1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Great interview with Matt Moore.

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by smahtaz, Apr 12, 2012.

1. smahtaz

smahtaz Pimpin Ain't Easy

http://wqam.com/interviews

With all of the talk about upgrading the QB position from the owner, GM, Marshall and most of the fan base, this guy has a pretty solid outlook on the whole thing. It's worth a listen.

SICK, MonstBlitz and Sceeto like this.
  2. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Yea he seems like a pretty laid back guy, understands he has to step up. I think he's gonna show a lot of improvement after he gets a grasp on this new offense. If we do end up taking Tannehill I hope he sits for a few years and hopefully Moore plays well enough to land a nice contract after signing maybe a 1-2 year deal after this season. If not a QB lets get a stud play maker, fill some holes and hope Weeden falls.

smahtaz likes this.
  3. gunn34

gunn34 I miss Don & Dan

Jan 5, 2008
    Oviedo FL
    Wouldn't it be great if Moore plays up to his potential and we hit it big. We are due.

smahtaz likes this.
  4. RevRick

RevRick Long Haired Leaping Gnome Club Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Thomasville, GA
    Ah, man.. You just did it.. Now someone who really can't stand the idea that there is some possibility of success for the team is probably going to have a total hissy fit then throw a conniption on top of it.. I would love to see Matt Moore come out and do his impersonation of Bob Griese leading the team to beat every team in the division this year not relying on someone throwing every down. I'd love to see a number of those 18 play 10 minute 80 yard drives. Keep the defense rested, the other team defense on their heels, and their offense on their tukkises..

Fin D and smahtaz like this.
  5. MonstBlitz

MonstBlitz Nobody's Fart Catcher

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Matt Moore has already played up to his potential. That's the problem. He's a good QB who has hit his ceiling. Is Matt Moore's ceiling good enough to win a superbowl? I don't think so. I could be wrong.

While I wouldn't mind seeing that either, those days are gone. NFL rules and $$$$$$ will prevent that type of team from ever winning a championship again, IMHO. Average Joe fan wants big name QBs and plenty of passing. And the league will continue to use player safety as a (valid) excuse to keep making Average Joe fan's wish come true.

6. Tone_E

Tone_E Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Does anyone else think Garrard will start anyway, as I do? Assuming we don't get Weeden as he can start right away. Tannehill, not so much.

7. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    No. I don't see how a guy who wasn't that effective before missing an entire year of football is going to beat out a guy that finished last season 6-3. It's possible, but I don't think it's likely. Just my opinion.

8. dsteve

dsteve Banned

Sep 26, 2011
    garrad is better than moore.

9. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I don't think Garrard will start but it mainly has to do with age and injury, not talent. He actually fits the system extremely well. Accurate passer with decent mobility. If we draft Tannenhill I think the chances of Garrard starting go way up because in that scenario you really aren't tied to Moore in any way, it becomes may the best QB win. Where as if you take a later round prospect or a guy like Osweiler you HAVE to tie yourself down to Moore as a starter for the next 2-3 seasons and see what he has.

As a side note, I think Moore is probably the better QB. However I think Garrard fits the system a bit better. Though Moore is deceptively athletic.

10. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    Why is that so hard to fathom? If anything they are very close and def. not warranting your response. You'd think we were comparing Brady to Leaf or something. We will see. I personally have a feeling you will have to change your sig by Week 1, or sooner.

unluckyluciano likes this.
  11. Serpico Jones

Serpico Jones Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Garrard was a Pro Bowler in 2010.

12. SlyFoxxx

SlyFoxxx Sorry for Party Rocking

Jul 29, 2011
    Pro Bowl means less than High School All American

13. xphinfanx

xphinfanx Stay strong my friends.

Nov 1, 2009
    Remember what fan base your talking to.

14. unluckyluciano

unluckyluciano For My Hero JetsSuck

Dec 7, 2007
    for someone playing for the jacksonville jaguars, I'd say its a pretty big deal given their visibility.

15. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Maybe productive was a better word to use? I know he missed a couple games but his production has never really been through the roof.

I think the fact that the Jags cut him days before the 2011 season started says a lot. Yeah, there was an injury but you don't cut a QB just because he's injured. They recognized there was a ceiling that had been reached there.

I'm not saying there's no way Garrard beats out Moore. It could happen. He's a lot like Moore in many ways. Effective, efficient, usually keeps the TD/INT ratio on the right side of 1, but the production is limited. For Moore and Garrard 200 yards and a TD is a normal outing. The top guys in this league throw for 300 without breaking a sweat.

16. SlyFoxxx

SlyFoxxx Sorry for Party Rocking

Jul 29, 2011
    He was basically the third alternate after Manning, Rivers, Brady, Schaub and Young.

I think it's more that no one cares about the Pro Bowl than Garrard was a "Pro Bowl" QB

17. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    If a QB threw for 300 yards a game by the end of the year he would have 4,800 passing yards. Thats not exactly true or a fair representation of what even great QB's do year to year.

Now what you said about Moore is a bit more accurate. Just counting starts he averaged 208 passing yards per game and a shade over 1 TD. Where I disagree though, is his ceiling. I believe in a better offensive scheme he is capable of averaging about 250 yards and 2 TD's a game over the course of a season. Averaged out that is 4000 yards and 32 TD's

I'd take that from my QB. Can he do it? Maybe or maybe not. I happen to like his skill set and believe he can, but I may be wrong and his numbers stay the same. I just happen to think a strong offensive system (something he's NEVER had) could do him wonders.

18. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    Well, 300 yards without breaking a sweat was a bit of an exaggeration. But didn't 3 (I think, not sure) QBs throw for over 5,000 yards this season? I think we are already at a point where 4,000 yards is the new mark of a good season for a QB, not 3,000. I think we're on the way to 5,000 yards being the mark of a great season for a QB.

I'd love to see Matt Moore become the type of QB you describe and it's not out of the realm of possibility. The good thing about this QB situation the Dolphins are in is that they can draft someone like Tannehill or Weeden, and Matt Moore should still have every opportunity to start and have his chance to see if he can do that.

I just think it's a mistake to assume Matt Moore or Dave Garrard can be that guy and not draft somebody this year.

19. Tone_E

Dec 8, 2007
    And Manning is coming off sever neck damage and many wanted him regardless? Point?

David Garrard had 3 seasons within his last 5 with a rating above 83. Don't believe me?
    http://www.nfl.com/player/davidgarrard/2505101/profile

Matt Moore career TD-INT Ratio = 1.23
    David Garrard career TD-INT Ratio = 1.65

Matt Moore career completion pct = 59.1
    David Garrard career completion pct = 61.6

Matt Moore career QBR = 80.1
    David Garrard career QBR = 85.8

You want to play with numbers?

Plus Garrard is more mobile and IMO more accurate on the run, seemingly a better fit for the WCO.

I'm not saying Garrard is leaps and bounds ahead of Moore, but unlike you, I do see parity and believe it will be an excellent competition at QB. But, according to you, there will surely be no competition right? Moore is elite compared to Garrard?

20. Destroyer

Destroyer There for every play.

Oct 25, 2010
    Maryland
    I support Matt Moore. Get us a talented reciever in the draft.

21. MonstBlitz

Jan 14, 2008
    Hornell, NY
    It's possible to support Matt Moore and still want Miami to draft a QB. Not sure if you're suggesting WR should be pick 1, but if you are I would say that depending on Matt Moore or David Garrard to become a franchise QB would be a mistake, IMHO.

22. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I agree and disagree. I think it comes down to this.

If you are Philbin who do you feel most comfortable tying yourself down with? For example maybe he and Ireland look at the tape and decides "I don't really think any of these QB's available to us in the draft have what it takes to carry a franchise" in that case he basically has to stick with Moore. Or they can watch tape and decide that a player...Tannenhill for example, maybe they decide that the ceiling of Tannenhill isn't much higher than the ceiling on Moore and would rather dedicate the pick to another area of the team.

IMO If you don't like any of the QB's better than what you have it would be silly to take one. In a way hitching yourself to Moore is a lot like hitching yourself to a draft pick if you believe his ceiling is higher than what he's been able to do so far.

23. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    I think you aren't giving Garrard enough credit man. No he isn't and never was a franchise QB but he had to deal with a lot of the same issues Matt Moore has and you can't discount the fact that his numbers while not amazing were pretty good. You don't complete 64% of your passes in multiple seasons and have a QB rating of 85 because you suck.

You can't take the fact that he is very accurate away from him nor can you take away his mobility. Also much like Moore he never had a good offensive system nor much offensive talent at the skill positions. If you are looking for a one year starter I think he gives Moore a run for his money (if healthy and where he was before injury). I think Moore probably wins out anyway but it isn't the landslide you might think. Now if you're looking for a guy to start the next 2-3 seasons it is obviously Moore you hitch yourself to.

To add on, I'd say what Moore had to work with last season was way more than Garrard ever had.

Tone_E likes this.