2010 Draft Spotlight: Taylor Mays - USC

7 replies

ConuficusConuficusLuxury BoxOP
Feb 14, 2010, 03:20 PM

http://www.universaldraft.com/2010/02/14/2010-spotlight-s-taylor-mays-usc/

As a junior at USC, Mays was tipped as a top five selection and even entering the 2009 campaign, he was still being lauded as a top 10 pick at worst. However, once evaluators are able to study him play by play, I think his stock will drop considerably. The questions everyone asks is what position is he going to play? Can he play free safety and operate as a traditional ball hawking centerfielder? Will he play closer to the line of scrimmage and support the run from the strong side? Or does he have the game to play outside linebacker in a 4-3? I hope to answer all of these questions. I just want to preface the following by saying that a number of people have talked about how Taylor’s role changed as a senior and he didn’t make as many plays because of it. Well that’s partly true in that he didn’t make many plays, but the reality is that he asked head coach Pete Carroll if he could in essence play as slightly less of a pure centre fielder and, in his words, ‘put him closer to the action’. However, whilst he ended up with more tackles – 88, beating his previous best by 22 – he failed to record a sack, a tackle for a loss, a forced fumble or a pass break up.

BoomerBoomerLuxury Box
Feb 16, 2010, 09:28 AM

Damn these YouTube scouters.

I am the sweat not the swagger.

ConuficusConuficusLuxury Box
Feb 16, 2010, 09:52 AM

"Boomer wrote:

Damn these YouTube scouters.

Funny how we got the guy who did the video to change the name to ours.....every single time too. Damn we're lucky. :shifty:

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2010, 11:34 AM

"Boomer wrote:

Damn these YouTube scouters.

For those who may not read the comments section:

maestas007 (1 month ago)
0
Reply
You put together a good video of ****! way to take advantage of software to make it seem like you were someone of importance on all these "Universal Draft" videos you put on to sabatage these guys! If this was really a scout video, it would show way more highlights then what you have...I've seen them! All missing just about.

:lol:

Fascinating use of technology though, occassionally one will see a highlight reel or all the best plays, but showing the bad and the good and there is the reaction you get sometimes...

A couple of questions though:

1. Is Mays just a bad prospect or will he be an overdrafted one?

Mays in the top 15 may make no sense, Mays in the top 50 would?

2. How does Ck calculate the speed of a player from just the videos?

ConuficusConuficusLuxury Box
Feb 16, 2010, 01:08 PM

When was that?

padre31padre31Luxury Box
Feb 16, 2010, 04:02 PM

"Conuficus wrote:

When was that?

Ck mentioned it up in Club and I'm trying to nail down what Ryan Grice Mullen's actual speed is on the field.

I've seen it done for Ricky Williams as well, though not by Ck.

MRMr_KennedyNew Member
Feb 16, 2010, 07:42 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Mays but I think he could be a very good safety if he plays in the right system. He reminds me of Adrian Wilson who also struggles in coverage but is a beast as a LB/S hybrid for the Cards on 3rd downs.

sergiomiguel2sergiomiguel2New Member
Feb 17, 2010, 08:45 AM

Mays will be a top 20 pick and be a bust
someone will reach for him and they will find out he is a safety that isnt a safety
he could make the transition to LB like Davis did for Carolina, but that isnt a fast or easy transition
he is a SS, I dont think he has the ball skills to be a FS, from what I see he doesnt move that well to be a cover guy in the NFL