1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ask Tim Graham

Discussion in 'Trophy Case' started by Muck, Jan 2, 2010.

Tags:
  1. TimGraham

TimGraham New Member

Jan 1, 2010
    Atogwe looks like the best bet right now. Not much else out there.

LandShark13 likes this.
  2. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    As much as it pains me to do so, I gotta agree with Tim on this one. (on Sanchez, not the Bob bashing) As fans we can debate which is the better QB of the two all we want. But to say Sanchez isn't a starting QB when he helped the team win two playoff games in his rookie year is absolute hogwash and a homer viewpoint of epic proportions.

PhinsRock, late again and BigDogsHunt like this.
  3. Disnardo

Disnardo Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Hialeah, FL
    Tim thanks for being part of this great forum...

We all appreciate the fact that their seems to be NO BIAS on reporting what you see on our favorite Dolphin's team...

To start off, lets state that both the Jets and the Dolphins have one of the Top OL's in the NFL...

On the matter of Sanchez vs Henne, I can understand what you are basing your views on... and to use the same basis, IMO, I would like to express my views...

As you stated on a prior post, Sanchez pass for 272 yards in one of his first games, but did you also know that that was the only game won in which he passed for over 200+ yards??? He played 5 games (record of 1-4, including PS) in which he passed for over 200 yards, winning only the first one. That is a 20% winning record...

Henne played in 7 games (record of 3-4) in where he passed for over 200+ yds, that is a 43% winning record...

Both QBs, IMO, played very well with the talent around them, or did they??? Knowing that Edwards (Top 10 WR talent) was given to Sanchez, to help him out right away, did not take anything away from Henne. With Cotchery and Edwards you would think that Sanchez would have had no problems winning games where he has to let it fly???

But the truth of the matter is that Sanchez was handy capped, when he had to make his own decisions when flushed out of the pocket. That is why Rex gave him a "Color Code" to use between plays, to avoid Sanchez from making poor decisions. Let us not forget about them...

So what Top 10 WR talent did the Dolphin's FO bring last year to help Henne out???

----------------------------------------

and on Sanchez Post Season...

He did OK in the Cincy game, passsing the ball all 15 times. Yes 15 times for 182 yds, that was about 27% of the plays on Offense. Sanchez was just asked to manage the game and not to make his own decisions, again relying on Rex Ryan's Color Code system. He only attempted 5 passes in the 2nd half of that game. This game shows that he was not asked to do much except hand the ball off. I have to say that he did that extremely well... Can I add to say that there was still that Run Game, and and outstanding Defense...

Against SD... well 63 yds through the air and 23 attempts averaging 4.0 YPA. Sanchez had 8 Pass attempts in the 2nd half (out of 23 attempts). Had 1 TD and 1 INT, and passed in 36% of the Offensive plays. This tells me that again Sanchez was not asked to take risks and play conservative...

Sanchez was 10-4 (including Post Season) when he passed for under 200 yds, that was 71% winning record...

Henne was 7-2 when passing for under 200 yds, that is a 78% winning record...
    --------------------------------------

Now in the end, Sanchez was tasked with being conservative and not to take risks. That is what you would want your rookie to do. Henne more often, was asked to take risks, since he was around the scheme for the last year (2008). Specially when his defense had given up 17+ points in the first half, in the last few games of the year...

I think both QBs showed what they can do with the talent around them. Sanchez was reigned in to avoid the Rookie mistakes, while Henne was allowed to take risks...

4. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    The northeast sports bias is strong in this one. How many average QBs have we seen starting on AFC Championship teams? Or Super Bowls teams, even? Just because his team went that far, isn't indicative of how good he is at QB. If anything, the Jets got to where they did despite Sanchez being their QB. I watched alot of Jet games last year, thanks to all the hype they get they're always on tv, Sanchez didn't show anything special. Sure he made a few good plays, but even a broken clock is right twice a day. But don't fool yourself, that team started to play good defense at the right time, and got lucky with two teams laying down and the fortune of playing Cincy and SD who were falling apart at season's end.

Yes I may be 24, but you'll find on this forum there are lots of young fans who do are quite well read on the game of football. Your scouts that you talk to, of course they're alot more knowledgeable than me or anyone else on here, they get paid to be. Doesn't mean they're right, scouts get players wrong all the time, it happens. I don't think I'm being overly homerish when I speak my opinion that Mark Sanchez is not that talented. I just don't see it. It's not just the piss poor stats, it's his pocket presence, his immaturity, his lack of experience(not entirely his fault), and the fact that he benefits from playing on a team with pretty good defense and a solid run game. Now this year he won't have Thomas Jones running over people or Leon Washington sprinting to the endzone. So we'll see what he does with Santonio Holmes if he doesn't suspend himself for the season or if Braylon Edwards learns how to be consistent.

5. jim1

jim1 New Member

Jul 1, 2008
    I read the new piece on ESPN. My guess is that you're right on both counts. Sanchez is good, despite what some partisan Dolfans might think. I'd rate him higher than Henne now, but this year should tell a lot. #19 ranking for the WR core isn't bad- without Marshall we'd be dead last.

Disnardo likes this.
  6. Bpk

Bpk Premium Member Luxury Box

Hi Tim. Wondering if you have any interesting insights that you've heard out of all the OTA days across the league?

7. Jeff

Jeff A.S.E. Mastur

Mar 18, 2010
    Plantation
    Has Tim Graham left the building?

8. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    The Jets fans probably have a lot more questions for him every since he went on his Sanchez > Henne kick. :shifty:

Just kidding Tim, come back we miss you!

FinSane and Disnardo like this.
  9. djphinfan

djphinfan Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Tim, I loved the article you wrote about Ricky..You went there....much respect.

10. FinSane

FinSane Cynical Dolphins Fan

Dec 1, 2007
    Melbourne, Fl
    Hope I didnt scare the dude away...but no one steps on a Dolphins QB in my town!

11. Fin Fan In Cali

Fin Fan In Cali Dolphin fan since 1970 Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    So. Cal
    Tim I appreciate your views as you speak your mind. I respect that. What do you think happens with the Crowder and Dobbins battle for the inside linebacker spot?

gunn34 likes this.
  12. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Hey Tim,

I can't take credit for this question, but I feel it needs to be asked. We really appreciate the pounding the pavement you have been doing to get to the bottom of the Henne vs. Sanchez debate. We couldn't help but notice you asked Jason Taylor who he thought was better and we wonder who you might be asking next on the subject. Have you thought about giving Mark Sanchez's mom a call and asking her who the better quarterback is?

LandShark13 likes this.
  13. PhinsRock

PhinsRock Premium Member Luxury Box

Sure hope a few bouts of homerism over Henne didn't cost us the valued services of Tim. I really respect & appreciate his opinions. I don't always agree with him, but I would never claim to have more knowledge about football than Tim.

I think it will be interesting to see whether Henne or Sanchez outshines the other this season. Henne will have the better OL and running game IMO, but Sanchez will still be kept as mostly a game manager because of the strength of the Jests Defense. My homerism says Henne, but we'll see.

14. siciliansith

siciliansith Resident Deviant

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    Not to be Debby Downer, but why have this featured if ya only post every few months. We look forward to your take even if we disagree.

Look forward to something soon .

Bpk likes this.
  15. The_Dark_Knight

The_Dark_Knight Defender of the Truth

Nov 24, 2007
    Rockledge, FL
    I have a question...something I've always wondered but never asked...

Why is the Miami Dolphins' bye week ALWAYS week 5? Other teams get byes midway and even deeper into the season but we ALWAYS have our bye during week 5.

Why?

siciliansith and finyank13 like this.
  16. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I'm not sure how they come up with these dates, I am one that also notice we get a early bye often.

BUT this year I think its good. Those first 4 games are tough we could use a break for the next 4 which are just as hard. Our 1st half of the season on paper looks the hardest.
    I welcome the early break for a change

17. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL

Are you flip flopping on us Tim?

Larry Little and finyank13 like this.
  18. siciliansith

Nov 25, 2007
    Rochester NY
    I see his articles get placed on the boards but kill this thread guy hasnt gave a **** in months ty

MonstBlitz likes this.
  19. Bpk

Tim, I'd like to apologize for the posters who, instead of being appreciative of the time you give here, are insulting you because you have upset them.

PLease understand, it's an illness called "fanaticism", or "fan" for short. It makes one irrationally emotionally attached to a team identity and rabidly defensive of all others who share this identity. A "fan" will rape, pillage and kill to defend this group.

It's really nothing personal towards you. A fan simply can;t hear bad things about their beloved team or players without it feeling like a personal attack, so they respond in kind.

Please accept my (and most of this board's) apologies. We appreciate and are grateful for your time and opinions, even when I think they are off-the-mark, which is not too often.

Thanks again. Hope you continue to post here.

Barry

p.s. - Now get some beer and BBQ hooked up and let's enjoy the NFL kickoff weekend!!!

jetssuck and NJFINSFAN1 like this.
  20. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    While some of what you say is true, we do take it personally as fans, would you not agree that stating Santonio Holmes will have a better season than Brandon Marshall, all while being suspended 4 games, is shock value posted for the sole purpose of angering fans and generating page hits?

And if you don't agree to that, would you at least agree that it deserves an explanation?

Perhaps we have been too hard on him. Too bad he'll probably never see your thoughtful apology.

Bpk likes this.
  21. Bpk

I'd agree that it's disappointing to not have seen Tim here for almost four months. If he were here, he could give his own account of this stuff.

I'm not really sure what his reasoning is on the Holmes thing. He may have some. He may not.

I mean, Holmes seems to be looking amazing up in NY while Marshall has looked good, but without a high level of chemistry with Henne.

Who knows why he predicted that. Maybe it WAS for shock value. It would be interesting if he came in here and either a) justified why he believed Holmes would have a better year or b) just flat out said "Yeah, I wanted to stroke the New York readers a bit." lol. I'd almost respect him more for the latter answer being honest about what a working media guy does to stay relevant and employed. lol.

MonstBlitz likes this.
  22. texasPHINSfan

texasPHINSfan New Member

Dec 14, 2007
    Bellevue, WA
    Well you'd have to let him give his reasoning before crucifying him for it.

This reminds me of the media guy that said he liked Carolina's backfield better than ours and everyone was up in arms. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's wrong. Didn't Holmes have a better preseason than Marshall?

23. keypusher

keypusher Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Tim -- if this thread is still live -- one curious trend for the first two weeks is the offense looking very good at the beginning of the game but pretty uninspiring after that. Is it just a fluke, or is there some other reason for this?

24. Phinatic425

Phinatic425 MIA State of Mind

Feb 19, 2010
    Upper Left Corner
    Dear Tim,

Why do you hate the Dolphins??

25. Bpk

Maybe we should close this or at least unsticky it until we see if Tim is going to be around?

Otherwise this seems to be heading towards bashing Tim, which is unfortunate.

jetssuck and LandShark13 like this.
  26. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Again, BPK, I get what you're saying, but where do you draw the line? Should we also not bash Armando or Pete Prisco or any of the other multitude of talking heads this board takes issue with? It's what we do as fans. What about Tim Graham should make him immune to it? Because he answered some questions many moons ago?

Let's get over it.

Bpk likes this.