1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

10 players poised to succeed now in ideal situations

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by ATVZ400, May 1, 2008.

1. ATVZ400

ATVZ400 Senior Member

Mar 22, 2008
    parts unknown, NJ
    Jake Long, OT, Miami: Bill Parcells handpicked Long to be the cornerstone of the Dolphins offense, and his ability to pave the way for Ricky Williams and Ronnie Brown will help Tony Sparano establish a smash-mouth identity for the team. No one expected the Dolphins to start the Parcells' era with an offensive player, but Long will anchor an offensive line that will attempt to maul defenses at the point of attack.

link to rest of story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/bucky_brooks/05/01/impact.rookies/index.html

alen1 likes this.
  2. HULKFish

HULKFish Artist and Scribe

Apr 30, 2008
    Central FL
    I sure hope so, though I read somewhere a columnist compare Long to Robert Gallery in being a good run-blocker but not so great pass-blocker. I have a good feeling about him, he looks like Tony Boselli Jr.!!

3. jdang307

jdang307 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 29, 2007
    San Diego
    Gallery had 31" arms. There's no way to succeed with those T-Rex arms.

4. Regan21286

Regan21286 MCAT's, EMT's, AMCAS, ugh

Dec 3, 2007
    UCLA, CA
    Not sure why people continue comparing Long and Thomas. They're two different tackles with different styles. Thomas is an agile passblocker along the lines of Walter Jones. Long is a strong runblocker along the lines of Jonathan Ogden. Both great LT's but with different strengths.

alen1 and Striking like this.
  5. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    He only gave up two (2) sacks in his college career so he must be doing something right. Thomas last year in college Jake Long won their conference's offensive lineman of the year over Thomas. I hate the comparisons too but Parcels and Ireland must have seen something they like since they had their pick of any player in the draft and they took Jake Long.
    We have to admit one thing Parcels and company are taking the offensive line seriously and making it a top priority after taking Smiley at the beginning of free agency and Jake Long No#1. They also took some other OL in the draft so its a work in progress.

alen1 likes this.