1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Tebow's trust in God's purpose makes backing up Sanchez more palatable"

Discussion in 'AFC East Rivals' started by ToddsPhins, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    The word "religion" means different things to different people, I guess. ;)

2. Ohio Fanatic

Ohio Fanatic Twuaddle or bust Club Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    This is always such a silly argument. both sides always on the extreme. have to separate faith vs structured religion
    1) Faith is a wonderful thing, keeps good people on a proper track, helps them lead better lives and set a better example for their kids and peers
    2) structured religion is an extremely mixed bag. on a small scale, it can help a community. on a much larger scale, like it has already been mentioned, religion on a large scale has most definitely been responsible for some of the largest atrocities in history - no denying that. Much of it has everything to do with people in a structured religion trying to push their "faith" onto others because they are completely justified in their own minds that their particular faith brings them much closer to God. Even in early elementary school, I could clearly see that this latter point was utterly wrong and if there was a true God, he would be unlikely to support the ridiculous concept.

having said that, I'm equally as pissed off about the atheist movement standing up and paying for billboards across the country. IMO,that makes them no better than the hypocrites they are criticizing in the various Christian religions. Be happy with your atheism, or be happy with your christianity.
    - But, STFU when it comes to trying to convince others of your beliefs.
    - STFU when it comes to trying to get schools to eradicate any teachings of evolution.
    - STFU (for the athiests) when it comes to trying to eradicate any evidence of the word God from classrooms.

maybe, just maybe, our kids can actually benefit by being exposed to multiple points of view when it comes to religion, science... let them make up their own minds.
    these people who are wasting time trying to dictate policy (in either direction) in our schools need to be skinned alive and dipped in fuming sulfuric acid.

finyank13, Bulldog and Pagan like this.
  3. cdz12250

cdz12250 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 28, 2007
    Coconut Grove
    With respect, that's not what he's saying. He's saying that all he has to do while he's here is be the best he possibly can be, and when he comes to the end of his life, God will take care of his future. An attitude like that maximizes his effort and makes the world a better place for everybody, not just him.

At the end of his playing days he should be NFL chaplain.

Bulldog likes this.
  4. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    very true. Christianity IMO is like Santa Claus for adults. Kids are told about Santa when they're little to serve as motivation for them to be good, "Checkin my list who's naughty or nice", and if you're bad you get a lump of coal rather than presents. As you get older someone breaks it to you that Santa isn't real, and then common sense kicks in and you're left thinking, "I guess it is a little farfetched that, in one night, a fat man in a red suit flies around the world in a reindeer-powered sleigh and places toys under every child's Christmas tree." Since that story doesn't work for adults, a new strategy has to be formalized. We'll tell them, "If you're good and accept & worship Jesus Christ, they'll go to heaven, and if you don't, you go to hell". Just like Santa Claus, "Jesus knows if you've been bad or good so go to church for heaven sake. You better watch out. You better not cry. You better not pout, I'm telling you why. Jesus Christ is coming. to. town." Of course, it was likely done in reverse with religion happening first, followed by Santa. I'm guessing the idea of "Santa" arose from the understanding that children couldn't be swayed by religious ideals at such an early age b/c they simply couldn't relate to them nor comprehend them. However, they could be swayed by presents, toys. Therefore, what better way to prep a person into believing something extremely farfetched as an adult than to have them believe in a figure like Santa when they're little. I just find it interesting that some specific aspects & themes of Christianity existed long before Christianity even became a word.

It's my opinion that organized religion resulted from a society long ago attempting to put forth something to help keep peace and order during a time when people would believe almost anything. I'm guessing their intentions were good..... but then one day someone caught onto the power of persuasion involved in this so called religion and decided to exploit it for ulterior motives. As greater natural resources & means of currency were discovered, the power of religion become more important in getting people to help fight their cause for such resources and wealth, hence the Catholic church being the wealthiest entity on the planet. So, over the years, just as all great ideas are stolen or copied by others, other societies and individuals saw the power behind religion & its potential for wealth and adopted it as their own, only adding their own twists to it to help separate themselves from others, especially their enemies, which only makes sense b/c sharing the "same" religion would make it more difficult to wage war against thy neighboring land for their territory, wealth, and resources.

Thousands of years later you end up with some beguiling nut job, who professed to be a prophet from god, convincing a group of gullible dingbats that he just translated an ancient Christian book of golden plates that some angel had directed its buried whereabouts to. Unfortunately, the joke's on me b/c this nut job's contrived religion has a current net worth of $30 billion and roughly 15 million followers world wide who are expected to pay 10% of their income to be a member of this massive cult.

I find it ironic and even hypocritical that people will believe in all the crazy stories told within their religion (like Noah's Arc) but call someone crazy for saying they saw a UFO.

5. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    If you knew anything about science, you'd think its just as crazy. Doesn't leave much to believe in.

6. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    It makes the world a better place for everybody, huh?
    Was it a "better place" for those who lost their life on Sept 11 b/c a few idiots believed their "God will take care of their future"?

Why do you think that you need religion to make you "be the best you can be"? You don't think people can be internally motivated to lead a good & respectable life in the absence of religious influence? Cmon man. Then again, doesn't Christianity teach that, no matter how good a life you live, you won't go to heaven unless you become a Christian and accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior? That's fear mongering. If these teaching and related biblical "stories" were delayed a few thousand years and didn't come about until the 1980's, it would likely be viewed as nothing more than a cult, and most of the country would call its originator and followers crazy people, similarly to the Waco Massacre.

7. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    what would I think is just as crazy?

8. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    besides the whole randomness of our existence and our universes existence and the fact we don't really know how it all began?
    that fact that people are now investigating if we really are inside a simulation?
    I can keep going..............

9. BicketyBam

BicketyBam No Fist Pumps Allowed

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    [​IMG]

-Ed-

10. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    Well, to be fair, if there wasn't religion there wouldn't have to be a debate about it. Just sayin.

11. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    [​IMG]

Bulldog likes this.
  12. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    [​IMG]

Frumundah Finnatic likes this.
  13. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    Ugh, I hope this is sarcasm. We know a lot more about how it all began and evolved thru science than a story where a sentient being made a man and a woman in a garden

14. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    AHA!!! No "Pagan" in there! :p

15. unluckyluciano

Dec 7, 2007
    Knowing a lot more does not equal knowing for sure, nor that it doesn't seem like out of this world. And thats not even going into quantum physics yet. Ugh.

Bulldog likes this.
  16. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    "We" do, huh? Please explain it then.

The facts are, there are more guesses now. Nothing is a lot more other than those guesses. And if you remain ignorant about Christianity, (man and a women in a garden) then of course you'll always think it's absurd.

17. Bulldog

Bulldog New Member

Mar 13, 2012
    Many religions aren't on that picture.

18. Fin-Omenal

Fin-Omenal Initiated

Mar 25, 2008
    Thee...Ohio State University
    Jesus...

19. Pagan

Pagan Metal & a Mustang

Mar 22, 2008
    Newburgh, NY
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Two Tacos

Two Tacos Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Nov 24, 2007

I thought that proselytizing was a key component to many Christian faiths? The whole Mathew thing about baptizing and teaching? I'm also not sure how telling someone to STFU about their faith, is compatible with being exposed to faiths.

Science and faith are polar opposites IMO. Science is about proving. Faith is about believing.

From Webster:

There are other definitions to both words, but those are the ones that are relevant to this discussion IMO.

21. BicketyBam

Sep 6, 2010
    New Milford, CT
    Tebow rulz. Jets are the best. Dolphins are gay sharks.

22. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    There's a pretty big difference in telling someone about your faith and what you believe in vs trying to convert them to your faith, or taking actions you feel are justified by your faith

And as far as your science vs faith argument, it doesn't hold enough water IMO. Much of science is still based on theories that may be sound, but haven't been absolutely proven. As science evolves, some of those theories will be disproven.

23. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    You assume I'm ignorant about Christianity, but you would be incorrect. I use the Adam and Eve statement to embellish my point. While you may be smart enough to realize that Adam and Eve is a representation of the beginning of the human life, you can't deny that a good portion of the population does indeed believe there was an Adam and Eve, or that the world is only several thousand years old, or there is no such thing as evolution, or there is a place of fire and brimstone where you suffer for your sins..... the list goes on and on. So, yes, there is definitely a population of christians that don't take the stories in the bible literally, but those aren't the people making irrational decisions based on their faith.

24. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    What does a bill board do?

You just made my point. Science is constant proving.

25. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    What? Speak English much good?

26. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    Better than you read apparently. What didn't you understand?

27. Ohio Fanatic

Nov 26, 2007
    Concord, MA
    your previous two posts were fine. that last post was gibberish.

28. Two Tacos

Nov 24, 2007
    What does a bill board do?

You just made my point. Science is constant proving.

Better?

29. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Tim Tebow likes fish sticks.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  30. NFL2102

NFL2102 New Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Can everyone just STFU with this "Religious Vs Non-Religious" ****?

This is a football forum not a religious vs atheist fight club.

Everyone has there own beliefs, DEAL WITH IT. Keep your criticisms about other people beliefs to yourselves. No one is Right and no one is wrong.

Now... **** the Jets, and GO DOLPHINS!

31. McLovin

McLovin Resident Pats fan.

May 7, 2008
    North Cacalaka
    [​IMG]