1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

11-5 a curse?

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by finsincebirth, Oct 26, 2009.

Tags:
  1. finsincebirth

finsincebirth Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2007
    So I rarely post, but typically read the forums and peoples reactions and see what the general feeling on our team is. I've been thinking about this for a quite awhile, and I feel like last years 11-5 record was really a curse for this team and I'll explain why.

Typically when a new coach comes in on a lousy team he implements his plan to win, and it is a 3-4 year to turn the team around. You have to bring your players in, build the core positions to replenish where you are missing talent. After the 2007 season we were a terrible team, I would argue we had almost no talent and needed to completely turn the team around. We weren't one key player from being contenders, but many.

We know Sparano's philosophy is to build the team the team from the inside out, and look let's look at the personnel we've added through the first two years. We drafted a franchise LT, drafted a mainstay RG, added a great LG, and added a decent center. You add in the fact that we already had Carey and in two years the O-line is now the most complete it's been in years. We also drafted what might be our franchise QB. Assuming Henne pans out we are one Te and WR away from being an elite offense. Obviously I don't have to mention our already studly RB's.

Now for the defense. We drafted two DE ends in Langford and Merling. Now I will admit that I work on sundays so it's rare for me to watch a dolphins game, but it seems like they have done very well. I especially heard Merling's name called quite a bit on the radio last night. I know people say we need a NT, but I don't know if it's a high priority. It seems to me that the combo of Starks, Ferguson and Solia have been doing well. (Again if I'm wrong it's because I don't get to see much of the game. ) Now we haven't really addressed the linebackers that much. Yes we signed JT again but he is only temporary. We resigned Channing but he is only adequate at MLB. We also added Wake has by far the biggest upside of them all, and remember we thought we were going to have Matt Roth. Then in the secondary we just drafted what looks like might be our two franchise CB's in Smith and Davis. Also we picked up Chris C who could be a good safety for us. In defense of our safety outlook we thought Bell would stay at his output last year, and only needed one safety. I don't think the team expected Bell to **** the bed the way he has.

All in all in my opinion these are the areas we need to address to really contend. TE, Wr, MLB, OLB, S. These are the final pieces to this puzzle, and it's very possible to finish these areas out in next years draft and FA. We've seen this year we can hang with the elite teams, but I don't think anybody would disagree (especially after yesterday) that we don' have the talent to hang finish them off. Finishing off those positions would change that. That would mean it would have taken three years to get all the cogs we needed, and that's pretty standard.

Now I know you're going to throw out names like Atlanta and Baltimore as going from bad in 07 to playoff contenders next year and still this year. While my argument is that those teams weren't as bad as us. In 05 the falcons were 8-8 and in 06 they were 7-9. So they weren't elite then but they were average. Then along comes 07 and their starting Qb goes to jail. Throw in a new coach who leaves mid year and they go 4-12. I don't know any team that can succeed like that. Atlanta replaced their Qb added a few offensive weapons and they turned around. But what if all those concerns people had about Ryan up to the draft played out? What if he didn't do something abnormal for a rookie QB? Well the falcons stay average and don't go to the playoffs.

The Ravens are different too, because they've always had a good defense. They won their Superbowl with a great defense and Trent Dilfer. They drafted Kyle Boller and they thought he was the answer but was capable of doing enough to get wins. They go 5-11 in 07, draft Flacco and notably Ray Rice. Flacco plays above a rookie level like Ryan, and you add in a good run game and stingy defense and you get a playoff team.

Other 07 teams that were at the bottom of the cellar. St. Louis, Kansas City, and Oakland are all terrible. And the 49er's are doing well by relying on a good runnng game and tough defense.

In summation of all the info I just rambled on about, it's unusual for a team to go from bottom dweller to playoff team in one year except for under some exceptions. Teams like Atlanta and the Ravens aren't the norm. It takes a few years to get going. Hell we set a record for the biggest turn around. That screams unusual for me.

Lastly the point of my thread title that 11-5 is a curse. Here's why I think so. Last year WE SHOULDN'T have gone 11-5. Like I pointed out it's unusual. We got that record because of an easy schedule due to being the leagues worst team the year before and a lot of luck. Our defense wasn't that great in 08, but it was pretty lucky. If you follow the typical pattern we should have won 4-5 games last year, and then improved upon that by winning 5-8 games last year. By going 11-5 it set the bar too high, a bar that is unreasonable to obtain because we are not there yet. And now a lot of fans feel like the sky is falling, when if we had only won 4-5 games last year we'd be happy with the improvement we are showing this year.

firedan and mbmonk like this.
  2. anlgp

anlgp ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A

You should post more.

I posted something similar to this in the club in that we're going where we need to be, but are still showing glimpses of where we are and what we used to be.

3. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Banned

Oct 8, 2009
    I know all about curses.

4. opfinistic

opfinistic Braaaaains!

Dec 7, 2007
    Peeking in Nabo's Basement
    Winning the division and going 11-5 was great, but let's not forget that if Brady had been playing last season the Pats would have given us a run for the money.

5. SeanP

SeanP Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Aug 24, 2009
    Deltona FL
    I totally agree with this post. Coming out into the year we're having where we are playing elite teams, and holding our own, I feel like we've got something special.

I really feel like we're only 3-5 upgrades away from being a contender. That is evidenced by the way we played last night. If we had a TE or a #1 WR out there to make catches, or had a Safety that could play consistently, or an ILB who can pull off good pass protection, we'd have won that game.

That game was our game until Henne's pick at the end, and that pick as alluded to in his presser was on him due to desperation of getting the ball away. What I took away from this game is that we're not there yet, but the people we have that are good solid parts of the team are young, and we've got plenty of time on our side.

6. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I think that was definitely evident last night. All those drops in the clutch moments killed us. NO was sending the house during the wildcat daring us to pass and we did at the right moment, and it was huge but then Fasano dropped it. That last drive was full of drops.

I think if for some ungodly chance Eric Berry is available when we pick we take him immediately. Or if not depending on where we are.

I would like to see our defense look like this next year:

Davis Bell Berry Smith

Porter Channing (Insert Here) Wake/Taylor

Merling Solia/Starks/Whoever, Langford

OR

Davis, Bell, Clemmons/(Insert Here) Smith

Porter Channing Spikes Wake/Taylor

Merling Solia/Starks/Etc Langford

I think if we get one of those two combinations the defense would be significantly different.

7. Dolphins1Beatles

Dolphins1Beatles Ziggy Stardust

Oct 9, 2009
    New York
    I don't know if it was a total curse. I'm glad I got to see them win the division for the first time since 2000, it was refreshing to be in the playoffs again. And we may have the toughest schedule, but our players do get experience against the top teams in the league, and we came out of the toughest part with the same record we had at this point last year.

Regardless of the tough schedule, we'd have to play the pats twice and the jets again anyway, and those may be the toughest games left on our schedule. We've got a bunch of below .500 teams coming up.

8. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I have to say I'm a little disappointed. I thought I had started a quality thread to start discussion, put a lot of thought and effort into it and it gets buried on page 3 after a total of 6 posts. I guess if it had been a Ted Ginn Jr. sucks thread it would already have 6 pages of content. :pity: Not trying to be a post whore, but at least see that my time and efforts was worth it.

9. mbmonk

mbmonk I have no clue

Aug 4, 2008
    Excellent post!

I would say it could take 2 years to fill all the holes you mentioned, but other than that I completely agree. Amazing post.

When you put Chris C. as a good safety. I was thinking of Chris Crooker last year and I about screamed out in pain. But I figured out you meant Clemons :P

10. USArmyFinFan

USArmyFinFan Maximum Effort

Mar 23, 2008
    Houston Texas
    It's a good post, and thanks for your effort. You have to understand, dealing with a hard loss most are looking for hope to get them believing again. Then to read a post that basicly says, it all for not, kind of kills the mood to respond.

11. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    Didn't know how he spelled Clemons so I went with the safe approach

12. finsincebirth

Dec 1, 2007
    I'm saying quite the opposite. We are in fact heading in the right direction, and based on how the rebuilding of a franchise normally occurs. Like I said we are probably one draft and FA period away from really contending and being consistent contenders. No one and done stuff. I just think that really great year last year set the bar too high. Believe me I enjoyed it and enjoyed being relevant again, but I think it created too high of expectations. Instead of being really down after a hard loss. Look at it as we're right where we should be. Now we contend with good teams but can't finish. Next year we finish. Temper expectations a bit that's all and know we're on the right path