1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17 straight games with a turnover

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by Trowa, Oct 2, 2011.

1. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    This stat got me to wondering and I decided to do some research on the subject. I know this thread is just going to cause controversy but I didn't realize how bad the situation really is and feel that it needs to have some attention shed on it.

Chad Henne has started 32 games in his career, played in 33 counting the game he came in for Chad Pennington in 2009. In those 33 games Chad Henne has 39 total turnovers. In 2009 he had 9 games with a TO, 5 without. In 2010 he had 13 games with one and only 2 games without. And so far in 2011 Henne has 4 games with a TO and zero without. So in his professional career Chad Henne has 27 games with a turnover and only 6 without. Not only that, his first season starting, albeit 14 games saw his best differential of games with a TO to games without.

Not only does Chad Henne have more turnovers (39) than touchdowns (31) in his career, he has more turnovers than games played (33.)

Say what you want about the running game, receivers, offensive line, coaching staff, Dan Henning, etc and yes they are all contributing factors, but can we finally add Chad Henne to the list of things wrong with this team and stop pretending like it's everyone else's fault besides his? 39 turnovers in 33 games is unacceptable. You can talk about how he's improved his game this season, and that's true. But he still hasn't cleaned up the turnover issue, and just because a player is improved doesn't mean he's good.

Clipse, electrolyte and MonstBlitz like this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    He's just not good enough.

3. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    My only concern is, what is the record and can Henne break it?

Nappy Roots likes this.
  4. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I have jumped on the Suck for Luck bandwagon. The season is lost...a 3-13 record would be better for the future than a 6-10 record would. 3-13 might get Luck...but I suspect 2-14 is what the Colts may be in for. 3-13 would at least get Landry.

New coaches, new GM, new QB...fresh start. Hopefully fix O-Line/Secondary. Can only go up. There are enough talented players that this team can improve drastically in one season.

5. Phyl

Phyl New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Dood, but you play to win! It's much more fun to finish 7-9 and never draft high enough to get the elite personnel that are talented enough to win in this league!

electrolyte likes this.
  6. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    he sucks.

7. Larryfinfan

Larryfinfan 17-0...Priceless Club Member

Yeah, it was obvious today that the only reason this team is struggling is because of Chad Henne... I mean, he can't catch, he never opens a hole for a RB, certainly missed the tackle against Jackson in the 2nd qtr, let the bolts RBs have a field day in the second half of the game, and he signaled in the play that Moore threw the INT on with less than 3 mins to go....It's not a wonder we haven't won any games when Henne is so bad...

HenneNator, PhiNomina and Trillfan like this.
  8. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

For all of those numbers, we looked worse without him than with him.

9. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    We get trounced in a game that Henne barely played and it is still the only thing we can talk about?

He sucks, he's a FA and he won't be on this team next year - now can we talk about something that actually matters?

FinSane, CaribPhin and Stringer Bell like this.
  10. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    LULZ

Mention in the OP that the receivers, o-line, running game and coaches all contribute to the failures of this team, Henne backers still claim you're saying Henne is the only thing wrong with this team.

[​IMG]

11. Dorfdad

Dorfdad Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Choo Choo!!!

Henne will never be the man.. Backup QB status confirmed.

12. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    If you don't like what the thread is talking about, then you don't have to post in it.

13. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    This. The guy was in for what, 2 series and he's still going to be the topic of the week. Not how pathetic our defense was today, or the OL again, the fact that our LB's are invisible, we still dont use Reggie right, we still have a moron for a coach, and a GM who isnt really helping matters either.

While Henne isnt helping matters, neither is any unit on this team. Every single coach and player on this team is under performing. That's the just of it. All the stupid agenda's around here, supporters of one player or another, haters of another, really makes it quite unbearable at times. Henne is just another player on this team, that isnt living up to their end of the deal. NOBODY on this team is playing well. NOBODY. So who cares about the 5 minutes of football that one guy played, when this team still looked pathetic, even more pathetic actually without him.

14. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    We know it isn't just Henne. But Henne is still a mediocre QB, and you can't win with a mediocre QB. He is not the future. Move on.

New coaching, Fixed O-Line, More secondary depth.

But really people, you would rather have Henne in 2012 than Andrew Luck or even Landry Jones? I would actually like to have Henne back as a backup in a 2012. He's a free agent, but will he really be getting big offers? Doubtful. Imagine Andrew Luck starting with Henne as a backup? Let's not get ahead of ourselves though...

15. muscle979

muscle979 Season Ticket Holder

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    He barely played in this game and still had a turnover. I started him in one of my fantasy leagues and he netted me -.82 points. That will teach me.

16. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Exactly! That is why I say Marino is the most overrated player in NFL history. 242 games played, 271 turnovers.

HenneNator and steveincolorado like this.
  17. PhiNomina

PhiNomina White-Collar Redneck

Dec 21, 2007
    Cleveland, OH
    I think the point is that whether or not you think Henne is the answer - why are we talking about it 20 minutes after a game we got trounced in and he barely played?

Nothing that happened today changes anyone's opinion of Henne.

18. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Whether you intended it or not this post is a joke.

19. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Or in other words:

"Agree with me or get out"

HenneNator and steveincolorado like this.
  20. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    The best part is that his career was just compared to Dan Marino's. We're going to have to put some people on suicide watch around here in a season or two when Chad Henne moves on to be another team's backup QB.

21. steveincolorado

steveincolorado Spook, Storme & Pebbles

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    Spin it however you want, but what you just said isn't true.

22. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

So...it starts with Henne? We just watched a game in which our team looked like an exceptional piece of dog ****, but it begins with him.

I'm of the opinion that if a player plays well one week but we lose, he gets a reprieve that week. Some would have it that regardless of their performance that week, that player is always at fault. Even in a game where they barely played. And really Aqua, you anointed Moore after his first pass, you couldn't be middle ground on this if you tried. I don't expect much, but I expect us to actually focus on what happened this week.

23. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    It always begins with the most important position on the field.

24. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

What Adam was trying to say is that having more turnovers than games played is not an inherent flaw in your ability.

He wasn't comparing one to the other, he was showing the flaw in that logic (or lack thereof).

It doesn't follow logically that more turnovers than games means you're a bad player. Favre is a perfect example. There are a lot of reasons that can be brought up to prove a lack of ability, but that stat is not inherently one of them.

25. NFL2102

NFL2102 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Actually, it should begin with coaching.

26. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

I agree. Tony Sparano should have been fired a long time ago.

HenneNator likes this.
  27. AdamC13

AdamC13 Well-Known Member

May 3, 2010
    Reality is Henne's only turnover against NE came on the last play of the game in which he just put it up for grabs, but played error free football. Then last week the only turnover occurred at the end of the game on 4th and 10 in which all the WRs were well covered and he just had to force it. Had that not been 4th and 10 there is no reason to believe he forces that throw.

I am a stat guy, but they always need to be understood within the context in which they occur. Henne has played error free football in 2 games this year. He has improved.

HenneNator likes this.
  28. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    That's awesome! Plus if Marino was a elite QB, then the Dolphins should have won 5-6 Super Bowls.

HenneNator likes this.
  29. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    I don't disagree with that at all.

HenneNator likes this.
  30. Trowa

Trowa A world of pain

May 8, 2008
    Mentioned in OP that O-Line, Receivers, runnning game and coaching all contribute to the failures of this team. TRUE

Receive the same tired *** reply Henne backers always give trying to insinuate that anyone who speaks any ill of Chad Henne is clearly trying to say that 100% of the reason this team suck is his fault. TRUE

What exactly isn't true there?

Oh wait, you're right...the Jesus thing. Well we all know Jesus isn't real. It's just for effect.

31. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Amazes me that people still defend this guy. Just like Ted Ginn, who had a lot of cheerleaders making every excuse in the book until the beautiful day came that he was traded, it won't be long for Henne either.

32. brandon27

brandon27 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Windsor, ON. CANADA
    I don't care... Who cares, its been established already, nobody here thinks the guy can play. Great. Lets keep beating that dead horse. However, I dont know what to tell you, Fasano and Hartline were both there. Maybe you only see what you want to see. I saw a ball that left his hand as he was getting crushed from defensive pressure, that probably caused that ball to sail on him. It is what it is, it happens. You call it an excuse, Im just telling you what I saw. And I don't give a damn who's QB for this team, I just want to win.

33. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Unfortunately you can't talk about the Miami Dolphins anymore without talking about failure. I can't wait until there is a new coach and GM in place.

34. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Yea, it's not like Henne has made a career of forcing bad throws and terrible decisions or anything.

35. Clipse

Clipse mediocrity sucks

Sep 27, 2009
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Henne being terrible has NO impact whatsoever on our sucking. It's everyone else's fault.

36. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Can you really not see how absurd this is? They guy has not played well enough to win, sure, but the one week where he barely played, there's an entire thread devoted to him. None for Jones, Smith, Carey, Bush, Colombo.

And I seem to remember you wanting to start a ThePHINS faction in support of Chad Henne called the Head Honchos this off-season. I still have the PM actually. You've been pretty disingenuous this season so far and I really don't think you should be critical of other poster's habits.

And I myself am not a believer. But this is NOT the place to attack other people's faith. Respected members here like RevRick happen to be Christian and it's in bad taste to antagonize them unprovoked by virtue of attacking faith.

steveincolorado likes this.
  37. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Really Matt Moore probably played just as well. He made some throws, didn't make others, had some drops, and ended his game with a pick. Uncanny...

38. muscle979

Dec 12, 2007
    Evans, GA
    Anybody on the board could start a thread about those players if they want. I won't say you're wrong about people focusing on Henne a lot but nothing is stopping anybody from making threads about other players.

39. CaribPhin

CaribPhin Guest

Most don't want to because they realize the futility in starting a thread about one player when our entire team is sucking this bad.

steveincolorado and PhiNomina like this.
  40. steveincolorado

Mar 23, 2008
    Colorado
    If the thread starter didn't want other people's opinions about a certain player, then maybe he shouldn't have started at thread bashing a certain player. Mmmmmm, maybe he just wanted to start trash talking.