1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NFL considering addition of two teams

Discussion in 'Other NFL' started by Fin D, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Fin D

Fin D Sigh

Nov 27, 2007
    Link
    If that's the route they go, I bet the other city would be Toronto.

ToddsPhins likes this.
  2. texanphinatic

texanphinatic Senior Member

Nov 26, 2007
    Detroit Metro Area MI
    Could be a number of spots - Toronto and Mexico City for local foreign destinations, and you know they are eying London heavily.

Domestic LA ofc would be a landing spot, but I could see a team in Vegas, OKC, San Antonio.

2 teams is an odd number though - how exactly would that work division wise? It seems really unfair to have a division with 1 more team than the others. Four teams seems more logical, but I am not sure if the NFL would want to expand that quickly. It would probably also mean a realignment. I could see us in a South-East type of division with teams like Atlanta, JVille, Tampa, New Orleans more than remaining with the AFC Northeast folks.

3. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Yeah. If they are gonna expand, they almost have to expand by 4. Make it 36 teams. 18 in each conference. 6 divisions of 6.

shula_guy likes this.
  4. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    And it would give the NFL more of reason to go to a 18-game schedule.
    Expansion possibilities:
    L.A. (x2 maybe)
    Toronto
    Mexico City
    San Antonio
    OKC
    Las Vegas
    Portland
    Birmingham
    London (god I hope not)

I basically just rifled these off the top of my head. Any other possibilities?

5. I had the same thought. You have to split it up evenly by conferences and divisions to be fair. There was a time that there were different amounts of teams between divisions so I guess they couls go back to that. There was time that baltimore was in the AFC east and St Louis was in the Nfc east

6. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    this is a strange report. I heard a radio report on Friday, with a quote from Goodell, saying there will be no "new" teams in the LA market. He said the league is not planning for it and he doesn't see it in the near future. The only way another team gets added is if one moves from an existing city.

7. Paul 13

Paul 13 Chaotic Neutral & Unstable Genius Staff Member

Dec 3, 2007
    his actual quote:

http://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/nfl-s-goodell-says-no-plans-to-expand-anytime-soon-1.3502322

8. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    The Utah ThunderCats

The Hialeah Caballos

The Idaho Taters

The Los Angeles Smog

Can't go wrong with any of these.

9. daphins

daphins A-Style

Mar 22, 2008
    Would LOVE to see Portland get a team. Not sure if the market is big enough to sustain it, but Portlanders are crazy loyal. Blazers do great, as do the Timbers. I'd be first in like for season tickets.

10. Frumundah Finnatic

Frumundah Finnatic U Mad Miami?

Dec 2, 2007
    Miami FL
    Las Vegas would never happen.

11. Yellow Snowman

Yellow Snowman New Member

Feb 27, 2012
    Horrible idea. Do not add 2 more teams. 32 is perfect for balance and scheduling. If anything relocate a few teams. My wish:

- STL back to LA. They're already in the NFC West so it makes sense for them to be on that coast.
    - Move Jax to STL. STL is a good fanbase and deserves a team.

Leave 32 teams and 16 game schedule alone. If anything add a few more teams to the postseason, but don't water down the league more.

12. Jt0323

Jt0323 Fins Up! Luxury Box

Dec 7, 2007
    Las Vegas
    Unfortunately I agree.

13. Yellow Snowman

Feb 27, 2012
    Vegas could have a team........as long as they outlawed gambling. We all know that wont happen so is the dream of a team there.

Let me rant.....sports gambling being illegal is just dumb. Makes no sense that its illegal, except in vegas. Let it be legal everywhere, like horse gambling mostly is.

14. Silverphin

Silverphin Well-Known Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Why not San Antonio? They did partially house the Saints, and they do have a great market, IMO.

I could see them being called the San Antono Desperados or Locomotives.

And what about Hawaii? They have about a million mascots they could choose from.

And Mexico City? I could definitely see them being called the Aztecs or Vacqueros.

15. PSG

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    Hawaii should get a team long before London......

16. ToddsPhins

ToddsPhins Banned

Mar 15, 2009
    The Mexico City Burritos would be fun.

London shouldn't happen for the fact of travel time involved...... unless they get 8 consecutive home games.

17. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    I live in Toronto and I can't necessarily say that I want a team here. We would support it like crazy, but we don't have the culture. When the Bills came to Toronto there was no tailgate. Walk around with a beer on the sidewalk and you get a $110 ticket. I don't know, forget Canada, Mexico, and Europe. NFL is an American game and it should stay there in my opinion.

Yellow Snowman likes this.
  18. Yellow Snowman

Feb 27, 2012
    Exactly this.