1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Sep 27, 2009.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    We will contend in 2010!
    I'm sure we will win some games & there will be better moments for Dolfandom in 2009,
    but this looks more & more like the second year of rebuilding the Franchise to me.
    Reality struck in SanDiego as it struck our QB down. It is what it is: a Rebuilding Project & we will need @ least another year to complete it.
    Personally, I have little faith in Chad Henne. He is no Dan Marino & I don't think he'll be the ultimate answer @ QB for the franchise, ditto For GinnJr. Can always hope for the miraculous return of Pennington, but it looked like a nasty injury to an already damaged shoulder.
    My expectation is that we learn, compete & continue to develop in 2009.
    We will contend in 2010!

2. Sethdaddy8

Sethdaddy8 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2007
    NJ
    i dont think pennington is in the long-term plans.

steveincolorado likes this.
  3. Bumrush

Bumrush Stable Genius Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    I think Boomer and CK should start preparing their Pre-Draft 2010 analysis :D

the 23rd likes this.
  4. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    This roster has a lot of work. We need WR, QB (possibly), TE, FB, LB's, and Safety.

In reality we don't need ALL of the above, but we need upgrades at most of them. We need to be younger and/or better at those positions.

It is just going to take time. The FO is building through the draft.

Depending on how this season goes I guess we go WR or LB first in the draft.

5. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia
    IMO, if we don't compete this season Pennington is either gone or our backup. We need to start Henne from now until the end of the season and see what we have. If Henne doesn't pan out I am a little worried about us competing next season.

steveincolorado likes this.
  6. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    Dan Marino seriously spoiled this fan base when it comes to quarterbacks. Granted this team has had average to below average QBs since Marino but everytime we get a young guy in here we expect fast results i.e Marino. It takes time for these QBs to get their feet under them.

But I will say if Henne plays poorly next week then I think we should start worrying about the quarterback of the future.

7. Brown42000

Brown42000 Chillin

Nov 24, 2007
    RI
    If Penny has another rotator cuff injury I think he retires. He had a below average arm already and another injury will make him a backup for the rest of his career or unemployed.

8. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I simply don't believe Henne will be the answer. I think he is no better than Beck, a back-up QB @ best. But we can hope.
    I think the answer will be found in next year's draft or free-agency, if Pennington does not return. lot of time to let it play out.
    never know how the worm will turn:dolphin:

9. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    There is no way we contend in 2010.

This team has so many Holes that its at least another 2 years away from becoming a consistent playoff caliber team.

I don't think the Dolphins will resign SP so if CP is out for the year this is basically a audition to see if Henne has what it takes.

10. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    I am an eternal optimist:
    We will contend in 2010!

11. CashInFist

CashInFist Well-Known Member

Nov 30, 2007
    West Virginia

We need to give our 2nd round pick (Henne) a chance...

No one knows if he will be a bust/solid starter/or Hall-of-Famer right now. He is an unknown quantity at the moment for us. Now is the time to see what he's got. 13 games. That should be enough for us to see if we need to draft, trade, or pick up another FA QB next offseason.

12. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    How can we contend if you don't think Henne is the answer? So are we picking up McNabb or drafting a QB?

13. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we just did
    but I'm sure, he'll have the rest of the season to look better
    I just see him as another #2, hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am
    however
    plenty of time to sort it out & if we are not very successful in the win/loss column
    it should afford us an excellent draft to try again next year
    don't need another Long for Ryan to haunt us

14. NolePhin

NolePhin Look out for D-Bess

Apr 27, 2009
    Davie, FL
    who is SP?

15. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    We did because CP played great and we had a relatively weak schedule. Although if we don't resign Chad Pennington how can we contend if Henne isn't the answer?

I meant Chad Pennington=CP

Simple typo....

16. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    Henne is no better than Beck? Are you kidding me? :lol: Henne can at least take a snap and hang onto the damn ball.

Pennington is done here. If he's done for the year with his injury, theres no way we bring him back next year.

2010, contend? Depends on what you think were contending for? Superbowl? Probably not. Wildcard spot? Possibly. Alot of things have to happen first though. We need some talented playmakers on this team. Especially at WR.

jetssuck likes this.
  17. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    So we get to look forward to next year after just 3 weeks? YAY

TheAnswer385 and BuckeyeKing like this.
  18. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No it actually doesn't. We don't have any more holes than teams that are 3-0 right now, but because of stupid play calling and glaring holes at certain spots we shoot ourselves in the foot again and again.

The team is clearly more talented than last year's team and it's not even close. If Henne is a decent QB for the rest of the year (70s QB rating) we have something good to build off of. Without a huge QB contract we can sign a WR, probably Braylon Edwards. He drops the ball but at least he gets open. Our losses this off-season pretty much are limited to Jason Taylor and Brown who I expect to be retained.

Hopefully we win some games to convince him to stay. Draft a OLB in the second round anyway, there seem to be a few. Never have we had a rebuilding project so easy as we will this year with a poor record. We have an offensive line great in run blocking, solid at pass blocking (needs to improve), we have two RBs to rely on for now, a DL that needs merely a NT, a ILB core that needs one, and young CBs as well as a veteran.

All in all:

- NT
    - WR
    - TE
    - FS
    - OLB
    - ILB
    - possibly QB

That's the shortest list of needs I've seen out of the Dolphins in a bad year in a while. Our list after last year wasn't any different. The difference is we're losing games this year.

Irish Phin Fan likes this.
  19. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm not even thinking about 2010, I just want to win A game in 2009 and then we can go from there. None of this "next year" stuff from me.

Up next.......Buffalo
    That's all I care about right now.

SeanP and Irish Phin Fan like this.
  20. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    I don't want to pencil in any wins because it always seems to come back and bite us in the rear. We still have a lot of games and we will win some and maybe improve a little. By next draft we will see where the real priorities are and see how they address them. Its sad that mistakes that we have made in the past in the draft and free agency are still coming back to haunt us. It appears like its going to be a long season.

21. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007

:lol: thats alot of Holes XD

22. Anonymous

Anonymous Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Jul 5, 2009
    Well, to make the list shorter, you can look at it like this.

Possible QB- Chad Henne
    FS- Chris Clemons
    TE- Anthony Fasano
    OLB- Cameron Wake

This makes our list shorter because we actually have potential at those positions. So, If you really want to think about next draft, possible candidates are: Ndamukong Suh, Terrence Cody, Dez Bryant, Arrelious Benn, and Brandon Spikes. There are more, but those are just at the top of my head right now. Then there is Free Agency, with guys like: Brandon Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Steve Breaston, Braylon Edwards, Karlos Dansby, Kirk Morrison, Demeco Ryans, and many others. Obviously, most of these stars are not going to hit the market, but point is, there is talent at the positions we need.

adamprez2003 likes this.
  23. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    No doubt and I'm not as concerned for that reason as I was in years past. We're not in the situation of 07 which speaks volumes still about Ireland in that he's provided at least something of a solid roster since that terrible year.

The talent level is night and day.

Anonymous likes this.
  24. UM_all_day

UM_all_day New Member

Aug 28, 2008
    how does FA look next year, we can hit big in the draft and what we got but if we are looking to contend we need to make a splash lol

edit
    from What I can remember don't know who has re-signed or not

HB-Sproles and Norwood
    WR-Marshall, Vincent Jackson, Owens, Antonio Bryant, Steve Breaston(RFA), Kevin Walter
    DL-Julius Peppers, Aaron Kampman, Kyle Vanden Bosch, Elvis Dumervil, Richard Seymour, Vince Wilfork, Casey Hampton
    LB-DeMarcus Ware, Shawne Merriman, Karlos Dansby, Kirk Morrison, Thomas Howard, Demeco Ryans, D'Qwell Jackson, Keith Bullock
    DB-Dunta Robinson, Carlos Rogers, Ellis Hobbs, Terrence McGee, Leigh Bodden, Stanford Routt, OJ atogwe, Nick Collins, Antoine Bethea, Darren Sharper

25. Jaj

Jaj Registered

Mar 23, 2008
    Los Angeles
    There are some fairly impressive players available. In contrast to years past a splash of one player with a 8-9m contract is in order, not so much a number of guys at 5m a year. For example adding a Kirk Morrison would pay major dividends, a Dansby etc... would be worth it to be sure.

26. LikeUntoGod

LikeUntoGod Season Ticket Holder

Nov 23, 2007
    Gainesville Florida
    We just were given a three great examples of why the modern NFL is a QB driven game. We were defeated in our first three games by three excellent QBs.

Peyton Manning: 6' 5" and 230 pounds.
    Matt Ryan: 6' 4" and 213 pounds
    Phillip Rivers: 6 '5" and 228 pounds.

Their height, weight, hand size and high draft status are no accident.

Add to that Matt Stafford bringing the Lions to their first win in 19 games.

I'm now going to spend a few days hating Nick Satan even more for wasting a 2nd and 5th round pick and drafting Jason Allen instead of trying to move up and take Jay Cutler...........................

27. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

No, the real HATE is for picking one of your 6'5" 240# type guys while letting Drew Brees, a 6' pro bowler, slip thru our fingers and giving up one of those seconds to boot while doing so!!

28. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    That's the problem with overachieving, the hopes and expectations are ridiculous for the next year. Had we played this schedule last season, it's very possible we start out 0-3 as well, or 1-2 at best.

Just like the 9-7 season under Saban, everyone expected a Super Bowl team the follwing year. We all saw the weaknesses in this team coming in, so as much as it sucks we can't really be that surprised.

29. CitizenSnips

CitizenSnips hmm.

Nov 29, 2007
    PA
    you go on about franchise qbs and then reference that we should have reached for Jay Cutler? WHAT? He's already been traded from his first team and already has 5 interceptions on the season. Not to mention the Broncos were clearly the best team in the AFC west the last two years and yet they couldn't win the division either year. Cutler's a huge part of that. Bears might be 2-1 but they don't scare anyone right now.

30. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I'm desperately trying to figure out how we're contending for anything anytime soon when the FO's strategy has mostly been to hope that the same problems we've had since last season magically go away. Outside of the best draft ever happening I doubt we contend for anything. Outside of the CB position we were set back a season by the FO doing practically nothing this year. Drafting a bunch of possession receivers, a project TE, and a luxury spread offense QB pick in the second round.

If they let Ronnie Brown walk we're pretty much doomed unless there's an outstanding back we can snag in the draft. Henne had better work out too. There are way too many ifs for me to even begin to think we're contending for anything but a top ten pick the next two seasons.

FaninPatsyLand likes this.
  31. FaninPatsyLand

FaninPatsyLand The Truth

Jun 26, 2008
    Perfectly said. I don't know how anyone could say with a straight face that we'll contend in 2010 based on what we've seen from this group the first 3 weeks.

Its delusional.

muscle979 likes this.
  32. HardKoreXXX

HardKoreXXX Insensitive to the Touch

Apr 2, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    I agree for the most part, but I think history has shown it's impossible to fill all your needs in one or two drafts. Mueller made this mistake time and again.

I'd rather have a FO that holds off on drafting a certain position because they don't feel the talent is as deep that year. (Although FTR I don't agree with the Hartline and Turner picks) 1-15 is a tough hole to climb out of.

33. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

]
    And you expected anything else this season ?? C'mon man (in the manner of Keyshawn)... Reality struck long before Penny went down... As to Henne, say what you want about him, but he's not really had a chance, has he ?? And as to Marino comparisons, there's a ton of QBs that don't match that picture, give us a break... As for Ginn, the seasons not over yet. True enough, we expect some things from him, but please don't blame him for the poor throws that came to him this game...even the misses last week weren't totally his fault. But it doesn't really matter, what matters is what happens from here on out...If Ginn ends up with 85 receptions and 1100 yrds and we don't make the playoffs, will you then say that you're disappointed in him ?? Probably so...

BTW, 23rd, I'm responding to your post, but it's not directed at you personally, but to all the naysayers of Henne and Ginn...I'm not too excited myself with either guy, since neither has shown anything consistent to date, but I'm not going to bash them until we see what they do with the chances in front of them...

There are other issues that affect the success or lack of success of both and that is the OL and the playcalling. If Henning doesn't get his head out of his azz and recall that there is such a thing as the forward pass beyond the LOS and the OL doesn't get to where we can make 3rd and short when needed and 3rd and long when needed...then what Henne and/or Ginn do won't matter...

34. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    But they only filled one need the entire offseason. One. You can do more than that. Somebody else would probaby know better than me if a good ILB was available when Pat White was picked. I know a good one was available in free agency, yet we just resigned Channing Crowder who couldn't make a big play to save his life. The only place we really had any business being content with was RB.

35. Eop05

Eop05 Junior Member Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    NJ
    I thought we'd contend in 2006, we sucked

I thought we'd contend in 2007, we sucked

I thought we'd contend in 2009, we suck

I refuse to get pulled into this fantasy world any more. It's constantly burning me.

I'd say the formula is very simple and I'll give a perfect example. The Colts without Peyton Manning are a 6 win team MAX, but they win 12 games every year because of great QB play. New Orleans is a 5 win team MAX without Brees.

Unless that's fixed and we have a guy who I ABSOLUTELY KNOW is going to succeed, I will no longer get excited for the start of a football season. We haven't had a QB who can put a team on his shoulders for 10 YEARS!!! I'm just so tired of this patchwork we try at the most important position. This refusal to give up anything significant or waste a 1st round draft pick on THE MOST IMPORTANT POSITION!

36. Hexonx

Hexonx Active Member

Sep 24, 2009
    Not that we could get him, but man I would love to have Vincent Jackson =/

37. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    patience, rebuilding takes time
    a few needs:
    1) Franchise QB
    2) Go-To WR