1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2012 should be a very simple draft for Miami

Discussion in 'Miami Dolphins Forum' started by the 23rd, Apr 13, 2012.

1. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    basically, I think the team is set,
    we have the talent to coach our offense into a formidable unit

1) Clay will play TE in this West Coast offense opposite Fasano
    2) Gates, Hartline, Wallace & Bess @ WR provide size, speed & go-to potential
    3) Long, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Murtha (Garner/Carey) provide the makings of an excellent OL
    4) Bush & Thomas @ RB are more than adequate
    5) Moore & Gerrard @ QB allow us to begin the season competently.

the only draft pick we have to nail down is Ryan Tannehill & I believe he will be there @ eight, if not we move up & get him
    after that concern is addressed, it's a matter of best @ pick for the rest of the draft
    over-all the team looks very strong in every department offense, defense & special teams

2. BuckeyeKing

BuckeyeKing Wolves DYNASTY!!!!

Dec 6, 2007
    Ireland will not draft Tannehill at 8. It goes against how he drafts. Chances are he will draft safe/trade down.

3. Killer Bees

Killer Bees Bringin' the Ruckus

Aug 14, 2011
    Your saying our team is basically already set entering the draft? yeahhh.....

Da 'Fins and Ozzy like this.
  4. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    pretty much
    we can always upgrade through the draft but I see no glaring holes to be filled.
    wants & needs are two different things
    the only real need we have is for a Franchise QB & he is available to us in 2012
    seems simple enough to me

coaching should make the difference @ this point in our development, once the issue of the Franchise QB is behind us

5. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    Maybe you missed the fact that we went 6-10 last year

6. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    The thing is Tannehill is a huge reach at 8. There isn't a huge gap in talent when your talking about Tannehill, Weeden, and Foles. I'd rather take BPA at 8 and draft Weeden in round 2.

7. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    we don't have a WANT at or LE spot, its a NEED. we don't have a WANT at WR spot, its a NEED. Same can go for the right side of the line, we can't put the house on Jerry and Murtha at this point.

I believe coaching will make a difference but your post seems like your forgetting that we only won 6 games last year.

8. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    yeah a stud at #8 and Weeden in the 2nd would be awesome

PhinPhanatic and gunn34 like this.
  9. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I hate to say it but I think Ireland will play it safe and take DeCastro at 8. His first goal is to trade down and if that fails he will play it safe.

10. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Trade down and get another second.

1) Fleener
    2) WR (BPA)
    2) RT/DE (BPA)
    3) Osweiler
    3) DE/RT (Whichever you didn't take in 2nd)
    4) Tommy Streeter

My draft. The BPA just means BPA at the position listed. Also Buckeye if we take DeCastro I'll actually be thrilled. In my opinion he's a hall of fame talent. Usually I would never justify taking a guard that high but in my opinion an elite guard can completely change your offense in the passing AND running game.

11. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah would be boring, but we would be establishing an elite offensive line. Think about that though 5 drafts and Ireland takes 3 OLineman that's pretty nuts, some people will flip.

12. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    wouldn't get too hung up on this 6-10 thing
    two words explain it: Sparano & Henne :yes:

moan & groan & ***** all you want
    but there is talent on the team & we are not rebuilding
    the coaching cadre is experienced & motivated
    let them make the difference, it's how they earn their keep

no more excuses:no:

The_Dark_Knight and gunn34 like this.
  13. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    Yeah their is definitely talent on this roster but to say we don't have any needs entering the draft is senile.

14. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho -=| Censored |=-

Nov 13, 2009
    7 QBs. Can't miss.

GreysonWinfield, jedburg and Ozzy like this.
  15. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    Yeah but it fits what Ireland does. Trade down or takes the safest pick.

Defensively were pretty set from maybe a few needs but the offense is a mess IMO. Not rebuilding but far from being a playoff contender.

16. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    we have one real need: a Franchise QB & it must & will be addressed in this draft
    other than one real need, there are only possible upgrades
    our best strategy would be the best player regardless of position @ any given pick, rounds 2 through 7

this team needs to be coached & compete, not rebuilt
    I think it is possible that Moore can get the team into post-season this year with our current roster

with the parity in the NFL today
    the difference between teams usually can be found in 4 things:

1) Coaching!
    2) Coaching!
    3) Coaching!
    4) Franchise QB

Tannehill @ 8 :dolphin: there is no debate

17. miamiron

miamiron There's always next year

Jan 4, 2008
    Sorry but you're delusional
    We have the WORST wide receiver group in the NFL
    Our #1 wide receiver has 1 td in the past 26 games...No cause for concern here????

4 TDS all season for the group of wide receivers you have
    News flash...teams don't win when the core base of wide
    receivers have 4 tds between them.

Yeah were set on the offensive line with giving up 52 sacks last season

Garner has started 9 games in 3 years
    Murtha has started 4 games in 3 years
    Carey isn't even on the team
    Jerry is ????? He has 1 good game versus Buffalo and
    people around here have him going to Canton

Be lucky if were 6-10 next season unless we draft 8 all pro players

Aquafin, Killer Bees and Rouk like this.
  18. Ozzy

Ozzy Premium Member Luxury Box

There is no stand out talent at Qb, Safety, Wr, or at RT. RG could also use an upgrade.

The skill positions are?

We're not *****ing, or moaning! What most people are doing is pretty clear. Pretty clear that they watched the Dolphins go 6-10, and realizing that the HC and Qb were only a part of the problem.

What you're doing is well.....dreaming comes to mind!

Killer Bees likes this.
  19. MrClean

MrClean Inglourious Basterd Club Member

If Tannehill is gone by the time we pick at #8, then it is too late to trade up and get him.

20. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    :lol:

Ophinerated likes this.
  21. Ozzy

oh snap!!!

Ophinerated likes this.
  22. Onehondo

Onehondo Senior Member Club Member

Dec 20, 2007
    Chesapeake, Virginia
    Exactly, if he's not there at #8 Then trade up and get him? That would be a great trick.

23. the 23rd

the 23rd a.k.a. Rio

Apr 20, 2009
    Tampa Area
    you are certainly welcome to voice your opinions as loudly & inaccurately or legitimately as you want to pursue your end
    I'm not a pundit, however, I've participated in sports as a coach, player & fan over the course of a life-time & have seen a lot go down

I honestly see the situation in it's simplicity as I have posted it in this thread:

basically, I think the team is set,
    we have the talent to coach our offense into a formidable unit

1) Clay will play TE in this West Coast offense opposite Fasano
    2) Gates, Hartline, Wallace & Bess @ WR provide size, speed & go-to potential
    3) Long, Incognito, Pouncey, Jerry, Murtha (Garner/Carey) provide the makings of an excellent OL
    4) Bush & Thomas @ RB are more than adequate
    5) Moore & Gerrard @ QB allow us to begin the season competently.

the only draft pick we have to nail down is Ryan Tannehill & I believe he will be there @ eight, if not we move up & get him
    after that concern is addressed, it's a matter of best @ pick for the best of the draft as it falls to you
    over-all the team looks very in every department: offense, defense & special teams

Furthermore, I think Miami will finally turn the corner this season in the NFL. We will reclaim our identity & find our way to competitive & winning football by the end of this year :yes:
    Tannehill @ 8 :dolphin:

mullingan likes this.
  24. Killer Bees

Aug 14, 2011
    How can you say that with any confidence?

25. BuckeyeKing

Dec 6, 2007
    I don't know what makes you think were going to reach for Tannehill at 8 when it goes against every Ireland does in round 1.

26. alen1

alen1 New Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Maybe it's just me and with all due respect, but this thread is taking something simple and making it difficult while talking about something difficult and attempting to make it simple.

Sleepy and Nappy Roots like this.
  27. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Usually 3 out of 5 is good. Not when it comes to your offensive line in the NFL though. That right side would get its *** handed to it on a silver platter every game.

28. PSG

PSG Clear Eyes. Full Hearts.

Nov 24, 2007
    North of the Border
    If you think we're set at WR with Gates, Hartline, Bess and Wallace.....well, I don't know what to tell you.
    We have one of the 3-4 worst WR corps in the league. I would hope it gets addressed in the draft

29. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    Delorean, bro.

electrolyte, Sleepy and Nappy Roots like this.
  30. Nappy Roots

Nappy Roots Well-Known Member

Dec 3, 2007
    Bradenton,FL
    How can you truly believe that? Our line was AWFUL last season. Your just listing 3 of the starters and 2 back ups who couldn't beat the other 2 starters out. hmmmm....yea great makings.

31. MikeHoncho

Nov 13, 2009
    I thought he wrote "excellent LOLine". At least Moore will get a chance to see the rush coming head on from the right.

electrolyte and Ozzy like this.
  32. padre31

padre31 Premium Member Luxury Box

Nov 22, 2007
    inching to 100k posts
    Hmm, imo Jerry looked fine at LT late last yr, no reason to think he can't play RT then.

Big Jake was nicked up, Pouncey was a rookie playing Center, our two best OL were not exactly ready for primetime.

I do believe subtracting Colombo will be a net plus and that will go a long way to settling the OL

My real question is playmakers, at Wr, we really don't have any we have more of a consistent Wr corps.

I do think Hartline as the quasi 1 Wr is a risky proposition as he can go stretches were he is either injured or invisible. If we lose him we are down to DBess and real unknowns at Wr.

33. RickyNeverInhaled

RickyNeverInhaled Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    We were pretty good fir the second half of the season and we upgraded our coaches and we have a weak schedule.

34. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I hated the bm trade and at first thought it created a huge hole but the fact is we dont need a #1 wr with our new offense. Greenbay is full of #2 wrs. Its gonna be a team effort this year with our wide receivers. Plus our te's, rb and maybe even our new fullback we be catching more balls this year. The way I see it is our needs are: a franchise QB, a couple of olineman, and another pass rusher.

35. Alex44

Alex44 Boshosaurus Rex

Jan 7, 2008
    Hollywood, Florida
    Disagree, there is no way in hell Jerry looked okay at LT to me. The second Jake Long left the field our offensive line imploded upon itself.

36. Ozzy

You can call them #2's but two of them are excellent at it. Miami is full of 3's at best.

MrClean likes this.
  37. RickyNeverInhaled

Mar 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I was close to saying the same thing but I figured it wouldn't help my post. Lmao. Bess and hartline are close enough to #2's. Plus we can pick up a decent #2 in the draft if need be as long as it doesn't prevent us from filling bigger needs in this draft.

38. bakedmatt

bakedmatt Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Who has him going to Canton?

39. finfansince72

finfansince72 Season Ticket Holder Club Member

Dec 18, 2007
    Columbia, South Carolina
    We don't have a single star on the team, its not even close to set. That is a complete joke and misunderstanding of the roster to even think we are close to set. We are team that needs play makers on offense and defense to even compete for a playoff spot. Right now we are a team with 6-10 talent at best, if we draft well and the new coaching staff implements quality systems I think we can squeak out maybe 8-10 wins if we play good sound football and don't turn the ball over, but we need playmakers and a few stars or we will never contend in the AFC East let alone for the title. Oh yeah and we have the gaping hole at the Qb position......this team needs a lot of work.

WharfRat likes this.
  40. FanMarino

FanMarino Season Ticket Holder

Nov 24, 2007

6-10....... liking your positivity but i think you can be too positive. Our WR corp on paper is woeful.