to wrestle a lot of people would wear them under their clothes to make you sweat out a ridiculous amount.

Not a good idea though lol

Had a weight lifting friend who was a wrestler, he did the same stuff, cut holes in it and run 3 miles.

For me, I like getting a heavy sweat on not to "lose weight" I just feel it cleans and detoxes your systems.

Well that and going up that damn mtn side a couple times a day has veins popping out on my thighs..it is sort of freakish really.

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jun 22, 2012, 11:40 PM

"padre31 wrote:

Had a weight lifting friend who was a wrestler, he did the same stuff, cut holes in it and run 3 miles.

For me, I like getting a heavy sweat on not to "lose weight" I just feel it cleans and detoxes your systems.

Well that and going up that damn mtn side a couple times a day has veins popping out on my thighs..it is sort of freakish really.

Ya that's def a lot healthier than the garbage bag route.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 22, 2012, 11:51 PM

"slickj101 wrote:

Ya that's def a lot healthier than the garbage bag route.

I've reached the point where it is mostly maintenence on my gains (have to hit the traps a bit more, w/o proper equipment it is a bit harder to get them to peak though) and now it is time to do..gadaf..lots and lots of cardio to harden up.

3 a days on Sunday, 2 a days the rest of the week for a couple of weeks..oh joy!

FasanoPaisanoFasanoPaisanoSupporter
Jun 24, 2012, 07:20 AM

"padre31 wrote:

Ugh, the lack of a bench to be able to do flies is hurting my goals:

45-16-201 pds

I've found it takes my body about 3 days to catch up if I've eaten poorly over the weekend, if I go out on the weekend and have some beer and bad food, by Tuesday my weight will have spiked up only to drop back off by Thursday.

This even with biking 6-7 miles per day at least, and that includes a 1.5 mile long ascent and a .5 of a mile up a 13% grade going home.

I don't know if you are still without access to bench & dumbbells for flyes, but a couple of ideas if you have the material laying around the house are:

1) Bungee cords connected together to the length needed, you could lasso it around a support or a hook behind you, lean forward and use like cable crossover
2) Some rope and PVC (for handles) and make a pair of rings, similar to what crossfitters/gymnasts use, fastened to rafters or chinning bar, if you make them hang low enough you could be in pushup position but have the freedom to move your hands apart

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 25, 2012, 11:50 PM

"FasanoPaisano wrote:

I don't know if you are still without access to bench & dumbbells for flyes, but a couple of ideas if you have the material laying around the house are:

1) Bungee cords connected together to the length needed, you could lasso it around a support or a hook behind you, lean forward and use like cable crossover
2) Some rope and PVC (for handles) and make a pair of rings, similar to what crossfitters/gymnasts use, fastened to rafters or chinning bar, if you make them hang low enough you could be in pushup position but have the freedom to move your hands apart

Thanks for the tips, atm I'm doing decline and pushup bar work and it does "okay" for me.

They cut me up more then they build muscle mass. Coming off of a off 4 days, just bike each day, every day, tomorrow I get back to the work.

MikeHonchoMikeHonchoSupporter
Jun 25, 2012, 11:58 PM

Lol at this page. I just do steroids and be done with it.

Headcoach material wouldn’t want to work somewhere they’re not trusted with actual football decisions.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Jun 26, 2012, 10:49 AM

I just started this last night -

I've enjoyed his push up and pull-up programs so wanted to give this a try. Seems like a lot of super sets involving push ups, pull-ups, squats, lunges, variations of sit-ups, etc. Only take about 30 hour 3 times a week, but recommends some cardio on the weekends. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 30, 2012, 01:04 AM

Down to 201, which is really amazing considering I was 255 last yr.

Do not know if I'll make my target of 195 by the 4th of July though.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 30, 2012, 04:28 PM

199 at today's weigh in, I do believe I can hit that 195 goal by the 4th.

By the end of July I very well could weigh what I did as a Freshmen in College a loong time ago..about 184 or so.

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jun 30, 2012, 04:30 PM

Nice job man. 50+ pounds is a ****load of weight.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 30, 2012, 04:36 PM

"slickj101 wrote:

Nice job man. 50+ pounds is a ****load of weight.

Thanks Bro!

My keys were:

-Do not drink booze and eat
-an insane amount of bike commuting, I'm so locked into that I ride 10 miles per day or I don't "feel" right
-

Funny thing is, even at 255 or so, the only real noticable aspect was a double chin, I'm like 5'10 and just thick even now.

Save for the veins popping out all over my legs.

slickj101slickj101Forum Veteran
Jun 30, 2012, 04:41 PM

That's how it is once you start getting in to good shape. Once your body is in real good shape you get that mind/body link and one plays on the other.

Booze is a killer. A few weeks ago I drank beer (6-12) four different days of the week and I prob put on like 7-8lbs :lol: The other thing that goes along w/that for a lot people, is late-night eating. I'm pretty good about not doing too much of that though. I just drink like a fish at times.

That being said, once you get into really good shape you can burn off that beer weight pretty fast.

Silence

It's ******* Golden.

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jun 30, 2012, 10:54 PM

"slickj101 wrote:

That's how it is once you start getting in to good shape. Once your body is in real good shape you get that mind/body link and one plays on the other.

Booze is a killer. A few weeks ago I drank beer (6-12) four different days of the week and I prob put on like 7-8lbs :lol: The other thing that goes along w/that for a lot people, is late-night eating. I'm pretty good about not doing too much of that though. I just drink like a fish at times.

That being said, once you get into really good shape you can burn off that beer weight pretty fast.

Sometimes, as you say do not eat a lot with a stomach full of booze..think about it..booze/yeast/added carbs..fermenting in your stomach..absolutely a bleech situation..

Protein and 1 to 1 water to beer if you can manage it, for me it is 1 to 1 booze to green tea to stay hydrated.

If I'm hungry I go with a can of tuna and garlic salt/powder and salsa.

MonstBlitzMonstBlitzForum Veteran
Jul 1, 2012, 04:58 PM

Worst thing about booze for me is that it kills all ambition. After a solid weekend bender my workouts the following week are almost worthless. Add to that the fact that it makes me crave greasy terrible but delicious food and it's a double whammy.

UCF FINaticUCF FINaticNew Member
Jul 1, 2012, 10:04 PM

"padre31 wrote:

199 at today's weigh in, I do believe I can hit that 195 goal by the 4th.

By the end of July I very well could weigh what I did as a Freshmen in College a loong time ago..about 184 or so.

I finally browsed this thread lol, but that is incredible man!! I am on a similar mission of getting down to 180ish (my former HS weight when I played lacrosse). I might even want to get a little below that number too, but we will see once I get there.

I couldn't about biking. I started biking to commute to and from work and it is amazing (minus the changing clothes and sweat part lol). I have found that I arrive to work more awake and feel better throughout the day. Also as strange as it sounds I always feel like I have more energy after biking.

BTW, what kind of bike do you have? I have a crappy Magna that I am thinking about upgrading.

Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Jul 2, 2012, 08:00 AM

I have an Takara Outback 20 speed that I bought last April.

All steel which makes going up and down the mtns that much more difficult. And the part about energy was spot on UCF, we had a heat wave this week and i couldn't sleep very well but when I commute I do not feel the lack of sleep.

MonstBlitz wrote:

Worst thing about booze for me is that it kills all ambition. After a solid weekend bender my workouts the following week are almost worthless. Add to that the fact that it makes me crave greasy terrible but delicious food and it's a double whammy.

Yep, I used to be bad for going out, drinking, stop by Denny's/Waffle House/Huddle House. As I grew older I found I did not like the feeling of Booze/Full Stomach/Go to bed. Now I'll have a small bag of almonds or sunflower seed kernels.

UCF FINaticUCF FINaticNew Member
Jul 2, 2012, 06:57 PM

"padre31 wrote:

I have an Takara Outback 20 speed that I bought last April.

All steel which makes going up and down the mtns that much more difficult. And the part about energy was spot on UCF, we had a heat wave this week and i couldn't sleep very well but when I commute I do not feel the lack of sleep.

MonstBlitz wrote:

Yep, I used to be bad for going out, drinking, stop by Denny's/Waffle House/Huddle House. As I grew older I found I did not like the feeling of Booze/Full Stomach/Go to bed. Now I'll have a small bag of almonds or sunflower seed kernels.

Sad freaking day... Someone stole my bike while I was at work. Cut right through the chain and left it there on the ground. So pissed.

Thank you giovafin for this awesome Sig!