1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dolphins Draft Predictions

Discussion in 'NFL Draft Forum' started by UCF FINatic, Mar 17, 2012.

1. UCF FINatic

UCF FINatic The Miami Dolphins select

Apr 17, 2008
    I just wanted to start a thread where people could start writing down random thoughts about what the Dolphins will do during the draft and what not. Here are some of my thoughts:

• We will NOT draft a wide receiver in the 1st round- I see Blackmon being taken before us and the more I think about it I just don't see us drafting Michael Floyd. If we trade down in the 1st I think there is a slight chance that we would take Kendall Wright though. Ireland has been very good at identifying "value" picks at each position and I think the value for WRs is in the mid-2nd to 3rd round.
    • We will draft two wide receivers between rounds 2 and 3- Like I mentioned above I could see us taking two wide receivers where the talent is very good compared to the position of the draft. I fully believe that 2 of our 3 picks in rounds 2 and 3 will be used on WR. There are a lot of targets that fit in the WC that Philban could love including: Mohamed Sanu, Marvin McNutt, Chris Givens, Devon Wylie, Marvin Jones, Ryan Broyles. If we got any two of those guys between rounds 2 and three I would be ecstatic.
    • We will try to trade back and pick up another 2nd rounder- I just get a strong feeling we will try to trade down and pick up either a pick next year or an additional second rounder this year. This is just a gut feeling, but I think it has mostly to do with the fact that the value at this pick talent-wise compared to the value of a later pick talent-wise isn't as good. Essentially, we should be able to trade down and get someone that is nearly just as good as who we would take at number 8.
    • We will draft a lot of skill positions- I see the majority of our picks being on skill positions. I see us adding 2 WRs, 1 TE, 1 developmental QB (in the later rounds). Non skill position players could be ILB, DE, and OL.
    • Ladarius Green could be our Jermichael Finley- Their combine numbers are very, very similar. As well as how one dimensional they are coming out. They have similar body types as well. With Fasano on our roster I think it is ok for us to draft a guy like him. Michael Egnew also has similar a similar size, skill set, and combine numbers. I give the edge to Green based on-field production. Dwayne Allen also had similar numbers, but his body type was different. Additionally, Allen is a more complete TE, so he should be drafted higher in the NFL draft. We should be able to get a "one-dimensional" TE later in the draft comparatively.
    • Potential 1st round draft picks- These are all players we could go with in round 1. Ireland has a history of drafting players with very good game tape, that have very high floors and somewhat high ceilings. He isn't one to make picks off of "potential" at least in the first round. Here are some guys I could see us drafting:
      Quinton Coples (I honestly think if he is there it is more likely that we trade down for someone that wants him)
      OG David DeCastro (Could be more of a trade down target)
      ILB Luke Kuechly (I think he has a higher chance of being drafted by us than people are giving him)
      OT Riley Reiff (I also think he has a pretty good chance of being drafted by us, especially with Long's injuries last year and the Iowa connection)
      DE Melvin Ingram (If we sign Mark Anderson I don't expect us to draft a DE in round 1)
      DT Fletcher Cox (He would be awesome alongside Soliai, but we already have pretty good depth at DT. I just love Cox though [not like that though])
      WR Kendall Wright (It's much more likely we skip drafting a WR until the 2nd round, but Wright could be a trade down candidate)
      OG/OT Cordy Glenn (Has really solid game tape and could start at either OG or OT. I think its less likely we draft Glenn compared to others on this list though)
      DE Whitney Mercilus (Had one hell of a year, I could see Ireland jumping on Mercilus)
      DE Nick Perry (Probably my favorite DE in this years draft. He can really get pressure on the QB.)
      TE Coby Fleener (Possible trade down target, like I mentioned above I think its much more likely we draft a one dimensional TE in the later rounds)

SICK, sws84 and phineas64 like this.
  2. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    To be honest I am just not a huge fan of Upshaw. I think he is one of those players that the media values a little more than NFL scouts and GMs. He just seems like a big lumbering player to me. He plays well, but isn't that explosive or sudden from a physical standpoint. In my opinion, he would make a better LB in a 3-4 than a 4-3 DE. I just don't see him getting to the QB in the NFL.

[video=youtube;N2NGJD_naF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2NGJD_naF0[/video]

3. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    actually I think its the opposite when it comes to your first two sentences...

Boomer and alen1 like this.
  4. RoninFin4

RoninFin4 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Agreed DJ. Agreed.

Circling back to Upshaw, I think he could still be in play for Miami. Potentially. I still think that at the 8th spot, I'd be choosing between three player, assuming Flynn doesn't end up a Dolphin, and those three being Ryan Tannehill, Quinton Coples, and David DeCastro. I think any of those 3 would be a great pick.

Now, let's say Flynn does sign with Miami, I think it's fair to say that Ireland would look to trade down unless somehow Justin Blackmon dropped or something unexpected. If Miami trades for Cincinnati's 17th pick, I think Upshaw could be in play. CK mentioned a few days ago that with the number of guys on the roster that can play interior spots, Miami still could very easily run a 3-4 base. If they do indeed move Misi inside (hey, Burnett was on crutches two days ago), I think Upshaw would fit nicely at SAM.

A lot of if's, but Upshaw's still one of my favorite players in the Draft.

djphinfan likes this.
  5. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Trade down unless blackmon or claireborn drops to us... Pick up a second, draft Floyd, Barron, Luke...if we trade way down in the first fleener

6. PhinPhanatic

PhinPhanatic New Member

Feb 22, 2011
    Rochester, NY
    Hoping for something like:
    Ingram
    Weeden
    Streets
    D Allen
    Finally we focus on offensive skill poistions....after #8. Unless Blackmon or Richardson falls

7. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Just moving these posts here from the Main Board. I think it is more draft related anyway, and I don't want to get it lost in the fog. Lots of good insight and research here:
    And for the record, I am saying it now, Quinton Coples (in my opinion), will not be a Miami Dolphin. I am willing to eat crow on this if I am wrong...

The thing is I see as a couple potential problems in this thought process. One of the biggest being the personnel we have right now.

We have Cameron Wake, Paul Soliai, Jared Odrick, Randy Starks, Tony McDaniels, and Phillip Merling. So right now our base defensive line would be
    1st and 2nd downs- Jared Odrick - Paul Soliai - Randy Starks - Cameron Wake
    3rd downs- (We need a pass rushing RDE) - Jared Odrick (moved in to DT) - Randy Starks - Cameron Wake

If we are to draft Quinton Coples and do as you say here would be our line-ups:
    1st and 2nd downs- Quinton Coples - Paul Soliai - Jared Odrick - Cameron Wake
    3rs downs- (We need a pass rushing RDE) - Quinton Coples (moved to DT)- Jared Odrick - Cameron Wake

So drafting Coples, in my opinion doesn't really make our defensive line that much better in my opinion. PLUS, you still have the problem of who is going to rush the passer from the right side on 3rd downs, so it doesn't really solve any problems. So if we do draft Branch for that position, lets assume that he makes it to the 3rd round (big assumption, doubtful in my opinion) you are going to use two of your four top 100 picks on defensive line? That just doesn't seem smart considering our other team needs/weaknesses. I really feel like we should just add a Branch or someone else in the 3rd round to be that RDE on 3rd downs and keep our line as it is for the most part.

Here is another HUGE point in my opinion: We have a "Quinton Coples" on our team right now... and his name is: Jared Odrick. He can play the RDE position on rushing downs and then kick in and rush the passer from the DT position on 3rd downs. Here is my argument for him:
    1.) He had 6 sacks over the last 11 games of last season.
    2.) He has a similar body to Coples. Odrick is 6'5 and 304(at the combine he was 296) Coples is 6'6 and 285. I think if you tell Odrick your plans he can lose 15 pounds before the start of the season and be right about where Coples is.
    3.) Odrick started his Penn State career off as a DE and was later moved to DT. Very similar to Coples. If you watched Coples play this year they very often lined him up at DT. Jon Gruden even had this to say about Odrick,
    Even still if you draft Coples and move him inside that means you are taking Randy Starks off the field. Starks has been a pretty decent pass rusher in his own right getting about 15 sacks over the past 3 years. He could be a force inside on 3rd downs, and I am not sure how big of an upgrade Coples would be over him.

All in all, originally I was open minded to drafting Coples but now I am firmly against it. His addition wouldn't greatly improve the defensive line in my opinion; but more importantly we would still need to spend another top 100 pick on a DE to rush the passer from that right side on 3rd downs. Essentially by drafting Coples it would take Starks off the field and relegate him to the bench. I am a pretty big fan of Starks and think he could be great as a 4-3 DT in both running and passing downs (He ranked 9th in Maryland's sack list when he entered the draft as a Junior). If you really want a guy like Coples on your team I really think Odrick could be that man and play the "Coples role". Our team has too many holes to draft Coples, especially when it wouldn't significantly upgrade our defensive line that much. I think we should spend our first pick on OL, QB (not huge on Tannehill, but he is an option at this point), WR, or trade down which is most likely in my opinion.

8. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Can any of the gurus shine light on my man crush on russel Wilson? Am I the only one seeing how great a college qb he was, great in the sense of very good, not epic

9. princekong2

princekong2 New Member

Feb 12, 2010
    Alrighty Let Me Take A Crack At This

Honestly I Feel That WR in The First Round Is a Much of a Possibility Than Drafting a DE/OLB. We Need To Fill Seats, We need WRs with Some star potential
    1st Round: *Trades Down With Those Bengals* : Michael Floyd/Alshon Jefferey - This Pick Might Spark Some Interest In Dolphins Fans
    2nd RoundA: Nick Foles -Woahhh Looks Like Were Taking A Page Out Of Those Guys We traded With's Books, I believe its the Bengals ?
    2nd RoundB: Ladarius Green- Weapons On Weapons Bro.
    3rd- Bruce Irvin - Pass Rusher -
    3rd-Nick Toon WR
    Gave Up a 4th In the Trade With The Bengals
    5- G/T
    6-Cliff Harris -
    7-Kellen Moore - Anticipation and Accuracy is Ridiculous, A Little Work and We Might Have A Lil Something But for Now Hes Competing With Devlin

Thats My Little Draft Prediction

10. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Floyd's stock has risen too much to get him at17 I believe and Jeffrey is a reach there.
    not a foles fan IMO
    green a reach in 2
    Irvin wont be there in 3
    Toon would be a good pick in 3

11. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Bumping this cause I'm getting my panties in a bunch

12. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Sorry bud, I have a Genetics exam tomorrow, Physics II exam friday, and a Biochemistry exam Monday. So I probably won't get a chance to look at him until next Tuesday or probably later; maybe CK, Boomer, or Todd could give you their opinion.I haven't really looked at him, besides watching a few games as a fan. Some things I did notice are he holds the ball for a while and lets plays develop downfield (also he might have done this to get a better field of view), he used his feet and mobility to keep plays alive and allow WRs to have a long time to get open, at times he seemed overly cautious of pulling the trigger. He was very short, which anyone could tell you.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  13. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    +1 for nuclear physics... What major are you?

14. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Bet you aren't expecting this.... Business Management lol. I am just finishing up my last pre-reqs for dental school though.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  15. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He's an interesting prospect with an intriguing skill set, but he's not a guy you draft expecting to be the answer. IMO he's a good late round pick up if you have a system established that fits him and a solid starting & backup QB allowing you to develop him a few years w/o the pressure of expectations, hoping he blossoms into something decent ..... and maybe on a team in a division with a mobile athletic QB where you can also use Wilson as your scout QB for your 1st team D to practice against. More than likely his height limitations will impact his NFL future, and currently I don't see a Drew Brees quality arm to make up for it, granted Brees had much better coaching (QB wise), but I'm not sure it'd make a difference if Wilson had the same. Just my opinion.

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  16. Laces Out

Laces Out Well-Known Member

Aug 4, 2011
    Omaha, Ne
    No....you aren't the only one. Russell Wilson was a really good college QB, who dropped into a perfect storm in Wisconsin.

He throws well both stationary and on the run. He is naturally elusive and has decent speed. The only knock is he is too short. His upside is very high IMHO

EDIT: combine profile....only place the NFL guys don't agree with mine is upside and ability to throw from the pocket.

http://m.nfl.com/combine/profile/2532975/russell-wilson/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jcouch1021 likes this.
  17. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    If Blackmon falls past the Rams we will be the luckiest team in the league. Otherwise Trade back!!!!

And if this team drafts Trent Richardson? I'm buying a Raiders jersey.

18. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I got the same feeling, smart QB, natural athlete, ( drafted into MLB) throws well in most situations, let's plays develope and can escape pressure if need be.

19. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Wow, that did surprise me, I went through buisness manage,ent and now I'm doing buisness development for a hospital building construction company

20. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    I do agree that he's not a plug and play type guy that can immediately start. He is only behind drew Bree's in records it he big ten :). I do see him as a hardworking athlete who will eventually be given a shot and blossom into a starting QB regardless of his size. I think he is an excellent late rounder...

Al you guys thanks for the insight!!!!

ToddsPhins likes this.
  21. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Watched a little tape for an hour...

Good deep ball accuracy with an avg-above avg arm
    very good short passing ability
    makes great reads and anticipates routes well
    extremely elusive, almost has eyes in the back of his head.
    can extend plays with his legs
    Throws as comfortable on run as in pocket.

He is short but played behind the mammoths at wisc. Yes they have a great online so that helped his play, but he also started 3 seasons on Nc state which didn't..

Oh yea and he's a 4 years starter...

I like this guy enough to reach on him

22. Roman529

Roman529 Senior Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Colorado Springs, CO
    If we don't trade down, here is how I see our draft going, based a little on need, who might be available, and also BPA.

Round 1 - Melvin Ingram, SC, OLB
    Round 2 - Mohamed Sanu, Rutgers, WR
    Round 3 - Ladarius Green, UL-Lafayette, TE
    Round 3 - Trumaine Johnson, Montana, CB
    Round 4 - Tony Bergstrom, Utah, RT
    Round 5 - Devon Wylie, Fresno State, WR
    Round 6 - BPA
    Round 7 - BPA

23. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    He's definitely an interesting prospect. Unfortunately, and I know you won't enjoy hearing this but we likely won't carry 4 QBs, and I don't think we'd pass on Tannehill, Weeden, or Cousins to take Wilson later on. IMO he's most likely the kind of guy you take when you already have a starter you're set on and not looking to replace, a decent backup, and have the ability to groom Wilson w/o taking up a 4th roster spot.

24. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    Cornfed picks.

25. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    Blasphemy!!!!! Todd, taking my hopes and dreams and pooping on them

ToddsPhins likes this.
  26. Boomer

Boomer Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 30, 2007
    I don't know how anyone looks at Upshaw and doesn't see a terrific player.

If Russell Wilson were 6'4 he'd be a first rounder. He's going to be blighted because of his lack of height in the pocket.

Roman my man, Devon Wylie's going nowhere near the 5th round.

SICK and Stitches like this.
  27. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    So a 6th or 7th rounder?

SICK likes this.
  28. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    LOL! Doofus.

I keep seeing Ladarius Green mocked to Miami. I can only assume it's by people who either haven't seen him or haven't heard of Charles Clay. Green couldn't block my daughter and although he has excellent hands, so does Clay. Green is 6'6, Clay is 6'3 but heavier. Oh and Clay is a far better blocker. He's not a FB, he's more of an hback type. Unless the plan is to make him a FB which would be ridiculous given how well he matches up vs LB's, I don't envisage Green as a Dolphin.

SICK and BuckeyeKing like this.
  29. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    IF we go TE who do you like? Green reminds me of Dorin Dickerson. Do you think a team moves him to a WR?

30. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008

The TE position is changing, Green has the ability to be moved around in ways Aaron Hernandez and Finley are. It's becoming a passing league, not sure he needs to be a good blocker.

UCF FINatic likes this.
  31. Jcouch1021

Jcouch1021 New Member

Jan 21, 2011
    New Jersey
    We still haven't learned that passing thing you speak of yet

32. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    That's what we are all hoping Phibin will change, he's not a moron like Sparano...he will want to throw the ball. Problem is we have zero talent at QB or WR.

33. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I believe you will have to move Wylie up to one of your thirds if you want him..thats where he would be in my mock..

34. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Maybe you could help develop my dental office sometime in the future :)

35. UCF FINatic

Apr 17, 2008
    Respectfully, I have to disagree. I know Green can't block, but neither can Finley or a lot of the new breeds of TEs. He can present match up problems though, more so than Clay could. First off we already have a complete more blocking based TE in Fasano. So I think are looking for a more receiving based TE. You can get value by drafting GReen later in the draft than you would with say a more complete TE like Dwayne Allen.

Also I love Clay as much as the next guy, but I think some people over estimate his contributions.

36. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2008
    The attraction with Green is as a move TE. His size and speed give him the potential as seam threat. Arguably his ceiling is higher than Clay's. I like Clay, but I see him as far from a sure thing. Green would be a double up at the position with the hope that one hits. I also don't care much about the blocking. I see blocking for a TE to be mostly about attitude and teaching. If somebody is willing to learn you can teach most anybody to be a wall off blocker. So not seeing a TE block on tape would only bother me if he came off as unwilling to be coached in the interview or his coaches said he was unwilling. But that would take him off my board for more than just the blocking. So barring that, I would consider Green from the 4th round on.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  37. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Watched Wilson at NC State and he was always rock solid, played minor league ball as well

38. djphinfan

Dec 20, 2007
    I think when you look at the west coast offense you look for a tight end with speed, speed to get deep, speed to rip the seam...We do not have that on our roster.

39. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    Let's not confuse ourselves that Ladarius Green is anything close to Jermichael Finley. And the reason Finley gets away with being a C blocker is because he's such a talent at WR. But seriously.........

Why would you overestimate Charles Clay? Again, showed time and again that he could press the seam far better than Green can.

40. Boomer

Nov 30, 2007
    I dn't think the Dolpins will touch Green and I don't see upside any greater than Clay's. Move TE or not, he still has to block people. And to say that it's a passing league - as Fin intimated - means nothing. It's a great term but teams still run the football and you still need to protect the passer. You become one dimensional when you bring in a specific move TE because you know he's not going to block a hoot therefore already the play is 50% easier to decipher than before.

Aaron Hernandez was a run blocker on 406 plays last season for the Patriots. That's four hundred and six.

Finley is an improving blocker year on year.

Look at the top 12/15 TE's in the NFL. Beyond Aaron Hernandez who stayed in to block or run blocked 40% of the time he was on the field, there's not a move TE in the top 12/15. Seems a monumental waste of a pick for a team that needs WR's and TE's to waste a pick on a tweener. All well and good if it's Hernadez, a top 45 talent without the off field issues, but he's not.

Stringer Bell likes this.