1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2010 or 2011 WR?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by RickyBobby, Mar 17, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    Alot of Dolfans have been crossing their fingers in anticipation or the Dolphins selecting Dez Bryant with the 12th pick in the 2010 draft.

But let me throw this out there. What about not taking Dez and look to fill other bulging needs with the first pick. The Phins could possibly trade the pick for more picks later in the draft(which I like) or just choose to go somewhere else then Bryant and instead wait till next year where there is a chance more #1 WRs coming out?

Julio Jones WR Alabama 6-4 212
    A.J. Green WR Georgia 6-4 208
    Michael Floyd WR Notre Dame 6-3 220

For this year maybe sign Coles and continue to develop our talent along with adding a recieving TE.

Fin D likes this.
  2. pumpdogs

pumpdogs Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Dude in most cases it takes 3 years to learn the postion.I do not want to wait another 4 years to contend.This a passing league now if do not get a legit #1 forget about it!

skippysphins and MonstBlitz like this.
  3. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    It's almost always foolish to "wait until next year" to fill a core position. If Bryant is there you take him. If he's not then you probably have no choice anyway.

4. RickyBobby

RickyBobby VIP DIY

Sep 22, 2009
    Palm beach
    I believe this team will contend seriously in 2 years, and i think we are assuming that Dez can be impact player from day one. But if we can pick up someone that fills a bigger need do you think it would be better assuming the possible talent in next years draft at WR.

5. mroz

mroz Fix the OL Club Member

Oct 26, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    Earl Thomas is the clear choice in the 1st round if or if Bryant is not there. Our FS play was much worse then our WR's. Besides we can always take a D Thomas in the 2nd round (yes, I think he is going to be there).

Tin Indian likes this.
  6. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Botttom line find a legit reciever some where in this draft or trade for marshall.In my opinion the jets are going to sign marshall making them the favorites in the afc.We need to beat them too the punch.

7. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    I think that the major reason that our FS play was bad was schematic issues more so than talent issues. I also think that while we're looking at E. Thomas, and rightfully so, but we're also looking at 3rd round FSs.

I don't agree that D. Thomas is likely to make it to #43 unless he runs a really slow forty.

So IMO Bryant is the clear choice if he's there. E. Thomas is the next choice.

8. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

I sure hope it’s time for a play maker. It seems most of the pundits around here believe NT and OLB are very deep and not so much star-studded within the #12 range. If Bryant and Spiller are off the board, I’d be hoping for D. or E. Thomas.

9. Skeet84

Skeet84 New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    I want Julio or A J so bad!!!! If they were both in this draft I doubt that either would last to 12

10. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Can never "wait" til next year. You never know what will happen. What makes you so sure we will have a chance to draft one of those wideouts?

11. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    need to take a our shot w/Bryant @ #12

12. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Always foolish to play for next year, IMO. We have a team that can compete this year. One of our gaping holes is WR. If we have a chance to fill that need this year we need to take it.

the 23rd likes this.
  13. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Whether Bryant is there or not, he is not going to be the pick. You can quote me and sig it if you want.

Nor are we drafting C.J. Spiller(or any other RB in the 1st).

The regime knows its needs playmakers on offense, but its real obvious the defense needs help. We lost a couple of close games because of that unit. The first pick will be on defense.

The rest of the draft therefore will be anyone's guess. I think we will take one in this draft, a guy with speed to compete with Ginn somewhere in the 3rd or 4th Round.

But we can wait until 2011 to find our #1 guy. During the season I really wanted us to find that, but I understand the defense is in dire need of attention. This goes back to Wannestedt. The regime has just about completely dismantled whatever was remaining of the D from the Wanny, Saban years and Cam years with a few exceptions, they're going to finish the job this year then find our playmakers next year. The foundation will finally be laid and we can then start adding all the neat stuff.

14. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

Why not get Henne a go to guy now and build the defense as you go?

15. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    We could grab a #1 TE in Round 2. I think TE is more important than WR actually. Unless you think Fasano, Haynos and Nalbone are going to scare anyone.

16. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

If he is there, I think you have to take Dez at 12, the kid is special, likely another Larry Fitzgerald according to Boomer's thread in Club yesterday.

If Dez goes before 12, then I agree Earl Thomas should be our pick. FS is just as important to fill as the #1 WR spot. I just can't see passing up Dez if he is there.

High Definition likes this.
  17. BLITZ

BLITZ New Member

Mar 1, 2010
    Ft. Lauderdale, FL
    I think it's imperative Miami add's a legit #1WR this off-season. I don't care how they get it done, there are no more excuses available for Ireland / Pacells anymore. They've missed out too many times already as far as I'm concerned....

18. pumpdogs

Sep 22, 2009
    delaware
    Its 2010 not 1990 and you build your team around a qb first.Get this kid some weapons so he can build on last year.If he loses his confidence we are in big trouble down the road.The qb is the most important postion in the nfl so lets go get the kid some help.

19. Killerphins

Killerphins The Finger

Nov 11, 2008
    missed out on who?
    they have said they know they need to get a wr who can give you chunk yardage but they can't create one
    the options have been pretty limited

20. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    2 things. Neither Julio Jones or AJ Green or Michael Floyd is the best WR in the 2011 draft. That would be Jonathan Baldwin of Pitt.

Secondly, you can't wait for a year. That's not the way to run a team. What if you pass on a WR in this draft because of those 4 guys in 2011 and then Baldwin has a car crash, Julio Jones is shot outside a club, Michael Floyd gives up football to further his chances of being a vet and Green tears all 3 knee ligaments in his final game? Then you're screwed. Plus, you might not be in employment in a years time. You draft for now.

PhinsRock and High Definition like this.
  21. 77FINS

77FINS New Member

Mar 18, 2010
    South Florida
    I'm not saying we should or should not draft Dez Bryant. But likely (hopefully) all 3 of those guys will be gone way before we draft next year. And if they aren't, something must have happened to make them drop.