1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

19 New Faces on the 53 man roster

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Big Red, Sep 7, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Karlos Dansby
    Brandon Marshall
    Richie Incognito
    Jared Odrick
    Koa Misi
    John Jerry
    Nolan Carroll
    Reshad Jones
    Tim Dobbins
    Roberto Wallace
    Marlon Moore
    Pat McQuistan
    Jermey Parnell
    Joe Reitz
    Clifton Geathers
    Rob Rose
    Bobby Carpenter
    Micah Johnson
    Benny Sapp

20 if you count Ikaika Alama-Francis. That's roughly 35% of the roster. Only 33 players from 2008 returning. Wow. I was not expecting that much of a turnover.

2. FinFan316

FinFan316 Banned

Apr 3, 2010
    I agree. Hes coaching like someone who has a ten year contract. He doesnt. And he better win this year....more than last year. The owner has opened up his check book in the offseason. Eight games is the bare minimum he can and keep his job, I think. IMO, he should be on the hook for ten, but thats just me.

DolfanJake likes this.
  3. mason

mason Junior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    norfolk va
    i dont understand that arguement. wouldn't it be better to have someone coaching as if on a ten year contract? That way, the coach would take time to rebuild a roster from the top down to assure quality and competition for years to come. A long term coach would also be earlier to admit mistakes and move on as opposed to a short term coach, who would pile mistake on top of mistake on his way to a quick fix.

I prefer a coach on a longer contract. It makes them plan for many years instead of selling the farm for maybe one.

Trowa, Steve-Mo, CaribPhin and 6 others like this.
  4. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    I like the fact that this front office is building a solid foundation and taking their time. Hope fans are smart enough to have patience with them, I'd hate to see us go back to constant turnover in the coaching staff and front office that we've have in recent years.

HULKFish likes this.
  5. The G Man

The G Man Git 'r doooonnne!!!

Mar 18, 2009
    It's all about competition IMHO. You gotta earn your roster spot, otherwise you're gone. As it should be. We should be younger, faster and deeper this season.

gunn34 likes this.
  6. JimToss

JimToss Thank You Chad Pennington

Oct 11, 2009
    Delaware
    Lets call it 18 new "faces." I'm not sure what to call this.

[​IMG]

GMJohnson, Steve-Mo, Big Red and 3 others like this.
  7. AbideN703

AbideN703 Yes, I'd hit it

Jan 7, 2008
    Springfield, Virginia
    Carrot Top's brother?

8. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

But what's more amazing is that 7 or 8 of them are expected to be starters....

Big Red likes this.
  9. gafinfan

gafinfan gunner Club Member

I'm of the crowd thats saying the glass is half empty! Its year three and we don't even have a settled O-line or QB (imvho). Some things should have already been fixed yet we are still raiding the Cowboy sandbox for their castoffs. Looks to me as if we are the South Beach Cowboys, who btw, don't look so hot this year either. At least Jones and Ross have one thing in common; they are already playing in the SB together.:lol:

On a more serious note this scatter gun effect will never win us a SB. Lets coach what we have and make them better rather than throwing them away every year cause the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence!

DolfanJake likes this.
  10. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    If you want to look even more into it, only 5 starters on offense are the same as opening day last year (Brown, Polite, Fasano, Long, Carey) and technically only 2 starters are the same on defense (Langford, Bell). I know Crowder and Starks both started last year, but I'm pretty sure they are in new spots (Crowder in Ayodele's spot, and Starks at NT).

Either way 15 (or 13 even) is quite a bit of new starters/change, even for a big time college team.

gafinfan and gunn34 like this.
  11. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Worst.Mugshot.Ever.

12. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Oh by all means, why would we want a team to turn around quickly and WIN a Super Bowl. I'd much rather him take his time and then hope & pray 3 years from now he can do something other teams actually have done in ½ the time. :pity::pity::pity:

:tantrum: :tantrum: :tantrum:

We have been patient enough. We have had a legendary coach that took all the time and then couldn't cope with a salary cap. We have had a former Dallas SB winning coach who just never could understand he needed to let his superstar QB win the games for him. We then had his idiot protogé who ruined the franchise with his stubborness and stupidity. Then we had the liar, the devil himself. If that wasn't bad enough then we had quite possibly the most unready man ever to be an NFL Head Coach. Now we have this regime, and my patience is wearing very, very thin, and if I have to witness another team like Tampa Bay or Tennessee go from drafting with us a couple of years ago to winning a Super Bowl before we do, I will feel being a Dolphins fan is more like being a Cubs fan than ever.

Dude I want to win, and would prefer a coach that feels he needs to win, than one that takes his time and then fails us once again. I think Sparano needs to feel urgency !

13. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    the good news is that new faces WERE needed at each of those positions sans NT ....

i also believe that Sapp, given the current situation at CB -- could very well take over from Allen .... i would rather have him as the nickel or even a S candidate, but the situation might dictate otherwise ...... what i do know, is that it doesn't take that much to improve on Smith's play

the jury is still out on these folks ....

Reshad Jones
    Roberto Wallace*
    Marlon Moore*
    Pat McQuistan
    Jermey Parnell
    Joe Reitz
    Clifton Geathers
    Rob Rose
    Bobby Carpenter
    Micah Johnson*

*s showed that they have the potential to contribute to this team in the pre-season, regarding Ts .... we showed that we needed some new blood (and i did hold out high hopes for Gardner when we picked him up) ....

Geathers just needs to find some motivation ....

Carpenter to me is just a 'known quantity back-up for ILB and for STs' ... just in case Crowder can't go and Dobbins starts.

14. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Its actually not bad for a mug shot, however, its the:

Worst.Online Dating Profile Picture.Ever.

15. m ino

m ino New Member

Jul 20, 2008
    thats a big number for a team that should be re-tooling in their third year.there's teams rebuilding that didn't have as big a turnaround.makes me wonder about the gm a little.he has been throwing alot of money at guys that only last a year or 2 on the team.but he has done some good things aswell since here.

gunn34 likes this.
  16. ckparrothead

ckparrothead Draft Forum Moderator Luxury Box

Dec 1, 2007
    Obviously Sparano was lying when he said that he thought the 2009 team was better than the 2008 team.

You don't have that much turnover if you think you're close. You have that much turnover if you're ripping everything up and starting over again.

gafinfan and DolfanJake like this.
  17. DolfanJake

DolfanJake Banned

Jan 15, 2010
    West Miami-Dade County
    Yeah, it looks more like they are realizing that they didn't do such a hot job last year and they are trying to correct those as fast as possible. So far they haven't really hit on a single FA. If they don't get good numbers - numbers that make big differences in games - from Dansby & Marshall, you'll have to start admitting their is fundamental flaw in the ability of these guys to recognize talent that is already in the league and how that will fit in with the team they already have. That is something that will handicap this team until they are gone.

Just because Ireland has an arrogant & self-absorbed attutude. That he just acts like his stuff doesn't stink, doesn't mean its not true. Even Parcells can make mistakes, and maybe Ireland just isn't as good as he thought.

18. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Selecting FA and wasting high draft picks on projects will kill this team in the long run. Save the 5th rd and lower to draft projects like Pat White.

Big Red and DolfanJake like this.
  19. Stitches

Stitches ThePhin's Biggest Killjoy Luxury Box

Nov 23, 2007
    Katy, TX
    Randy Starks.

Lou Polite.

Davone Bess.

Dan Carpenter.

Chad Pennington.

All FA's. All hits.

Trowa, Big Red and unluckyluciano like this.
  20. gilv13

gilv13 Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2009
    I am excited about the core of guys under contract that are just entering their prime. Maybe its just me.

21. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

That is a horrible assessment. When you go 7-9, that is not a winning roster. Gettiing Brandon Marshall was a need. Replacing old and ineffective guys like JT, Peezy, Torbor, and others were necessary. Getting Benny Sapp and replacing Camarillo was a need. You say that like we were actually successful last year AND he just got rid of good players like the Jest did with Jones and Faneca.

22. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    shhhhhhhh you are ruining the moment.

CaribPhin and Fin D like this.
  23. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

So you want Nick Saban? That guy went 9-7. Then 6-10. Look at Jimmy Johnson when he went to Dallas. He traded away guys like Herschel Walker and demolished his team. Then he ended up with 3 rings. Your impatience has nothing to do with winning. If you can't be patient, become a Colts fan. Guys on this forum were around for the 1972 season and your patience is wearing thing. The Colts hadn't won in years and sucked before Peyton Manning. Then they built a team over a number of years with Peyton and eventually won a championship 9 years into Manning's career. The hubris. Oh the hubris.

24. gioknows

gioknows New Member

Sep 7, 2010
    Dansby will make a big difference and obviously so will Marshall but you're right...it's a huge turnover. I prefer more roster stability.

25. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    This post doesn't make any sense. Your acting like you want to win more than Sparano or the front office, comes off really ridiculous. They are taking their time because they don't want some phony contender that has a flash in the pan season then destroys the cap and gets 0 titles. The best teams in the league build themselves through the draft.

26. PHINANALYST

PHINANALYST Well-Known Member

Jan 3, 2008
    North Carolina
    we've discussed this, but it is harder to find the final pieces than it is to rebuild a team .... we are in the 'final pieces' mode -- meaning, we still need that game changing OLB (Wake and Misi aren't that guy), and ball hawking S (Clemons and Amaya need time) ... these are the pieces we need. (well we could keep NT on that list as well) moving Starks was a necessity, not a preplanned move as a 'solution' -- that i'll never buy.

where we haven't been very successful is signing for a need .... Pennington fell in our lap ... Marshall, Dansby and even Grove were no brainers -- and we didn't 'settle' .... it's when we have dropped down from 1st tier FAs that we have faltered .....

this FO has generally been pretty successful ... i think last years draft - they'd probably like to have back especially 2/3 rounds ... Smith, White and Turner -- sheesh .... terrible.

27. Big Red

Big Red Long Lasting Freshness

Oct 15, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Even though I am surprised by the number of new faces I am pretty happy with our core group of players. We should score a ton of points with Henne, Marshall, Long, Ronnie and Ricky on offense. Dansby, Starks, Davis, and Bell are among the best at their respective positions. I believe Odrick and Wake will prove themselves this season. And Misi has a lot of buzz surrounding him. If he is half as good as everybody is saying our defense should be one of the best in the NFL.